• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steaming from under the hood and dash

Paulver

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Apex RX10 GT
Coolant steam (I assume)....... is coming out from underneath the shroud and dashboard on my 2009 Apex RX10 GT. It's not melting snow. Has the smell of antifreeze. Have been watching the coolant level and it goes down. Pulled the overflow line out to where I could watch it if it dripped.......... dry!! Checking for leaks. Haven't found any, nothing dripping on concrete floor. No temperature warning light comes on, nor any other warning lights. Engine seems to be running normally. Does the coolant system need to be bled to stop this? If so......... how do I do this?

I'm stumped.

Last edited:

Could it be the recovery tank is over-full? the "fill to" line's near the bottom of the recovery tank.

Last edited:
No...... I checked that rather carefully. Filled to correct coolant level. Even removed a little to get it to the exact amount. Engine even steams while parked in the machine shed after only a minute or two of start-up and running at idle. It's totally on a level surface, too. I've used an inspection camera in the nooks and crannies that I could fit it into, but can't seem to find anything that looks like a leak. That said, I couldn't put that camera in every little space. Way too many hoses, wires, and other obstructions.

What about the water outlets in the top of the valve cover? They have o-rings that seat into the head that could leak and puddle in those cavities

That's above my pay grade!!;) Recent hand surgeries have reduced my mechanical abilities temporarily. Getting into that engine compartment is more than I want to tackle right now...... especially since I'm not that well versed on these machines. Normally, I'd be taking things apart to see how they fit and work, but not right now.

I was hoping that I could find the issue relatively quickly and easily. It doesn't appear that it's the case. Decided to take the sled to the shop where I bought it. Already alerted the mechanic/owner.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Positive it's not. It's vapor..... not smoke. Steams up the windshield a bit. Then, evaporates into the air.

When my exhaust was starting to go on my apex when id stop trail side my cluster would steam up and as it got worse you could see steam coming from from under console depending on outside temperature at times it would be alot or a little. When sled was moving really didn't notice issue.

Did you bring sled in yet? If not start it up until red light turns off and plug exhaust with your hands using rags. I just put on welding gloves. Engine should cut out instantly if exhaust is getting out somewhere engine will not stall. It's a quick easy test.

My guess if exhaust donuts hopefully thats all it is. What year is the sled and how many miles?

It would be nice if you were correct. I'll try it when I get home a little later.

I had an issue like yours, mine was on an 18 Apex XTX

Steam from dash

Was bad reservoir tank
Small crack just under cap flange
As soon as built pressure would leak

New reservoir tank and new cap.

Even pressure tested system but did not leak as tester sealed crack just below cap when we were testing for the problem

Not sure if yours is the same problem but just trying to help

Slowride............

I went out and tried your test. It kept running! It bogged down a little, but it wouldn't quit. I also noticed that the vapor came out up front a bit heavier when the exhaust pipes were blocked. And, the vapor came out from the plastic covers beside the tail pipe when I covered the pipes. I was really pushing on the tail pipes to make sure they were "sealed".
I just went out and tried it a half dozen more times. Not only did the engine not stall, but the vapor quit flowing out from the console! Still coming out of the plastic covers...... especially the left side.
It appears that you might be correct!! I could swear that it was the cooling system leaking. Still a head scratcher!

This happened on my 09 but had way more miles on than yours..

Attachments

• C766BA45-A820-42D9-BC2D-809007CD4D9C.jpeg
    C766BA45-A820-42D9-BC2D-809007CD4D9C.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 89
Well, after talking to the shop guy where I bought the sled, I've decided that I'll ride it "as is" until I get a warning light or something else to indicate a real problem. If it's just the exhaust system leaking, it's still very rideable...... just a nuisance! Besides, being that the "blocking off the tail pipes test" seems to have stopped the vapor from coming out from the console area, the issue may have corrected itself.... at least temporarily. I'll have to ride it tonight and tomorrow to see what develops. (I'll still keep a close eye on the coolant level, though!!!!!!!!!)

Thanks to everyone for their input. Very much appreciated! Stay tuned! :sled2:
:sled2::sled2:

Well, after talking to the shop guy where I bought the sled, I've decided that I'll ride it "as is" until I get a warning light or something else to indicate a real problem. If it's just the exhaust system leaking, it's still very rideable...... just a nuisance! Besides, being that the "blocking off the tail pipes test" seems to have stopped the vapor from coming out from the console area, the issue may have corrected itself.... at least temporarily. I'll have to ride it tonight and tomorrow to see what develops. (I'll still keep a close eye on the coolant level, though!!!!!!!!!)

Thanks to everyone for their input. Very much appreciated! Stay tuned! :sled2:
:sled2::sled2:
If you ride it to long you will not be just replacing gaskets you may possibly create more problems. At some point your engine will start to backfire. I'm not telling you not to drive it but id take the time to fix it before I ride. But each to there own

Back