• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tips for rx-1's (rx-1 newbie)

rx1yamaha2003

just bought a pair of 2003 rx1's one stock and one jetted with aftermarket clutch. these are my first yamaha sleds and im new on this site so i was just wondering about anything i should know about these so i can make any adjustments to them before snow hits. also i've heard that simmons flexi skis are a good investment, just wondering if thats true.thanks.

I would suggest a good read is in order. There are lots of threads in the RX-1 section of this forum with tons of info there for your taking.

tune up

I would clean the carbs, rebuild all the shocks, duewl carbide the skis, check the cluches for worn parts. thats a start

I would do as much maintenance as you can, become familiar with the set up and then ride them and see what you think. Everyone has different opinions and riding styles so find out what you don't like and then search this site for suggestions. Good luck.

what kind of engine oil and what kind of gear oil should i use.. ive heard mobile one synthetic for engine but im not sure if thats true or not

Re: tune up

sxtuner said:
I would clean the carbs, rebuild all the shocks, duewl carbide the skis, check the cluches for worn parts. thats a start

I agree here although I also think fixing things that arent broke can be a waste of money. Yes keeping up with maintenence is important and Im not down grading the OP. But a lot of people like to throw money at things that dont need it. If you do not know anything about sleds, read up on and get a fall tune up on the sleds, usually between 150-250 per sled. THey will change the fluids and lube everything. If you want ask to just do a once over and see if any issues.

tune up

Cleaning the carb's will keep sled running clean and prvent burn down. rebuilding your shocks will keep the sled riding smooth, you will be surprizesed at the differance in the ride. and the duel carbides keep the sled from darting.

The mobil oil is good. I run 0w40 Mobil 1. You will get a lot of answers on the gear lube. For 15 years I have run automotive 90w in my sleds. I have the gear box apart now and my gears look great after 9 years.

go through the rear skid now before something breaks
http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/show ... hp?t=30541

install a larger front sway bar, even if you go to a stock 11mm apex sway bar, it will be better.

install a seat from an 05 or apex will save your back.
If one of them is blue, I have an 05 with a tiny hole in the back will sell reasonable.
newer front spring(straight rate will be a big help also.
set it up with the front end as low as you can get it.
install dartless plates on the stock skis will be the cheapest way to keep the darting under control.

clean the clutches and carbs, check out the chain case and make sure the reverse is adjusted correctly.

remove the bearing on the drive shaft(set screws in behind) and replace if bad, if ok, repack it with needle on grease gun or remove seal and pack(this needs to be done every spring)
check to make sure the updated lock collar has been installed on the jack shaft(updated one uses a spanner nut on back side of bearing) Change this for sure if it is not done.
run the vin at the dealer and see if the sled has any outstanding recals, there were a few on that first year sled, some free, some not.
If it has the stock finger track on it, you wont do much with it off trail. On trail, they are fast but not on the hole shot. hopefully someone changed them.
As I remember, like the apex, these sleds were over geared. maybe someone can correct me on that, think you need to go to a 23 top gear or 40 bottom
The seat is going to be the number one thing you will want to change, they are a brick and will beat your #*$&@ black and blue.
good luck with the sled. they run like a top forever.

forgot to say also, I would put a front end bushing kit in it from ulmer, the front ends are loose when new and get worse from there.

I agree on the front end parts. The only bad thing is you can't get the metal bushings for an 03. That was the only year for that size a frames. 04-06 were different. Any questions on anything you need and you will find it on this site. Jump in and learn as you go.

Back