• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Switching from Ohlins to Fox...

Scooter02

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Viper LTX LE
I have a 2007 Apex GT with 7000 miles on it. The gentleman I bought it from in 2009 has a Fox Mega Float that he would sell to me with an exchange for my electric shock. Just wondering who has done this swap and was it worth it. Would it work best with swaping out the front shocks with floats too? I plan on keeping the sled for a while.

Thanks,
Scott

I was looking for some people that would say that it is worth the extra money to switch or keep with what I have since it wasn't really worth the extra money. I know that they are good shocks.

IMHO it depends on how you ride.

I had an 06 GT with the Ohlins and now have a 2011 with the Mega Float.

If you ride hard on crap trails get the Megafloat. If you ride a little slower or on better trails , keep the Ohlins.

The Ohlins is a much more expensive shock.

If you blow the rear fox ( kaboom ) your rear go down and finish for the ride....Keep the Ohlin in the rear.

Thanks for the responses guys. This just came up yesterday and I have been kicking it around, just wanted to hear some thoughts from people that have experience with the Mega Float verses the Ohlins.

For me, I ride pretty aggresively on" usually" smooth trails.

Scooter02 said:
Thanks for the responses guys. This just came up yesterday and I have been kicking it around, just wanted to hear some thoughts from people that have experience with the Mega Float verses the Ohlins.

For me, I ride pretty aggresively on" usually" smooth trails.
Thats a very good question,as i now have the 06 apexgt,and the stock ohlins is about shot,so later on down the road i wanted to hear about this combo to,and after riding the 2012 se with megafloat,i am not sure if i would buy one or not!

If I were you Pete I would get Carver, Hi Gear, Pioneer or another reputable shock re-builder to spruce up the Ohlin's and get it valved for you and the way you ride.

The fellow I sold my 06 Gt to did this with Shocktec in Canada and he was very
pleased with the result.

Dave

Riceburner said:
If I were you Pete I would get Carver, Hi Gear, Pioneer or another reputable shock re-builder to spruce up the Ohlin's and get it valved for you and the way you ride.

The fellow I sold my 06 Gt to did this with Shocktec in Canada and he was very
pleased with the result.

Dave
Ya,thats what i plan on doing,a guy on here has an ohlins all done up by hygear,w/his valving specs and dulerate springs already installed,and we will swap our shocks and some cash,as he has an aftermarkwt skid in his sled,and wont reinstall the mono again,so next winter i should be good to go.

Once the correct air pressure is found, the ride is unbelievable. I also thought changing the air pressure would be a hassel; it's much easier than messing with cams or spring lock washers.

i have a 2006 apex rtx. i replaced the stock KYB shock "NOT an OHLINS SHOCK" with the megafloat. it took a few rides to work out the kinks and get the megafloat set up the way i want it. 185-190 psi
I absolutely love the megafloat. i beat it and beat it some more and it takes everything i throw at it. By no means is it perfect but it is everything i had hoped it would be and a little more.
it is easy to adjust and very simple to install.
People worry about it blowing out. if it does i will limp it home and install the original stock shock while the megafloat is being repaired. everything can break. i dont spend my life worried about crap i cant control.

Back