• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector replacement starter help

Robbyb55

I have read many posts about starter replacement and am totally confused. Some people say stay with OEM but then I read that OEM has magnet issues hence reason for failure. Aftermarket starters vary in price dramatically. Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality aftermarket starter? Many articles state concerns on aftermarket durability issues but if the OEM units are failing what is the difference other than initial price? My new to me sled is a 2006 Vector GT and first 4 stroke.
DB electrical, Niche, Rare electrical, which is better?

When it comes to electrical components like the stator I replaced, I tend to agree with Teamblue4 and stick with OEM. However, when the starter failed on my 08 Apex, I opted to go with one of @hibshman25 of Barn of Part aftermarket starters. The ONLY reason I opted to go with an aftermarket starter was due to the relative ease as to which it was to remove/replace the starter on the Apex. Although I have not had any issues with that aftermarket one, knowing the work involved with replacing the starter on your Vector, I would probably lean towards OEM. Maybe give him a call to see what he recommends. ;)!

The starter I just replaced with in my friends Venture had been in there for 18 years without issue. That’s pretty good I think. Maybe quality was better back then?

I called a local Yamaha dealer today and all yamaha starters are on backlog until end of December. He is pushing aftermarket but has to order it. None in stock. Sounds like there is a high demand for starters currently.

Barn of parts can get you a good used one or new after market and he a site sponsor.

DBelectrical has a starter #410-54116 that they say fits my machine but they reference Yamaha# 8GL81890-00-00 . Looking at yamaha replacement parts the number I find is 8GL81890-01-00. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 00-00 and the 01-00 units?

I called a local Yamaha dealer today and all yamaha starters are on backlog until end of December. He is pushing aftermarket but has to order it. None in stock. Sounds like there is a high demand for starters currently.
There is a new OEM one on Ebay in Canada

DBelectrical has a starter #410-54116 that they say fits my machine but they reference Yamaha# 8GL81890-00-00 . Looking at yamaha replacement parts the number I find is 8GL81890-01-00. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 00-00 and the 01-00 units?
Not sure what you used for looking up replacement parts but when I looked up part# 8GL-81890-01-00, comes back as the starter for just the 2023 Sidewinder whereas part# 8GL-81890-00-00 comes back as the starter for a plethora of Yamaha snowmobiles like the Nytro, Venture, Vector, and older Sidewinders that span several years models.

I found the 8gl81890-01-00 number on Yamaha Parts Nation. Just checked it again and this is what is listed. Checked other parts site and they list the 00-00 number. That is why I was concerned.

It would appear that 8GL-81890-01-00 superceded 8GL-81890-00-00 and that is what the '-01' is indicating; it's the next revision of the previous part number of 8GL-81890-00-00. More than likely, that is why Parts Nation only shows results for the 01 (ie. it's the only current part number) whereas others like Partzilla show both. Hope this helps.

Back