• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vecter or Poo Classic

The Vector gives an incredibly smooth ride nor do the shocks NEED to be revalved......for most people. Fact.

The reliability and longevity of its engine is quickly becoming legendary. Period.

Hyfax wear....again, apparently a problem for SOME people, not all. I have no issues with mine.

Fuel economy will surely be better on the Vector.

If reliability, longevity and comfort are key for you....go with the Vector.

Mainecabin,
If you are looking into a Vector GT - that model has the Mono shock rear suspension which rides very plush. For the money, I would not replace the mono shock with a M10, the mono works great.

Test drive the Vector GT. I think you will be very happy with the Yamaha

The vector with the pro-active (2005) can be very smooth too if you replace the POS rear shock with an ohlin and set it up right doesn't bottom as easily as the mono either IMO

Octane said:
12-13 mpg is great milage for a Polaris 700. My brother has an '03 Polaris Pro-X 700 and if he babies his sled it will get 10, not much more.
Honestly, if you wanted a Polaris Id go with a 600 over a 700. The 600 makes about 8 hp less than the 700, but the 600 gets about 4-6 better mpg. I can easily pull 16 mpg on my '01 600 XC and I do not baby my sled (never have, never will). Also, with the 700 there is a water pump that needs to be inspected ever 1500 miles. You dont have to worry about this on the 600. I think the water pump on the 600 is gear-driven.

The Poo 600 is their smallblock as has proven to be bulletproof. THe 700 is their bigblock, and has had crank problems. THe 600 makes a bit less hp but is barely noticeable. I had both engines in the past.

Tfin said:
The Vector gives an incredibly smooth ride nor do the shocks NEED to be revalved......for most people. Fact.

YES THEY DO - fact

The reliability and longevity of its engine is quickly becoming legendary. Period.

RELIABILTY - YES - longevity?? - how can you say that on an engine that's been out for 2 years? THe Poo 600 smallblock has been out for over 6 years and there are engines out there with well over 20K miles on them without a problem

Hyfax wear....again, apparently a problem for SOME people, not all. I have no issues with mine.

SOME must equal 9 out of 10. Between the hyfax and bogie wheel issues this sled is getting expensive to own

For Sure - but he STATED he doesnt care about it

Tfin - with all do respect, your undies are blue. The sun would rise in the west if you said to get anything other than the Yamaha. :Rockon:

I based my opinion not only on having owned/rode serious miles on the sleds the guy is looking at but primarily on what he wants out of the sled.

If you guys SERIOUSLY think the Mono offers a better trail cruising ride better than the 128" M10, you take the term "brand biased" into a whole new dimension.

undecided said:
The Poo 600 is their smallblock as has proven to be bulletproof. THe 700 is their bigblock, and has had crank problems. THe 600 makes a bit less hp but is barely noticeable. I had both engines in the past.
I cant argue with that. ;)! My '01 600 XC has 5300 miles on it and the motor is still running strong. It alway starts on the 2nd pull (yeah, yeah, I gotta start it with the rope, stop laughing), gets 16 mpg on average and still has 120 psi of compression in both cylinders.
I had a '99 700 XC and the milage was terrible. I was lucky to get 10 mpg. It really wasnt any faster than the 600 I have now is. (the wonders of variable exhaust valves ;)! )
Honestly, I wouldnt even consider a Polaris sled that has a 700 or 800 in it. Terrible milage, crank bearing issues and the power isnt that great either. The 600 is still the way to go, IMO.
BTW, Ive heard of some cases of crank bearing failures on the 600s, but its nowhere near as common as it is on the 700s and 800s.

Octane said:
undecided said:
I cant argue with that. ;)! My '01 600 XC has 5300 miles on it and the motor is still running strong. It alway starts on the 2nd pull (yeah, yeah, I gotta start it with the rope, stop laughing), gets 16 mpg on average and still has 120 psi of compression in both cylinders.
I had a '99 700 XC and the milage was terrible. I was lucky to get 10 mpg. It really wasnt any faster than the 600 I have now is. (the wonders of variable exhaust valves ;)! )
Honestly, I wouldnt even consider a Polaris sled that has a 700 or 800 in it. Terrible milage, crank bearing issues and the power isnt that great either. The 600 is still the way to go, IMO.
BTW, Ive heard of some cases of crank bearing failures on the 600s, but its nowhere near as common as it is on the 700s and 800s.

Good points on the motors Octane. 600 smallblock w/VES has good power and torque and gets decent gas mileage. THe M10 drains off some of the gas mileage though.

Poo made a 600 bigblock (like on my 2000 600XC Deluxe) that didn't have VES and was known to be a gas hog like the 700's. THe big block Poo motors were never known to get good gas mileage, and they all had their share of crank issues.

Yeah, I used to have a '98 600 XC. I loved the torque and sound of that engine, but 12 mpg sucked.
Exhaust valves are worth their weight in gold, IMO. Sure, there is a little bit more maintenace, but I can have the valves on my Polaris out, cleaned and put back in the sled in less than 15 minutes.

I had a 01 600 Classic w/M10 and wife a 03 XCSP 500 w/M10 Love the ride of the M10. We are both riding ER's Apex & Vector. Not as a smooth ride but as the M10. Apex classy similar to Nitro with the 1200 motor rides great for me. I like the sitting postion much better. Played with the suspension settings so got it set where it takes the bumps satifactory. The big ones I can easily lift off the seat to miss the jar. I love the gas milage and oil comsuption (zero). If you are a trail rider like me than you will not be displeased with a 4 stroke. Take a look at the Nitro with the 120. Apex has the mid range of a 600-700cc two stroke. Plenty of power and comfortable ride. I Vector rides more of the traditional sit down style riding but has plenty of performance for the trail.

undecided said:
Tfin said:

YES THEY DO - fact

RELIABILTY - YES - longevity?? - how can you say that on an engine that's been out for 2 years? THe Poo 600 smallblock has been out for over 6 years and there are engines out there with well over 20K miles on them without a problem

SOME must equal 9 out of 10. Between the hyfax and bogie wheel issues this sled is getting expensive to own

Tfin - with all do respect, your undies are blue. The sun would rise in the west if you said to get anything other than the Yamaha. :Rockon:

I based my opinion not only on having owned/rode serious miles on the sleds the guy is looking at but primarily on what he wants out of the sled.

If you guys SERIOUSLY think the Mono offers a better trail cruising ride better than the 128" M10, you take the term "brand biased" into a whole new dimension.

Listen, you don't know me from a hole in the ground....so don't presume to, you only make yourself sound foolish......with all due respect of course. 8)

NO, not ALL Vector shocks NEED to be revalved. FACT. Everythings relative, so don't attempt to sway someone with statements based on your personal preferences.

Longevity has been proven on the 120hp three cylinder engine. Now since I'm the type of person that doesn't let my emotions overpower my thinking, I'll conceed that I don't have all the statistics from every Yamaha dealer out there. But I'd be willing to bet dimes to donuts that the number of engine related problems on ALL RS series engines from the last two years is smaller than the number of engine related problems from the Polaris 600 small block in its first two plus years of service.

Nine out of ten hu? Lets see your proven statistics, numbers etc. Maybe nine out of ten people on this web site. I hate to break it to you, but this website (as good as it is) is only a drop in the bucket as far as the number of people out there riding Yamaha sleds. Seriously....stop and think for a moment before you type.

Just because I don't have the time to post here much, doesn't mean that I don't read it from time to time. In that time I can certainly see that you've had some issues with your sled. I can accept that....who couldn't. But just because you have, and you read on an internet forum (where people specifically go to complain) that some others have too, you go into tiraids about how ALL RS series shocks NEED to be revalved, and ALL RS sleds wear through their hyfax prematurely. Whether you want to admit it or not, these simply are not facts. End of story.

Tfin said:
undecided said:
Tfin said:

YES THEY DO - fact

Listen, you don't know me from a hole in the ground....so don't presume to, you only make yourself sound foolish......with all due respect of course. 8)

NO, not ALL Vector shocks NEED to be revalved. FACT. Everythings relative, so don't attempt to sway someone with statements based on your personal preferences.

Longevity has been proven on the 120hp three cylinder engine. Now since I'm the type of person that doesn't let my emotions overpower my thinking, I'll conceed that I don't have all the statistics from every Yamaha dealer out there. But I'd be willing to bet dimes to donuts that the number of engine related problems on ALL RS series engines from the last two years is smaller than the number of engine related problems from the Polaris 600 small block in its first two plus years of service.

Nine out of ten hu? Lets see your proven statistics, numbers etc. Maybe nine out of ten people on this web site. I hate to break it to you, but this website (as good as it is) is only a drop in the bucket as far as the number of people out there riding Yamaha sleds. Seriously....stop and think for a moment before you type.

Just because I don't have the time to post here much, doesn't mean that I don't read it from time to time. In that time I can certainly see that you've had some issues with your sled. I can accept that....who couldn't. But just because you have, and you read on an internet forum (where people specifically go to complain) that some others have too, you go into tiraids about how ALL RS series shocks NEED to be revalved, and ALL RS sleds wear through their hyfax prematurely. Whether you want to admit it or not, these simply are not facts. End of story.

You Sir are another prime example of how the Internet makes people think they are bigger/better than they really are. Moderator or not, friend of Tom's or not, it's easy to read thru your Yami blood.

BTW - I really LIKE my sled now! ;)!

To each his own, however I'm not going to attempt to argue with ignorance over the internet. It simply isn't worth my time.

Incidentally, I'm glad to hear you like your sled though.....now.

Tfin said:
To each his own, however I'm not going to attempt to argue with ignorance over the internet. It simply isn't worth my time.

Incidentally, I'm glad to hear you like your sled though.....now.

Nor is it worth mine....

QCRider said:
Glad you two got that worked out. For the record, I agree with Tfin. I have not seen excessive hyfax wear or had any problems with shocks on the two Vecotrs I have ridden and ridden with.

QC -- my dealer has two locations...both locations are having problems with excessive hyfax wear complaint s by their customers. THey believe it to be a combination of things.

1. Closed holes in track
2. Track not fully clipped - rubber on plastic is not a good combo
3. 1" wide track window -- too narrow -- wont allow enough snow inside of the track
4. Tracks are set too tight -- run the track as loose as possible.

My track is being fully clipped next Tuesday.

As to the front shocks...it's NOT that there are problems with them, they, like is typical with Yami gas shocks are valved too stiff for your everyday trail rider like me. Most people won't do anything nor complain because they dont know any better. They say to themselves..."this sled ides harsh..next year I'm getting something that rides better"...and that's what they do.

Like I told you b4 (in good fun) that up in QE, you could have a sled withg 4" of suspension and they're ride nice cuz your trails are SO GOOD up there all the time!!! ;)!

Back