• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

THANKS to Bruce at Pioneer Performance!

So even with the M10 you're buying new shocks with the skid and rebuilding them now and then.

I guess my thought is that shocks are to some extent wear items. Espically for people who pay attention to such details. Even Ohlins need to be rebuilt now and then.

stevenknapp said:
So even with the M10 you're buying new shocks with the skid and rebuilding them now and then.

I guess my thought is that shocks are to some extent wear items. Espically for people who pay attention to such details. Even Ohlins need to be rebuilt now and then.

yea but not right out of the box!!!!!!!!! but based on what you're saying, I guess I don't pay attention to such details!

UNDECIDED I do agree with you .sled shock is outdated tech and it should have come with a high pressure gas shock.

I just ment you don't have to buy a m-10 but do see the point that the money spent puts you half way there.

The yamaha springs are overpriced though I used to buy a pair for my ski- doos for what one yamaha one costs.

"but based on what you're saying, I guess I don't pay attention to such details!"

Not my intent. I was more thinking of friends who rode/drove vehicles with really worn out shocks. Who never noticed.

stevenknapp said:
"but based on what you're saying, I guess I don't pay attention to such details!"

Not my intent. I was more thinking of friends who rode/drove vehicles with really worn out shocks. Who never noticed.

I misunderstood...sorry...no problemo! ;)! :D THis is a very sore (back) suject for me!!! :o|

Hey, undecided, what is your weight?

I've been saying all along that I can't believe that some riders are experiencing a harsh ride from the ProActive, because I thought it was too soft if anything. There was an article in the new SnowGoer where there were some responses about the '05 Vector experience after the first season. It did state that some lighter riders were complaining of a harsh/ stiff ride.

I guess that's a plus for me that I've got a few pounds on me! My suspension has no problem going through full travel. Of course, anything would feel plush when my last sled was a short travel SX chassis.

THis is a very sore (back) suject for me!!!

I've got back trouble, and rode the vector and rage back to back. I found the rage a lot smoother. So I went with it. It doesn't handle as well, but I'm trying to tweak that out.

I can tell you that after the demo, when I first got my rage, is rode horrid. I'm not sure why. I went to each suspension setting, set it back stock, and started over. Much better results. I kept making it softer, turned out I needed it firmer on the FRA and more preload.

I've had the same issues with suspension on my bike. I'll end up making small adjustments, bitching about it, only to find that I'm so far out of wack things could never be right.

twomorestrokes said:
Hey, undecided, what is your weight?

I've been saying all along that I can't believe that some riders are experiencing a harsh ride from the ProActive, because I thought it was too soft if anything. There was an article in the new SnowGoer where there were some responses about the '05 Vector experience after the first season. It did state that some lighter riders were complaining of a harsh/ stiff ride.

I guess that's a plus for me that I've got a few pounds on me! My suspension has no problem going through full travel. Of course, anything would feel plush when my last sled was a short travel SX chassis.

I weigh 210

stevenknapp said:
I'll end up making small adjustments, bitching about it, only to find that I'm so far out of wack things could never be right.

Ain't that the truth! There are enough adjustments on the front, middle and rear suspension components that you need to make sure that all of your adjustments are compatable with the others for the sled to work right. This season I finally changed some spring settings on mine and it seems to have worked well for handling purposes. I used information from this site for guidelines and it has paid off. :rocks:

Undecided, at 210 I'm back to scratching my head with your stiff riding suspension complaints. That's about what I weighed last season when I had to stiffen the rear suspension to reduce bottom out on mine. I also moved the stops to the forward hole to soften the blow. Are you sure it isn't set too soft on the torsion springs, allowing the rear to ride too low and bottom out too easily? Just a thought.

twomorestrokes said:
stevenknapp said:
I'll end up making small adjustments, bitching about it, only to find that I'm so far out of wack things could never be right.

Are you sure it isn't set too soft on the torsion springs, allowing the rear to ride too low and bottom out too easily? Just a thought.

My problem is not bottoming..it's the reverse. The skid feels like it's only using the first handful if inches of travel. Bottoming IS NOT the problem. FYI...I have the stops out completely. Rear springs were set on softest last year, but dealer moved them to middle, but snow went away and didn't ride it that way. Dealer also reset front track spring to stock setting, but haven't rode that either.

Hate to admit it, but when I'm riding, I LIKE TO RIDE, not fiddle frick around with the suspension. Trying to adjust this ir that when the skid is packed with snow and ice is a pain, and I don't expect nor want others to wait for me. All of my 15 Polarii (please dont bash them) were pretty much "get on and ride" sleds.

Wish I had the ching for an M-10!

Try firming it up! Seriously.

I'm 225+gear. On my Rage with the suspension set to medium and the preload at stock the ride felt like you described. I set the FRA to "hard" and the ride is smooth as can be. I know the Vector has no FRA adjuster, but just and example. All the guides I've seen "soft" was always 170 or less.

If nothing else, go sit on it, how much does the sled sink under your weight? Preload doesn't really change the spring rate (firm/soft) but more changes ride height. If the suspension is not operating in the right range of travel it will behave badly. Also check the damping adjustments, if any.

Not saying that the M10 won't be nice, but maybe save some bucks?

Also if you don't have the service manual that describes all the adjustments let me know. I do. I went through mine in the garage to verify things were set to "stock". In the comfort of my garage! :)

Oh, and I'm with you. If it's not setup right, I'll just suffer for the trip. Adjusting these things in the snow is just crazy. It's hard enough when the sled is dry and the garage is warm!

stevenknapp said:
Try firming it up! Seriously.

I'm 225+gear. On my Rage with the suspension set to medium and the preload at stock the ride felt like you described. I set the FRA to "hard" and the ride is smooth as can be. I know the Vector has no FRA adjuster, but just and example. All the guides I've seen "soft" was always 170 or less.

If nothing else, go sit on it, how much does the sled sink under your weight? Preload doesn't really change the spring rate (firm/soft) but more changes ride height. If the suspension is not operating in the right range of travel it will behave badly. Also check the damping adjustments, if any.

Not saying that the M10 won't be nice, but maybe save some bucks?

Also if you don't have the service manual that describes all the adjustments let me know. I do. I went through mine in the garage to verify things were set to "stock". In the comfort of my garage! :)

Oh, and I'm with you. If it's not setup right, I'll just suffer for the trip. Adjusting these things in the snow is just crazy. It's hard enough when the sled is dry and the garage is warm!

Steve:

1. Rear springs are now at med vs softest (will see how it feels)

2. Sit in was at 3" if memory serves which seems about right.

3. No damping adjustments that I'm aware of

4. I have Owners manual...not a service manual

I just ge the feeling that the rear shock is the culprit, and the next 300 or so miles might confirm it (have heard people say that with 560 mi on, the rear shock hasn't had enough time to self destruct)

Wish I had other shock options than one..Ohlin's..and it sucks IMO that you can't access the clicker easily. Plus I'd want both rebound and compress dampening if I'm gonna spend the ching, which I'm not. I have several people watching out for the $500 post '01 M10 that pops up on occasion.

Undicided - the Ohlins clicker is not that tough to adjust - remove gloves and turn the knob, ther is enough room to do that, very easy to do. I just do not understand how you can have a stiff ride. There has to be a problem with your skid. Are you going to Houghton this weekend? If you are, I would like to ride your sled and help you set it up. All I can say is that mine rides like a Cadillac. I set mine up as follow's:

Front suspension springs - full soft - just very light tension with wait off skis.

Rear suspension front shock - 3 full turns less tension than stock.

Rear springs - soft - anti bottom springs - soft

I wiegh 250 dressed - bottoms once in a while. :o| :4STroke:

Oak Hill,

That is amazing that you are set so soft, weigh a little more than I do and don't bottom out much. AWESOME!

Next year I will be going with a new Ohlins rear clicker shock and have them re-valve and re-build the front shock in the rear skid.

Back