• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Troubleshoot Starting

wavemaster

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper XTX, Nytro XTX, Phazer FX
OK, I have a 2007 PhazerFX that is starting to have an issue starting.

Problem - sometimes when turning the key, the starter will not engage. If you continue to cycle it on/off it will start (sometimes up to 20 on/offs) Occasionally when it is doing it, it will flash a 12 (crankshaft position sensor) if you keep cycling the key, it will go away and start.

What I can confirm,
Voltage on battery sitting in trailer (over a month) 12.4
Voltage when started/running 14.3 will climb to about 14.6 +/- after a minute or so.
Turning the key on always primes the fuel pump
Turning the key on always clicks by the relays

What I have done so far,

I confirmed the starter lines up (green line with cast line) while doing the seasonal oil change and added Lock-Tite to each bolt at the time to ensure it will remain lined up.

It did NOT have the ground block update done, so I made a new home run to the battery ground for wires 5 and 6. I did NOT see any indication of burnt or melted wires when doing it.

What would be the next step in troubleshooting?

Is the starter turning and not engaging or is the starter not turning?

When it is doing it, no sound from the starter at all (not turning). When it catches, the starter sounds and starts like it always has.

That sounds to me like the problem is probably in the relay. If it corrodes inside the contacts may not be able to close properly to energize the starter. A less likely problem would be in the key switch itself.

The starter relay? Is it part of the solenoid or is it a discreet relay?

How do you test a relay, or do you simply buy a spare and replace it?

Yamaha calls it a relay, it is more of a solenoid in my opinion.

You could check to see if the solenoid gets power when the key is turned to START. If the relay is receiving the "start signal" but does not send power to the starter that would indicate the starter relay is not completing the circuit.

And if it is not, it would be the key/switch? I don't have my meter clips or another set of hands right now so I will investigate this tomorrow.

Does the ecu need to tell the solenoid to go, or is it direct from the key?

Thanks a ton for the help.

should be direct from key to starter solenoid/relay.

starter could also be flat spotted in one spot so that brushes are not making good contact but i would save this for last resort.

If when you experience the problem the solenoid does not receive power from the switch I would suspect the solenoid is good. From there you would have to check there the power stops. I would bet on the solenoid being the problem though.

Looking at the wiring diagrams the key switch is direct to the solenoid.

The 07's where also prone to the starter bolts backing off and allowing the starter to twist the body casing. I would look at the relay first. Cheapest and easiest to check. I know allot guys here have had to re-loctite the bolts on their 07's.

My 07 does that when its been humid or I allowed snow to melt around the solenoid. I will cycle the key a few times and then it engages.

Most of my old water-craft do that also. I attribute this to corrosion or lack of being completely sealed solenoid/relays.

There is an updated solenoid/relay for the Phazer....does someone still have the NAPA code?

.....I would bet on the solenoid being the problem though.

You sir get the prize.

I cycled the key repeatedly while watching voltage on the starter side of the solenoid and it was the solenoid that was failing.

Took one off a 05 warrior part out we have (it was always bulletproof starting wise) and no more problem. The one that came off the phazer was all corroded so I cleaned up the wires and greased the connections before installing the new/old one.

Thank you the help and advice.

It is on the front facing side of the battery, has the 2 larger wires attached to it.

Back