• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Motor oil geek

Mobile1 is actually an extremely good oil. I have used it for years in my Euro Audi's and Mercedes vehicles. I used to do used oil analysis on them, but because of the extremely low wear metals using Mobile1 0-40, I quit doing it a while back. The 0-40 FS which I use in my cars, does shear to a 30 weight rather quickly, which isn't so bad as the HTHS is higher than any 30 weight, and I have been thinking about using Mobile1 0-40 in the 998 as well knowing it will shear down to a 30 weight rather quickly. Mobie1 always leaves my engine clean inside doing 10,000 mile drain intervals. I've had the valve covers off at 200,000 miles before to know.
Knapp, I think Mobile 1 is an outstanding (low performance) oil. Meaning there are better choices when considering race application.
For a guy who's just riding his sled around willy-nilly, it's perfect.
I'm thinking more along the lines of 300hp and continuous pulls, or long pulls for that matter on a lake.
I'm glad you enjoy that lake speed guy as well. Talk about breaking down an oil's ability lol. He does a pretty good job.
The other thing we always forget or at least I do, are the bearings in the turbo, again specially when boost is getting cranked up. A little extra protection doesn't hurt.
Enjoy the day, Knapp

More testing on two simular base products. This one seems to be very conclusive to the point he always tries to make.

Gave that a quick look and maybe a missed something.
Lake speed aka Motor Oil Geek shows results and includes data. He's extremely versatile, owns his own business analyzing oil, one of the guys that helped formulate the Joe Gibbs racing oil (Driven), a rep for Total Seal rings, etc.
He's totally in favor of the zddp product in the correct PPM.
Turbo, when you get a chance try to watch at least three YouTube videos that match your interest.
I'm almost positive you wouldn't come back here and find rebuttal comments to refute his findings.
I'm an advocate of gathering as much data/info as I can to make good decisions. I'm not in favor of, or against, any one motor oil "guru." Sometimes they conclude the same things, sometimes they don't. Each makes their case about how and why their data is best.
Re: Gibbs - if you go to the Rat blog, do control F (or F3) the search function will come up. Type in Gibbs (for example) and it will highlight any references to Gibbs. Of the 300 oils Rat tested (by his means/methods) and ranked for wear protection, Gibbs oils were #78, 94, 173, and 293 in ranking.
I have visited lots of YouTube oil videos.
BTW - Rat does mention multiple places that ZDDP in the right % is fine and does reduce friction but one should not base an oil selection only on zinc %.

I'm an advocate of gathering as much data/info as I can to make good decisions. I'm not in favor of, or against, any one motor oil "guru." Sometimes they conclude the same things, sometimes they don't. Each makes their case about how and why their data is best.
Re: Gibbs - if you go to the Rat blog, do control F (or F3) the search function will come up. Type in Gibbs (for example) and it will highlight any references to Gibbs. Of the 300 oils Rat tested (by his means/methods) and ranked for wear protection, Gibbs oils were #78, 94, 173, and 293 in ranking.
I have visited lots of YouTube oil videos.
BTW - Rat does mention multiple places that ZDDP in the right % is fine and does reduce friction but one should not base an oil selection only on zinc %.
Agree & understood. We have to remember that zddp is poisonous to the catalytic converter (which we don't have)
The more I research the more I see a commonality of 800ppm & additive package. In my mind they are supplementing the zddp with a more aggressive additive package to protect that very expensive catalytic converter, while still being able to protect our engines critical parts.
But I also believe zddp is the main basis for protection.
In the end we can look at the data and form our own conclusions, on what's best.
And to the placement of Joe Gibbs racing oil in the rat blog, I have no idea how he comes to those conclusions, without data to support his claims. I thought it to be an older blog?
Case in point; Valvoline VR1 racing oil has a new & improved formula, that they didn't have two years ago.

Direct from your 540 rat guy.

Like your non chemist YouTuber said the breakdown is just a chemical breakdown and not how it works in the least. Only reason he didn’t like it was because it was for some reason more money. However it’s much less for me to buy tribodyn than amsoil signature.
IMG_0216.png

Yeah, to satisfy himself he posts a video of Base oil properties. It sure would have been nice if he posted after the fact videos.
I'm thinking our biggest problem is fuel dilution. Big boost, big pumps, etc. has me processing the thought of going to a 5/40 weight. But like all things I'll need to review more and more data to come to some conclusion.

Back