• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track decision

hognit09

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 viper ltx le,2016 viper ltx dx
Looks like I got a couple of good size hole left in my track were the studs decided to leave. Really torn on what track I want to go with. 2107 RTX SE running a 290 hp TD tune with the stock 1.25 ripsaw 2 track studded but thinking I would like to go to an 1.5” track with no studs but not sure that’s a good idea with this kinda power. So do I go with the storm 1.5 or ripsaw2 1.5 or just do another 1.25 ripsaw 2 and stud it ?

Looks like I got a couple of good size hole left in my track were the studs decided to leave. Really torn on what track I want to go with. 2107 RTX SE running a 290 hp TD tune with the stock 1.25 ripsaw 2 track studded but thinking I would like to go to an 1.5” track with no studs but not sure that’s a good idea with this kinda power. So do I go with the storm 1.5 or ripsaw2 1.5 or just do another 1.25 ripsaw 2 and stud it ?
For what its worth, I swapped the studded ripsaw2 on my Viper last year and went to the Storm 150 studded. The hookup difference was amazing. I'm waiting on delivery of a Winder LTX-LE this fall and will have the dealer swap the track for a Storm 150 which I will stud after it stretches. Just need to decide on the number of studs.

I went to the rip 2 1.5 last year, I will never go back to a 1.25 track. That said, I put 192 pretty long studs into it as well, but the hook up on it is absolutely insane.

I would go with the Rip2 1.5" and Woody's megabites @ 1.74

I went with the storm on mine and it has held up great. I did 1.86 triggers and they do bend at that length. The megabites don't which is why I'd go to them if I did it again. I'd try the Rip2 based on positive feedback and the lugs are a bit stiffer.

I went Rip2 1.5 with Roetin hornet hnt 1.64 studs. I like the narrow profile and they don't bend. A sponsor here, CB performance, is a dealer for them with good pricing.
My personal experience with the Storm 1.5 is although it does provide good traction, mine started to fold lugs on my 240/270 tune after @ 2500-3000 miles. It also really started to stretch at that milage.

For what its worth, I swapped the studded ripsaw2 on my Viper last year and went to the Storm 150 studded. The hookup difference was amazing. I'm waiting on delivery of a Winder LTX-LE this fall and will have the dealer swap the track for a Storm 150 which I will stud after it stretches. Just need to decide on the number of studs.
Keep an eye on that 150, they peal lugs off real fast

Was the viper R2 a 1.25 or 1.5"

swear by the storm 2 ply .... use trigger studs ... light and sharp. as with any 1.5++ track if on glare ice constantly you may blow lugs. i havent but have heard guys have and doesnt matter which track. BUT i can tell you the durometer test on the storm is way firmer on the lugs and accelerates and brakes AMAZING ! i just limit my top speed on glare ice to 125mph..... but for the few times im ever on glare ice in quebec.i have no worries.

I just went with the Storm 1.5 and will try it first without studs. I'm at the TD 250 tune. Will add the BoP 4th wheel kit at the same time.

I have the 1.5 ice storm on my viper that my wife now rides, but I question the durability on a 290 tuned sidewinder without studs

I have the 1.5 ice storm on my viper that my wife now rides, but I question the durability on a 290 tuned sidewinder without studs
I agree with the single ply Ice Storm's durability with a tuned Sidewinder as like you, I have the Ice Storm 1.5 on my Apex XTX and it's been great but since radta7 mentioned the Storm 1.5 track and possibly studding in the future, I suspect he is referring to the 2-ply Storm 1.5 track (ie not the pre-studded version) since I've read other tuned winders stating that they too run that track.

I went from a 1.75 backcountry x track with no studs to a storm 1.50 2 ply with 196 1.86 studs.
The backcountry has stiffer lugs.
Have over 3000 UP miles on the storm 1.50.
If the track isn't banjo tight the studs will hit the tunnel from lugs folding over when they hit the rear heat exchanger tubes.
Had to install full length tunnel protectors with front trimmed off for clearance or 1.5 track will hit tunnel protectors.

Agreed.. The track has to be adjusted with the long studs. I don't run protectors and haven't hit but I always have my track set right. (good over 120mph) I did try the protectors, but they would rub and rob speed so I took them off. You'd have to trim quite a bit to make them work, but good insurance for sure.

Last year I posted what I did for tunnel protectors along with using the BOP hose protectors. Worked very well.

Back