• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Taking the SR Viper for a spin!

Mighty said:
yamy07 said:
Yesterday was the first ride on my new motor. I should be good for another 3 yrs 5000 miles -then I'll be ready to trade up. Maybe Yamaha will have a 4 stroke that can keep up to my (then) 8 yr old doo.
Another 3 years or 5,000 miles? Good thing you don't ride alot. And as far as "keep up" I assume you mean on a tight nasty trail.
The way some of the last winters have been - 5000 miles isn't too bad. It's sad when you have more miles on the trailer than the sled each year.

yamy07 said:
JP270NYTRO said:
so is it worth selling the nytro and buying one?
That's a hard question - I put 4000 miles on my nytro before moving to the ski- doo. After blowing up my e-tec a couple weeks ago at 4500 miles, I was primed to go back to Yamaha. But it just didn't blow me away. It may have been conditions, or set-up, but I was hoping for something better. It may be the best 4 stroke out there(I haven't tried them all), but it'll struggle to keep up with the lighter 2 strokes in a twisty trail.
I hope they sell a ton of them, it means more money for sled development in the future. If I still had my nytro- I'd be very tempted. Hell, the hand warmers work- that's a big improvement already.:)

800?? enlighten us please...........

Alright, sorry about the late response guys. I turned 21 today so I was out on the town all night last night!

As Yamy07 stated, the trails were not in the greatest of condition to ride the new sleds. They were very hard packed and pretty slick along both corners.

Riding my Nytro XTX to and from the demo ride gave me a feel for how different the 2 sleds are.

PROS:
- I felt the seat was at a much better level than the Nytro, after getting back on my sled it felt like I was sitting too low.
- The seat was much more comfortable than the Nytro and it seemed to absorb more of the bumps (may have been the fox float in the back doing more work)
- Steering was an absolute breeze on these sleds (even the one with 6" carbides). The sled didn't seem to fight me in the turns like my XTX does.
- They say the sled is 20 - 30lbs lighter than the Nytro, but man, it feels sooo much lighter. It responded to my body movements much more than the Nytro.
- Very bland gauge, but its simplicity works. You're able to look down and see 4 different meters, etc within a few seconds.
- Very interesting, but still throaty sounds. Much louder than a stock Nytro.
- Large brake lever, hopefully stronger than the one on the Nytro.
- Overall the sled can be described as looking like one word, "Mean." Definitely a sweet looking ride.

CONS:
- The engine was not nearly as snappy as the Nytro, but accelerates at a decent pace from 40-80.
- Throttle was not nearly as smooth as the Nytro. (can most likely be adjusted though)
- The white on the lower right side panel was already stained/burned brown. Possibly from the exhaust? I'm not sure which side it is located on on these sleds though.

The Yamaha techs there said that they're still "fine tuning" this machine, so the actual sled will run a bit different than these current demos.

Also heard from one of the guys that Yamaha was given permission to do ANYTHING they want to with this chassis, so this machine may not even look the same come next fall.

800?? enlighten us please...........

600 e-tec. Piston ring locating pin let go, chunk jammed between a port & piston, piston skirt broke- took out cylinder & all parts and pieces dropped into crank and bearings. I got a rebuilt short block installed- $2700 later and I'm back on the trail. So I'm not so fond of the 2 strokes anymore.
I was really hoping the viper was the answer. But after riding the Viper & my sled yesterday, I came away with a new appreciation of how much catching up Yamaha has to do. For how I ride, the SkiDoo XP really works much better.

Yes I do, I'm in the process of rendering it now (25 minute video). Once it's done, I'll upload it to Youtube and post it on here.

Back