• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vibration in feet

Dilly

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder LTX SE
Hey guys need some input- I have blown 3 belts in the last 150miles now there’s a vibration on my feet when I go to give it gas. Any ideas as what could b going on? Running Dalton Dtay1 clutch kit secondary and primary springs. Secondary is getting pretty hot ,

3 belts in 150 miles says you got some clutching issues.. And the blown belts have probably moved your stub shaft.. So now your 59MM is suspect..
First would be to check the stub shaft. And if its moved that would have to be removed and reinstalled.. Then check your offset. You say your secondary is very hot. So adjust the wrap on the secondary spring.. Guessing you need more twist to hold the belt tighter.. Belt is probably being pulled right through secondary>slipping>causing heat..
Also you say the sled has 4500 miles and you just blew 3 belts in the last 150? ANY belts blown in the 4350 Miles? So did you change the clutching just before the 150 miles of belt blowing? Might want to list exactly what components your using in both clutches, and if your engine is stock or tuned. A lot of great minds on here and I'm betting you will get the help you need to solve your issues, but realize we need DETAILS.

My stub shaft did not cause a vibration. But when the bushing on the secondary slid towards the bearing, lot of vibration, and the clutches were cooking hot.
Like riding a cement mixer.....
Flat spotted one roller.

Like Jon said, check that inner busing on the secondary, Also check the runout on the secondary, I've seen blown belts actually bend the sheaves along with bend the jackshaft. Also check the primary real well to, many times they to can get bent up on the towers.

You need to go over everything from the stub shaft to the jackshaft if its vibrating after blowing three belts. 1 belt could be a freak thing, 2 belts you have a problem that needs addressed.

It sounds as though that you have a setup that is not happy, we'll need to know exact setup to help you figure out why its blowing belts now suddenly.

Ok guys I’m running Dalton d-tay1 for weights with the dalton springs . Secondary set at 6&2 with stock helix. Also have the Td power trail 270 . Today I took apart all clutches and cleaned them. Also pulled driveshaft bearing and replaced. Shouldn’t even say I pulled it it fell out( what a joke)so I’m pretty sure that was my vibration. I’m running the daltons empty cause they came at 75g and it pulls like a freight train hits and holds 9050rpms .
Do u think the belts were blowing because of that bearing? 2 weeks ago in Michigan blew the track rite out of the skid and replaced w 1 1/2 ripsaw 2 but now dealing with belts. Before it was tuned I blew 2 belts also the First time was because of Yamaha shitty rollers Going flat the thunders took care of that problem. Absolutely love the sled but guy would think for $20G’s Yamaha would step up and fix the #*$&@ they know is wrong ! Thanks for all the advise I’ll keep u posted

Okay so it sounds like 5 belts blown based on your post. 2 before tune and 3 after tune.. IMO your not blowing belts because of the drive shaft bearing going south.. Read the thread about BOP drive shaft saver.. This bearing on the shaft should be services every year. Guessing your shaft is toast if you took it to the point of bearing failure. Your probably going to need a new drive shaft. Put a decent bearing on it also as the stock bearing is garbage. You NEED to check your stub shaft as after 5 belt blows its moved based on what others have seen.. Plenty of threads on that also.. Honestly if its moved you should address this FIRST before tuning clutching. Get your offset right AFTER checking and resetting stub shaft. Your offset is causing you issues because your stub shaft has moved. You stated your secondary was running hot, so you need to get temps down on that. Betting if you get your offset where it needs to be you can stay at 6/2 or 6/3 wrap on the secondary spring. Others can give more details > might want to list exactly which springs your running. If you do some hard pulls AFTER your stub shaft and alignment are good check your secondary.. Put your hands on it and if its right(not to hot) you should be able to hold your hands on it. Twisting the spring at different degrees will increase or decrease belt side pressure in the secondary. I'm not running your clutching but most are on this site so others can chime in on the details. Was the stub on the secondary machined at all? So a lot of guys were machining material off to get the offset down, and by doing this some have caused more problems depending on how much material was removed.. Any more info on this track blowing off your sled? Glad your alright as this can cause serious steering issues! I guess I would be very concerned about tracks blowing off sleds with the mileage you have. That's not a "normal" occurrence. What belt you running? A lot of guys are really liking the XS belt over the stocker. Not saying this will solve your issues as you have more going on then belt make and composition.

Last edited:
Ok guys I’m running Dalton d-tay1 for weights with the dalton springs . Secondary set at 6&2 with stock helix. Also have the Td power trail 270 . Today I took apart all clutches and cleaned them. Also pulled driveshaft bearing and replaced. Shouldn’t even say I pulled it it fell out( what a joke)so I’m pretty sure that was my vibration. I’m running the daltons empty cause they came at 75g and it pulls like a freight train hits and holds 9050rpms .
Do u think the belts were blowing because of that bearing? 2 weeks ago in Michigan blew the track rite out of the skid and replaced w 1 1/2 ripsaw 2 but now dealing with belts. Before it was tuned I blew 2 belts also the First time was because of Yamaha shitty rollers Going flat the thunders took care of that problem. Absolutely love the sled but guy would think for $20G’s Yamaha would step up and fix the #*$&@ they know is wrong ! Thanks for all the advise I’ll keep u posted

Well can't blame Yamaha as they don't send them out with 270 HP.

Where to start. First, running 6&2 on the stock spring which I assume is a pink, is going to lead to huge coil bind. I'd get that Pink stock spring outa there and get a Dalton Black/Orange In wrapped up at 80 or 90. The factory is relying on those stock pink and yellow springs to coil bind at the end of the travel to give the secondary enough pressure to hold the belt. The problem is you can't wrap them up more than stock or they bind super bad beyond full coil bind. I've also had great success with the Dalton Cat white torsion set at 9&2 as well, both springs will provide the same pressures and not go into coil bind at the end of the travel.

Also like Jon said, the stub shaft has more them likely moved, Take it apart, clean it up and green Loctite the bearing in the housing so it does no move again. Line the clutches up using the Hurricane bar. I had a machine in here yesterday that had blown a couple belts and it had to be done, I ended up having to remove the circlip behind the secondary to get it to line up properly even after pushing the stub shaft back into place after Loctiting it.

Once you get the clutches lined up you can start tuning them again. I'd use the Ultimax 825 belt myself.

Doubt the driveshaft bearing had anything to do with belts at all.

Hey guys just wanted to thank all of u for input. It seems to b running cooler now and haven’t blown another belt yet. The stub shaft had moved big time and offset wasn’t even close. So I reset bearing and stub shaft and made offset 57.7 and I can now touch the clutches. Thanks again

Back