• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top speed is 70mph

Ok well cut the track down to 1.75 and took it out today the lake was rough and in behind a island i was seeing 94 on the speedo on the trail i just made 4 passes and 95-97.
got to town and there was a short stretch of packed sled trails with minimal drifts spanked her from about 45 and she was at 95 fast and climbed to 98 then I ran out of bay.
Tach holding at 8600RPM I dont have and springs or weights at home but I did tighten up the secondary spring one notch because when backing off fast it doesnt shift all the way out so when I go to leave it jumps till its moved 20'
Dont know how close the dream-o-meter is on the viper, cant find my gps from hunting season.
You cut your 2.6 down to 1.75? Hows it holding up

Yep, my 2014 M8 didn't want to go much over 70.
I have a 2014 m8000 it doesnt to much more then 70 but i can cruise half throttle at 55-60 to cruise at 60 on my 2015 153 mtx viper i have to be 3/4 throttle and it eats gas im currently waiting on my xtx gear and chain i dont want it to go faster then 70 just would like to be able to cruise the big lakes at 60 without working the sled so hard

It's the 7 tooth drivers. I have the 21/41 gears and it changed nothing. I cut my track to 2" picked up 5 mph going to change drivers next to 8 tooth next and it should be perfect. Cruse at 85 mph 1/2 throttle with tones of power too spare, with the 6 # of boost this thing has crazy bottom end anyway. It be a little more work but cheaper to keep your stock gears and change your drivers, the only thing is I don't know if there is room for them with the full 2.6 paddle

so your saying changing from your mtx gearing to xtx gearing made no difference ??? :( not what i want to hear

It's the 7 tooth drivers. I have the 21/41 gears and it changed nothing. I cut my track to 2" picked up 5 mph going to change drivers next to 8 tooth next and it should be perfect. Cruse at 85 mph 1/2 throttle with tones of power too spare, with the 6 # of boost this thing has crazy bottom end anyway. It be a little more work but cheaper to keep your stock gears and change your drivers, the only thing is I don't know if there is room for them with the full 2.6 paddle

My non turbo XTX with 7 tooth drivers and 21/41 gearing pulls like a freight train to 70mph with a 162 Camoplast X3 (3 inch lug). I have the old 8 tooth drivers I would sell but not to Canada as it is a pain to get them there. And our other XTX Viper has a 2.6 Powerclaw with 8 inch drivers no problem.

See shagmans post about his boosted Viper, if you changed gears and it did not help I suspect clutching.

Last edited:
Now I have tested out new gear and and the new clutching setup and i am so pleased!!
Have some small adjustments still but my sled runs like nothing i've tried before.
I have tested it with GPS and looked at the speedometer on the sled, the sled is 6km/h +.
My topspeed now is 98mp/h (158km/h) and im still not reached the top rpm 8900, i'm about 400 Rpm of so next time i will remove 1gram from each weight.
I have written before that i would change my gear from 24/50 down to 21/49 and it's done.
Changed the premiere spring to a spring with lower pressure in the beginning and a higher top pressure. tried the stock weights but they are to short so shifted back to Supertip X55 weights, i have them like this now, 14-4-2 so they are 75grams.
I did the gearing change because i found the mtx 153 was to fast to be in the forest, but i faster now and smooth in the beginning like a babyass! :)
And if im not told you before, im running with a Mcxpress 190hp kit on my sled!

Bought supertips y50 from sledcompany in Sweden and also helix 46/43 and w.w.w secondary spring stock primary spring they loaded the weight tungsten in the bottom 6 shim middle 4 in the top .
The sled goes 117 km/h in the snow and shows 8100
I pull all the shim in the middle end left one in the top the tack shows 8350 hats wrong pulls hard the first 20 meter but as son the track get up som speed the rev pulls Down to 8600 and the sled feels very slow in the midrange and the top
Running mcx 190 7.9 boost

More top end pull needs more tip weight and less in the heel. Get some heel weight out and add some tip weight, more mph

Just a quick note...I switched the mtx weights to the xtx weights and got 8 mph gain. My dealer told me he replaced the 21/49 gearing with the 21/41 on another sled and didn't get any gain in speed. Thinking a driver change to the 8 tooth from a 7 tooth and leaving the gearing the same

Why not just go up in tooth count on the top gear? Say a 23-49? I would think the 8 tooth driver would get better result than just the gears if you are need to go that much faster.
for a flat lander I would either swap the track to a 2 inch or cut it down. That would shave a ton of rotating weight.

Now i have done some adjustments on the clutching !
I removed the Supertip X55 weights and changed the profil a little on the stock weights, i drilled out the outer rivets and put in a M6 bolt and nuts so the weights is still 79grams. Now the Speed follows the RPM linear put i lost about 5km/h. But now the sled pulls my arms lika a horsekick in the nuts!
So for a 190hp Viper the Supertips are to much i think... still waiting on the 21/49 gearing!

Prova supertip 50Y istället, "flackare" uppväxling i Y vikterna än XY. XY är typ gjorda för dragracing och agresiv ledkörning. Märkte jättestor skillnad i mellan 50Y och 55XY på min MCX 180 nytro XTX jag hade förut.

Today I tested my MTX SE -15 high speed and I got 82mph/132kmh about 700 meters during.

Back