• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Venture TF or Viking Pro ??

NFLD-Nytro

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Some quick background;

We're in need of another sled, and I'm leaning towards a mature, grown-up sled. Something I can use for putting on lots of miles, for exploring, for riding two-up, hauling a sleigh, getting some firewood, maybe hauling a few logs. But it's got to be fun to ride as well.

I absolutely love Yamaha's triple (I have close to 17,000kms on my Nytro) so the idea of a Venture Multi-purpose is not so attractive, even if I haven't crossed it off my list completely.

I know the Viking is a big brute, but I've also seen what they're capable of in low range, and it's damned impressive. And by all accounts the '13's are really improved.

At the same time, I'm sure the Venture would be A LOT more fun to ride, and a 151" track is nothing to sneeze at.

So, if you want a machine primarily for touring and joy riding, but need it to do some work as well, would you be better off with a Venture TF or a Viking Pro?

NFLD-Nytro said:
So, if you want a machine primarily for touring and joy riding, but need it to do some work as well, would you be better off with a Venture TF or a Viking Pro?

By it's very name, "work" is not meant to be fun. If your primary use is touring and joy riding, then get the one that is better at that (Venture TF). If your primary use was work, then get the one that's better at that (Viking). Even if the Venture TF is tons worse than the Viking for work, work is already not fun, so who cares? Are you ever really going to need the 2-speed transmission for your work? Can't you just make 2 trips for firewood rather than one big trip?

Plus, doesn't the Viking have the carb 973cc instead of the FI 1049cc engine?

Just my humble input.

Andy

Venture for a dual purpose, but if you need something to truely do some work then the Viking for sure, they are basically an ATV on Ski's. A tank to Ride tho, They are not meant to be a fun ride.

My Dad had an older Venture last season, and it is a fun sled, you can pull a sleigh without issue, you don't even notice a second person on it behind you, and hauling some firewood or logs should be no issue, as long as you don't overload it.

That being said a venture is a tank too, and if you go off trail you sink pretty quick, and when its stuck...it SUCKS! His was very tippy as well, not sure if that has been addressed in the newer ones.

Working ability is an advantage of the VK, for sure, and it would be overkill for what I want it to do, there's no doubt about that. But what I like about it is the low range, and just how capable it is at tooling around in deep snow.

And the price, of course. It's quite a bit cheaper than the EPS equipped venture.

agriffin was probably right, in that is you want something for fun, the Venture would be a better option, and would be much nicer to trail ride, I've no doubt. But as Dreams_of_Apex said, the Venture is a tank too, so if you're going to have a tank, maybe a tank with low-range is a better choice?

It is a tough choice. I wish manufacturers and dealers made it easier to take sleds for a test drive.

I have heard that the VK Pro's are very difficult to handle off trail due to their heavy nature/wide track/etc. (maybe the newer ones are improved) I use my VL for pulling and it is excellent with no issues whatsoever so the TF would be even better - those 4 strokes are very strong torquey engines. BTW, the VL/MP are also better handling sleds in my opinion both on an off trail.

Back