• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trailer Idea sound stupid or good ?

LLCCD69

Veteran
First off I wasnt sure where to post this so sorry if i put it in the wrong place. I dunno bout the rest of yuo guys/gals but i have gone away on sled trips. When i leave the house the battery is fully charged but when gettin to the riding spot the battery is dead probably due to extreme cold :o| I have a 7 way plug on my truck that i tow a camper with and am thinking of modifying the plug so i can run charging lines to the trailer where they could be hooked to the sleds while in transit and the batteries charged the whole way on the trip just like the camper batteries are. It works with the camper so i dont see why this wont work. Still in the planning stages and if it ever happens and works i will post pix and diagrams :jump: Guess i have too much time on my hands huh :sled1:

I'm not sure about wiring another battery into your system (you might need something more than a fuse?) but your battery shouldn't go dead on the trip if it's fully charged when you leave.

I echo the new battery.

But along those lines, I tried something similar to charge the battery that I have in my trailer for interior lights. I got a neat little auto reset circuit breaker so a bad trailer battery wouldn't blow a truck fuse, and used diodes so the juice would flow one way only, the trailer battery would not light up my truck lights.

Set it up and only had 11.5 volts. Checked all the connections, still 11.5. Then I tested the plug at the back of the truck, same thing. Even going upstream of the plug, I wasn't getting a full 12 volts going back to the trailer. I pulled OK for years, the missing half a volt didn't matter the trailer lights, but that won't work for charging a battery.

The other thing that you have to beware of is that newer vehicles have circuits that are very sensitive. I bought a Murano and to add a hitch I was told that some 'electronic module' was needed and you couldn't just wire into the tail lights like the good old days. They said one guy tried that and blew something to do with the electronic transmission controls and it cost a couple thousand to fix.

Back