• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Summer starts Good Idea?

KISS Theory. Spring comes . Stabil in gas, run for 15 minutes, change oil , hookup battery maintainer, cover it, pull out every few weeks and install a new accessory and dream about snow and drink a beer while sitting on sled, put down your buddies ski doo, laugh at your other buddies cat, take some heat about the weight of your tank of a yammie, drink another beer, dont start it up and irritate your poor yammie you know it doesnt want to run in 90 degree weather.....are you kiddin me..... ;)!

I keep the fitch fuel catalyst in mine too. The US government uses them in seldom used machines too. Changing the oil, fogging the engine and leaving it is what I am going to do next year. I have never heard of problems with fogging.

Here's the advice of guy who earns his living blending gasoline on a daily bassis (that would be me).

I run my sleds every week on a track stand on my concrete patio with a garden hose running down each running board and a sprinkler under the track for ~ 30 min. This allows me to crack the throttle open and closed to spin the track. The water spinning along with the track creates some load against the engine vs. running with no water spraying against the track. This also ensures that the engine reaches optimum opperating temps to clear out moisture in everything yet stays below the overheat temps. I also make sure the fuel tanks are near empty after the last ride and add 1/2 gal of fresh fuel (91 octane in the 900 RMK 100 LL av-gas in the SCRX-1) each time the sleds are run. If my RX-1 wasn't boosted it would get 91 Octane (see reason in last paragraph).

My reasoning for doing this is due to the fact that unless your fuel is in a tightly sealed metal container (sleds have vents and plastic tanks) the light ends will evaporate out. No amount of stabilizer can prevent this. For those who live in high humidity areas (I don't) and are worried about condesation in the fuel tank; the use of Iso-propyl alchohol will take care of this.

These light ends will be completely gone in two weeks time in an un-sealed evironment. The light ends (usually Butane) are what gives gasoline the needed vapor pressure to help with cold engine starting and smooth idle. RVP (Reed vapor Pressure) in a gasoline blend is determined by the season and elevation of its intended market area. During the winter the RVP is increased. This means once the Butane is gone your stabilized gasoline has a more concentrated ratio of heavier componants such as "FCC Gasoline" (the major ingredient in low/mid grade blends) with little vapor pressure and the greatest gumming characteristics. "FCC Gasoline" also has higher sulfur contents (leading to corrosive exhaust gasses) than "Alkylate" used in the high octane blends including av-gas. Even with the low sulfur laws coming out; FCC Gas will still contain it.

Jim

The light-ends leaving early thing may be going away in the next couple of years. The tanks are being switched over to also have a vapor barrier, and they will have the same evap systems that cars do. When not running, vents will be closed. The EPA is tightening-up the emmisions laws on quads, sleds and lawnmowers etc....

Potential good business for my company. New multi-layer blowmolding machines will be needed for all those tanks.

I run mine also, sometimes need to change plugs in the 2 stroke come winter time, but otherwise never had any issues.

But then again when you live in Iowa, snowmobile season is almost all year round and they dont sit but a couple months :tg:

Back