• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Timberwolf electrical problem

Baron 8BU

I have a 94 timberwolf 4x4. Last summer I was out working my food plots with it. Pulling a small spring tooth drag and the a cultipacker. I started in the morning and four wheeler was running fine. As the day went on it was starting to sputter a little. Figure either getting hot or maybe some dirt in the carb. By noon the sputtering or stumbling was getting really bad to which it sputtered to a stop and died. Would not start after that.

When I got home that night I pulled the plug and held it on the engine and turned it over and it had good spark. So I took the card off and took it apart and cleaned it. There was no sign of any dirt or gunk in it. Put the carb back in and turn it over and it started but as soon as I took my thumb of the starter switch it died. No biggy tried it again. Started up and same thing. Took my thumb off the starter button and it died. So tried it again and held the starter button in and it would stay running with the starter still engaged but it was idling along. Took my thumb off and died.

So I went through the wiring to make sure nothing was broke or melted. Everything looks good.

Does any body have any ideas on what might be the problem. Runs when you hold the starter button in but dies as soon as you let go. My guess is it'll run drawing juice from the battery but when I let go of the starter button thats when the motor should be making juice and is not.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

sry it took me so long. when was the ignitin switch last looked at? sounds like it might have burnt the contacts in it.

Back