• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Studding my '19 SRX

fourbarrel

Building a collection one sled at a time
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 SRX
What a PIA to stud this track!!! I think they call it a silent track,with those ramps on the inside for idler wheels to ride on for noise suppression.Yeah well those ramps are not the friendliest thing to have to work with.My track drill didn't cut through them when I drilled the holes so now I'm fighting with the studs to push them through.My hands are aching and sore from all the awkward angles of trying to force the stud through these damn rubber ramps. Does anyone have a secret to studding this type of track? I still have about half to do yet and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I just used woodys track cutter tool had no problem going through my1 inch track. Woodys track template with triggers no issue putting them in.

I've got the Woodys template too but my studs are from a local guy that sells SnowStuds products,used to be Saber.I don't know what I did wrong but the cutter just didn't take all the material out from these rubber ramps.I have never had an issue like this before with the other sleds I have studded before,but then again those tracks were not this style either.

Not sure I did 3 this pass season with no issues. Is the track cutter beat? Is it the right size diameter as the studs? Just trying to help eliminate things.

Brand new 5/16 cutter bought from the same guy I got the studs from.I have an idea that I might try tomorrow night when I finish this project.I'll take a small piece of wood and hold it against the inside of the track and redrill the hole to see if it cuts completely.

Short T handle allen inserted into stud and use that to push studs though the hole.. you want smaller hole to keep stud flex at minimum which in turn helps the stud to stay straighter and less load on the plate…. Easier for studs to pull though if hole is bigger/ sloppy right ??? Snowdust is right the cleaner the cut the better and heat helps make a good clean cut as the cutter gets hot all the better ….

get a new cutter. or make one. should be no problem.

Brand new 5/16 cutter bought from the same guy I got the studs from.I have an idea that I might try tomorrow night when I finish this project.I'll take a small piece of wood and hold it against the inside of the track and redrill the hole to see if it cuts completely.
Try sharpening cutter? Use a little lubricant right where hole is going.

Short T handle allen inserted into stud and use that to push studs though the hole.. you want smaller hole to keep stud flex at minimum which in turn helps the stud to stay straighter and less load on the plate…. Easier for studs to pull though if hole is bigger/ sloppy right ??? Snowdust is right the cleaner the cut the better and heat helps make a good clean cut as the cutter gets hot all the better ….
If you use that 22k rpm tool you do want to be quick in and out once it gets hot so the hole is nice and tight.. leave it in there too long and the holes to get a bit bigger than you would want.

Heat the cutter with a torch and re-cut the existing holes, do the same with the additional holes. It'll stink like a b!tch, but you'll get good holes

Back