• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

VK Pro Starter

VKProSteve

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 VK Professional
So I finally got my new stator and regulator installed (OEM). Then the starter relay stuck and kept cranking. Fortunately I had air box off and tools near and disconnected battery quickly. Replaced the relay. All good. Rode it for a bout 100km, nice to enjoy my new machine. Then my son went to fire it up and turned the key the wrong way and broke ignition. Tumbler fell apart. Oh well, cheap and I can start with a screwdriver. Went to go for a ride today and starter grinding away. Ahh!
long story short, are the aftermarket starters decent?
I’ve seen posts on here about the change. Any other tip than remove battery box, engine mounts, oil filter. Tip engine fwd and take it out thru oil filter access? Does the idler gear which the starter gear contacts usually grind down and should be replaced along with it. I really don’t want to open the side up since I was just in there with the stator just to inspect if uncommon for that idler gear to grind down. Also, do you need to remove the secondary clutch for access?
Ive pretty much given up on the season but want to have a better idea of what I’m going to encounter when going at it. There is not that much info about the starter change specific to the VK chasssis and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pulled the starter. Not too bad. I wasn’t sure about the rear mount. Yes, needed to pull the long bolt out also, requiring secondary to be pulled but can leave brake installed. Starter drive gear was chewed a little, so will open up the r/h crank cover to check idler gear. Worth doing as I don’t want the starter gear metal travelling through. Going to order the aftermarket starter and may need a new idler gear once inspected. Will keep posted. Thanks to other posts that gave me the balls to go at this at 1-3am in my driveway. Cheers.

Last edited:
Yep, you have more balls than me ... but honestly, 1am in the driveway ... sound like balls and beer. I'm not the TY salesman but just to let you know that if you were a VIP member(15us$) a moderator would fix you up with a link to a shop manual. Might be handy, even for someone with your ample begonias.

Just helped my brother replace the starter in his vk pro 2 nights ago. Same as you described. Replaced idler gear and starting motor. Took 3.5 to 4 hours to change the starter, first time for either of us at it. Not a terrible job, once at it, definitely 2 person job as motor needs to be lifted to remove and replace starter. Good luck with it. BTW he went with aftermarket starter as well.

20201108_122525.jpg
20201108_122652.jpg
I just replaced the starter on my 2006 VK Pro too. Yup, lots of time figuring how to get that one out! I think I could do the exchange in 2 or 3 hours, now that I know. Problem not solved in the end, still spins without engaging, so I'll go after the idler gear and related components next.

I didn't have a buddy or lift to help on the engine tilt, but figured out a trick. Two 2x4's resting on the frame just above the front of the engine and a slight gap between the boards. I set a bottle jack there, then raises the engine with a loop of stout rope I passed through a couple bolt flanges on the engine, then over the groove in the top of the jack. Came up smooth and easy. Rope stretched a good bit. I would have preferred a cable but this was at hand. I was extra cautious while trading starters not to put too much of my hand up in the starter hole, just in case the rope or jack gave way. If you try this, make sure the jack and rope are in line and sturdy. Mine was.

For those who are replacing the starter for the first time, there are just 2 engine mounting bolts to remove, at the front. They are opposite each other. I point to one of them in the photos.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20201108_122525.jpg
    20201108_122525.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 20201108_122652.jpg
    20201108_122652.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 757
I put an aftermarket starter in and it crapped out after a season. I have to do the job over again didn't enjoy it my first time. I wonder if you could cut the tunnel plate and make a face plate for easier access to that damn starter. It isn't the worst job in the world to pull it, but I'm out in the bush a lot and would hate to do it out there.

Back