• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trading a 2005 RS Rage for a 2012 carryover XTX. Questions.

I ran the tuner skis last winter with a 4&4 combo.
Worked great and I have absolutely no complaints. As good as many others at 1/2 the price.

I really think the BC 1.75 track is a great improvement. I always up-grade mine when they are brand new. My dealer will take the oem track in on trade and put it in his parts inv. or return it to the track company and only charge me for the difference. You may want to check that out with him before you ride the sled. Once you ride it, it will not be worth near as much. I usually trade up to the 1.75 for $50. As long as you run ice scrathers, no difference in slider wear. Just my 2cents worth

maxxp said:
I ran the tuner skis last winter with a 4&4 combo.
Worked great and I have absolutely no complaints. As good as many others at 1/2 the price.

Yeah the more I read I do think the dual tuner ski is an accessory that I will add since the price seems pretty good for what you get. I'm not willing or able to throw thousands into re-doing the entire sled. I put on a mountain strap so I have something to grab, a white ultra skid plate and I am probably going to do the dual tuner ski. Other then that and some suspension adjustment I'm going to ride it stock. I bet I will still have a great time on it.

I wanted to make a reply since I got a chance to ride my new '12 XTX. Wow! I LOVE it! The only mods I did was swap the stock skis for the new Tuner skis running a 4" carbide inside and a standard bar outside. I ensured that the sled was properly toed out and set my preload on the highest setting since I am about 215 lbs. with all my riding gear on. I just left the shocks set in the middle from the factory. I did install the Mountain Tech full skid plate and a windshield and tank bag for storage. Other then that I am riding a stocker. In mixed conditions I made it about 100 miles before the low fuel light came on for good and I was looking for a gas pump. Riding in the Big Horns was mixed between smooth groomed trail, rough trail, some powder, a few lake runs and I tried a couple of hills for fun. I rode about 185 miles with my Dad. He has a short tracked Arctic Cat Z1 4-Stroke and there was no comparison. The Nytro out handled it and was more fun to ride. It was a little chilly, but I stayed warm. The hand and thumb warmers are HOT. So I guess that must be something that Yamaha has fixed over the years. I also wear a BRP Mod 2 helmet so that helps keep me warm.

There is no darting and the sled is very predictable on the corners. I got a chance to run it up on a few long stretches of trail and it was steady and felt well planted. There was a little bit of ski-lift, but completely predictable and overall I would say that the I felt totally confident in how the sled handled. The ride was a bit firm, but how I like it. No matter what I did with the Nytro it felt stable and I guess I was expecting less after reading some other posts. I'm not sure how much those Tuner skis change this sled, but I know from everything I have heard the Nytro has always felt "nosey" but mine sure didn't feel that way. I liked the riding position and the transition from sitting to standing is easy. I couldn't stand easily on my old Rage and in the real rough areas it is nice to be able to stand up.

After I traded my Rage in and started to read the forums I was a little concerned about how I might like the Nytro and some made it sound like a lot of expensive changes would have to be made to make it rideable. I did not find this to be the case and maybe I am just not as picky as some people out there, but I found the stock XTX with the Tuners to be a complete joy to ride and a lot of fun.

Anyhow I just wanted to give an update and let everyone know that I am very happy with my sled. Yes it is heavier then the 2 strokes, but I came from a Rage which felt a lot heavier even if it wasn't much heavier on paper. I guess if a person was coming from a light little 2 stroke then the weight might be an issue, but since I expected it I was actually very surprised how agile it felt. Some companies do put weight before everything else, but then you end up with something pretty flimsy and that is one thing my Nytro is not. Very solid built.

Anyhow sorry for the long winded report. I am just SO HAPPY with the sled and it MOVES. Punch it and you are smiling!

Back