• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Taking my XTX to the mountains.

IFlyEm

Expert
Hey,

I am looking to take a week trip out to Wyoming and will be taking my XTX. I will be doing a track swap and am open to recommendations on which track would best suit me.

Thanks!

Go bigger, 2.25 or 2.5 drop down to a 7 tooth extro and gear down. Ya might have to do some clutch work also but I'm no expert. pm turk he's the guru with the answers or ask in the mountain forum

get some wider skis, simmons gen 1 or 2s or some c & a pros. Swapping drivers sounds like way too much work just for 1 trip out west. Pretty sure you can run a 2 inch without swapping anything. Just have to remove your tunnel protectors.

If you want to keep your tunnel protectors, just get the cobra, its way better than the ripsaw. way way better.

Does anyone know if the notched challenger will fit with the tunnel protectors still in? Cause that would be the easiest, I might need to buy one of those.

This track here http://www.tracksusa.com/challenger2.html

IFlyEm, The quick and easy upgrade would be a 2" 15" wide 144" Camo Challenger. You can still use your stock 9 tooth drivers, with plenty of clearance at the front heat exchanger.
Only have to remove the tunnel protectors.
If you decide to go with a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2", then I'd recommend dropping to 8 tooth drivers. 144" tracks use 2.52" pitch drivers.
9 tooth 2.52" pitch drivers are 7.219" dia.
8 tooth 2.52" pitch drivers are 6.417" dia
7 tooth 2.52" pitch drivers are 5.615" dia.

BTW I highly recommend a set of mountain skis. Makes a big difference in front end floatation ;)!

My 2 cents worth, I put a 1.75 backcountry in my xtx as I am going out west in a couple of weeks, also a MPI stage 1 S/C. But anyway, I was up in the UP last week and went off the trail on a corner 9 going to fast) and when I hit the bank and , or back down on the snow, the track went up and tore my y pipe apart on the outside 2 pipes coming into the collector. I wish I would have left my tunnel protectors in and let it hit them instead. Everyone says take them out, and they are kind of a pain to get all the riviets but I wish I would have tried riding it first and saw if they really hit?

wel, I am not a flatland rider, so i dont have a perspective on that side of the fence...

if you want a track for out here...drop to 7th drivers and get a 2.5" paddle...go as long as you are comfy with...Oft Racing makes a nice extension kit...

You might need to gear down as well...personally, I run a 19/40 gearing...

if you jump to like say a 156 or 162 (162 MINIMUM if your a bigger guy 200+lbs.), and the 2.5" you will do just fine out west...but the bigger thing would be the rear suspension...strongly recommend migrating to Timbersled Rear skid, it is great on trail and hills...make an INSANE difference in the hills...

P.S. your skiis will be fine, dont waste your money on them unless you want a mountain purpose only sled...better places to spend the cash...but I knwo nothing abotu the XTX, does it come with same skiis as MTX?

Last year I rode with a guy for 7 days at togwotee with a completely stock Nytro XTX, ripsaw, stock skis, etc. I could not believe the places he went with that thing, if he had a better track it would have out climbed the 800R 137x1.75 easily...

Thanks for the input everyone! I am hoping that my Curve XS skis will be sufficient in the deep powder. I got into a few feet of powder in the UP and the did a good job keeping the front end on top. The biggest issue was the track digging in if I stopped in some areas. I definitely don't want to do too much work. I not going to be high marking or hill climbing with it. Just some back country riding.

IFlyEm said:
Thanks for the input everyone! I am hoping that my Curve XS skis will be sufficient in the deep powder. I got into a few feet of powder in the UP and the did a good job keeping the front end on top. The biggest issue was the track digging in if I stopped in some areas. I definitely don't want to do too much work. I not going to be high marking or hill climbing with it. Just some back country riding.

I seen a few pairs of curve XS skis out west. One pair on a M8 and another on a RMK so they should work for you.
What track are you going to run?

Thats what I am trying to figure out. The trip I am planning for isn't until next year but gathering the info early. There is also a good chance I will be running boost by then.

But I really hoping that I can just do a track swap.

im leaving in 2 weeks for the mountans with my xtx. its completly stock, and it will be the second time its went west. last year it did fine i thought, the snow was alittle more set up but i still went most places the mountain sleds did. Just had to not spend to much time in the pow or it would bury is self. you can deff tell theres a big loss of power with these sleds out in the hills, makes it a lot tougher to do some climbing but just gotta get a big run at it and itll go

I think if that notched challenger 2" will fit in without removing the tunnel protectors then it sounds like that would be the easiest way to go and the improvement over the stock ripsaw would be huge. Might just have to notch it out a little extra....

My opinion - for what it is worth

I wouldn't dump a bunch of money into it. Maybe the skis and find a used 2" track but that would be it. Stuff that might be put to good use when you ride closer to home.

What happens if you come out here and we are in a weather pattern like between New Years and three days ago? It was "hero" conditions and a stock XTX would be killer. No need for a 162 or 2.5" lugs when there is no fresh snow.

I wouldn't/won't dump $1000 into a sled for one trip, but that's just me, I'd rather take that $1000 and fund more trips so I can ride more....

Back