• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Time to Refresh

Bigblue1

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder RTX-LE
Apex SE
Well, with 9,800 miles on the SW and an over heated chain case the second and last time out last year due to a hairline crack and leaking fluid; decided to refresh. New chain case, gears, chain, drive axle, bearings, track and studs. With the light snow last year a little skiddish on spending 22k on a new one so a $1,500 refresh looks prudent. Besides, I like the 129" SW and I have this thing dialed in so why not? Point of the post is, while I know its cyclical, we are in one of those times where inflation has driven up prices to impactful levels, so I think many will take the route I've taken. Oh, new sled is coming while I contemplate what direction to go since no more Y sleds, but $20,500 differential for basically what I already have without upgrades is tough pill.

My thinking:
A. We've had bad snow years before, and there will be more.
B. If I can't ride it, it won't wear out sitting in my garage.
C. Because I am a "tinkerer," and can't leave anything stock, if I were to buy a new 998, it would just start the cycle of making it how I want it. Which takes lots of $.
D. I have my current sled how I want it (well, at least close). Paid cash for it so I've never had payments on it.
E. So why buy a new one for $22k, then have to put another $10k into it to make it like the one I already have. Basic chassis, engine are same.

My thinking - by the time you do all the tweeking and upgrading to get it to where you want - keep her.
Mine is a '18 with 15,000 km - and I have no plans of turning it in. Thats what kept me from buying a '22 or newer one. They have not changed substantially.
Keep her, give her love. She will treat you well.
MS

Only reasons I bought a new one was the price was right, electric power steering and the extended warranty. Nothing wrong with my 2017 no problems or issues love that sled but before they stop making them just wanted a new one to have a back up . To say I like the Sidewinder is a understatement…

Last fall I did mine. New inner chain case with bearings and seals installed from yamaha. Also replaced brake caliper assembly. Drives haft was good.
Only took it out for one ride last winter due to crappy snow conditions.
Rode my nytro rest of winter.

Replaced the inner case a couple of seasons ago, noticed the hairline crack doing off season maintenance. New chain and precision adjuster with anti-vibration skate as well. I got lucky and noticed it before it got to your level BigBlue. This off season my 18 got a new track and OEM EPS. With all my upgrades and it has EVERYTHING I still doesn't add up to the cost of a new sidewinder. I'll keep riding it for years to come.

Back