• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

track racheting problem?

TrailxRider

Expert
I bought an 07 nytro not to long ago and when I have the rear track elevated and I run the sled it sounds like the track is racheting....atleast that's what I think. Track is up high enough so none of the track is touching the groung but as soon as the track starts moving it makes a loud slapping kind of noise. I bought the sled new and the track hasnt been losened or tightened so I'm guessing maybe it stretched b/c its so new and isnt broke all the way in. When the track is elevated it's not supposed ot make any weird noise is it? is this a fix I can do my self and if so how do I know how much to tighten is withought messing up the hyfax or other parts.

at the end of last winter I noticed this also but only when loeading the sled up my friends ramp onto his truck.

the slapping sound when the sled is off the ground is the track hitting the rail caps. How much free hang do you have now? Maxdlx

TrailxRider, I have had racheting problems with my 07 in deep wet snow. I popped onto the forum today to see if there were any fixes. Looks like the best choice is an external drive sprocket. But that means a new fully clipped track. Not ready to do that yet though...

Aaron

You don't need to run a fully clipped track to use the external drivers. You just need to have all the windows open.

I've got 2000+ miles on my setup ... external drivers, all windows open, clipped every third.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. This is my first sled. When I lift up the rear it doesn't look like the track is to lose so I'm hoping its just normal and when it gets even colder outside it will tighten up and go away. If not then I'll look more into it.

I really need to get a service manual to learn more about this sled :dunno:

Dude, just listen to maxdlx.... he's RIGHT! The thing isn't ratcheting. The track is slapping the end caps on the front of the rails. It won't do it when it's on the ground in it's normal position. My Nytro does the same thing. Check your tension as per the owners manual, keep it a little on the loose side, and don't worry about it.

All sleds tracks sound horrible running on a stand IMO. Just verify the tension and alignment and its probably fine....

Have you checked the drive belt for flat spots. If you are new to this sport and were holding the brake while reving the motor enough to enguage the clutch then it will burn the belt enough to cause a flat "ie Narrow spot" in the drive belt and it will feel and sound like it is the track ratcheting

the track is supposed to make noise on a stand because its NOT meant to be driven on the stand. If your track is ratcheting in deep snow you will know when it does (hit throttle and hear loud ratchet = track to loose), but other than that it will not ratchet on hard pack on or a stand. check you maunual on how tight your track is supposed to be and adjust it accordingly. its very easy to do.

I have 4500 miles on an 06' nytro and i have adjusted my track 3 or 4 times because it stretched. there is no need for after market parts, its just normal wear and tear.

Back