• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steaming from under the hood and dash

Thanks for the heads up. We don't ride them hard or for long periods of time, or that often. We ride our snowmobiles on our 52 acre farm, usually just taking a couple of spins around the property, or pulling the youngsters on their sleds. If a serious problem would develop, we're always close enough to easily get them back to the machine shed. Additionally, our winters aren't what they used to be snow-wise. Meaning..... we don't have a nice blanket of snow to ride on very often. We ride when we get enough, and they sit when we don't. That said, we'll be paying close attention to this one when we ride it. Thanks again!

I have a 2017 Apex XTX, with low mileage... and oddly enough it just started with the same symptoms... lots of steam from under the cowling, and the smell of anti-freeze. I called my buddy (Yamaha Tech), and he said to check the tank opening, where the cap is, as apparently it's a common problem for these to go "out-of-round", resulting in not being able to seal around the cap insert. Well, sure enough it appeared so. To confirm, I inserted a large socket, about the size of the opening, and confirmed it was off by a couple of millimetres. Next step is to find a new tank!

Thanks for that info. I will check mine out in the coming days to see if that is the issue. I know the other guys are saying it's an exhaust problem, and it might be, but I still suspect the cooling system.

Thanks again.

Paul

I have a 16 and it smells of antifreeze with 986 miles on it, are you talking about the over flow tank or antifreeze tank with the turn cap on it?

I'm assuming that Airboss is talking about the actual tank..... not the overflow reservoir. My overflow has a rubber cap that slips over a lip and seals it. I don't think that a slight deformation wouldn't affect that, as the rubber cap would conform to its shape.

Yes, I was referring to the smaller / outside tank with the radiator type screw on cap. In my quest to locate a replacement tank, my dealer did not have any in stock, and said it would take a week to get one in. I then went to a local sled salvage yard, and was able to get a used one. Now, here is what I discovered, where I was able to compare the used tank & cap to mine... It became apparent that my problem was with the cap itself (although the opening was still out of round) when I was able to compare the fitment of both caps, I discovered that my original cap when screwed on, that 1 of the 2 locking tabs would let go (loose its grip), and thus created the break in the seal, not allowing the system to pressurize. When I used the other cap (purchased from the salvage yard) on my original tank, it locked on securely. I ran the sled in the yard, and it seems to pressurize just fine, with no leaks. I will be taking the sled out tomorrow for a test run to confirm this will resolve my issue.

Back