• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tank & Fuel & Milage Observations

bagadonitz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Well I was the mule again this weekend, requiring the first fill up on a day of groomed trail riding.

I ran my sled pretty low on fuel. I was carrying extra and decided not to put it in until it sputtered or I got to an actual station. The fuel station appeared before it showed any sign of being dry.

When I got to the fuel stop, the sled took 7.15 gallons. This is very promising since I was worried having read an earlier post by 08NitroRTX who had figured on 6.7 usable gallons.

On that 7.15 gallons, the odomoter on the sled was showing 100.66 miles giving me 14.1 mpg on hardpack trails. Speeds were between 35mph and 75mpg with most time spent at 55mph. Not overly impressed with the milage at this point.

Shortly after this fuel stop, I crossed 1000 miles total on this RTX and it seems somethign changed. It began to rev up much faster on the same trails and it sound and felt different. Previously I couldn't get it to reve beyond 8700 in similar conditions. After this 1000 mile mark, it will rev with ease to 9150-9200 rpm (so hard to read the damn thing to find a max). The sled will also now lift the skis when wacked open at 40 mph which I did not notice before. It really seems to have come MORE alive. I remember a similar thing at about 600 miles but this progression is much more pronounced. Yes, my belt deflection is bang on.

I refuled once since then but it was after 40 miles of hard ditch banging so I'll leave the new mpg out of this. However since that last fuel stop, I ran another 60 miles of hard packed groomed trail averaging the same speeds. I have not refuled since that (will later today hopefully) but after that 60 miles, I still have 5 bars showing. Based on that and the information in the other thread, it looks like my milage on that trip after the 1000 mile mark was between 19 and 22 mpg but at this point it is just postering and wishful thinking.

Has anyone else observed this change in ferocity of the machine after 1000 miles along with thankfully an increased fuel milage and thus range?

Discuss ;-)

while I dont have a Nytro My06 Attak took about 1500 miles before it broke in and started to run stronger. Prior to 1500 miles it would not rev past about 95-9700 rpm. AFter the 1500 mile mark it reguraly goes to 10200 no problem. 4 stroke need more miles to loosen up.

I've not been able to get over 100 miles out of a tank with mine. The closest I came I barely made it home literally on fumes. I got 98-99 miles and the sled was sputtering and dying on the ride home as the remaining fuel sloshed around in the tank. It took the 7.4 gals so it will use it all as long as the nose isn't pointed up hill. I know I was low on gas that night because my sled quit on a gentle incline while I waited for traffic to clear so I could cross the highway and ride approximately one mile home. I hope the milage improves but the 7.4 gal tank is marginal at best.

I had the same experiance that you did. The milage will continue to increase with time. Just returned from Canadian trip and was getting an honest 18-20 mpg. Sled has 2700 miles on it now. Remember mpg will vary alot with snow conditions and how much you push to fun flipper. Easing into the throttle and maintaining smooth rpm's will also drastically affect mpg. I had the same concerns as you, but give it time, it will get better. :4STroke: :4STroke: ;)!

I hope more people with high milage chime in on this thread.

I have not start my sled since to refuel and calculate the last milage. Two hours after I made this post I was out in the yard play with my 4 and 7 year old kids. My house is new and built on "made ground" that drops off on the edge of the lot. I was near there and slipped and fell down the bank backwards landing on a rock or stump under the powder and broke two vertebrea. Nothing serious but I'm sore as hell and my winter of riding is likely over. Sucks cause there is close to 30 cm in some forcasts for my area tomorrow.

I'm very interested in this post...the only concern i have for a new 09 is the fuel mileage / tank size issue...Or perhaps its a non issue

srx600 said:
I'm very interested in this post...the only concern i have for a new 09 is the fuel mileage / tank size issue...Or perhaps its a non issue

Depends on your riding conditions, style and agressiveness with the throttle. Some guys on here cruise along on hard packed groomed trails and are happy with their gas milage. The best I've ever recorded is 13 mpg. The new XTX is spec'd with a 7.4 gallon tank so it doesn't appear that Yamaha is going to produce a larger tank for the Nytro. IMO, the only reason they went to the little tank is to make the Nytro's wet weight more inline with the 2-stroke competition.

Like AK said I think 90% of it is how you ride. I have just short of 1500 miles and have ridden with two different groups of my friends and family and it makes a huge difference. When riding with the guys I get 14.5 to 15 miles to the gallon on groomed trails, pretty much hammering the entire time. Mind you that every time we filled up I was 2 to 2.5 gallons less per tank than them and they run F8's. The weekend I went up with family and rode the same trails were running at much slower speeds and more consistent stops and starts I averaged 16.5 to 17 miles per gallon for the whole weekend. I couldnt believe the difference in the mile in which my warning light came on! I also noticed a difference after getting over the 1000 mile marker but it wasnt something huge. I think it boils down to everyone thinks that they take it easy and they should get good mileage but when it really comes down to it you dont realize how many times you are really WOT or really getting on it from a corner. Lastly I think that last 10% would be sled setup, track tension, engine mods that kind of stuff. Just my 2 cents... :yam:

bagadonitz, 2400km on mine and I experienced the same thing, at 1500km the sled came alive. Until that point I was the same milage as the 600 sdi now I am always 5-6 liters better at the pump, there was also a significant performance imporvment. Now if we could only get all that snow back, 2 feet of ice is all we got out here in central NF. Went to Dayotna on the 14th and came back to this on the 21st.

GT44,

We are getting hammered right now as I type this on the avalon. Expecting 30 here today. We were down to nothing here however so don't know if the 30 will do much. At least the bare ground was good and frozen.

Now, i need to find someone to help me tie up my boots tomorrow as I'm sure the wife won't let me out on the sled with 2 cracked vertebrea.

Back