• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

weight transfer and ski lift in powder

bdm

Expert
I took my '03 RX1M out today for the first time since adding the Holz skid and under-tunnel glasspack. It feels like a totally different sled; but, since there was less than two feet of powder on the ground, I am not sure that I can really judge yet and will post results when we get some REAL snow.

I have a newbie question, please be kind. Since I have only ridden alone I have had to learn powder riding without live human guidance. I had the limiter straps on the old stock skid set all the way out so any throttle brought the skis off of the ground, and that is the way I always rode, for better or worse.

Now I have the new skid set with the straps pulled pretty far up so that the skis come off the ground only at full throttle. It was interesting to ride that way, the nice part was that when I would panic and let off the throttle a little I could use the skis to steer. The old way I had to let all of the way off of the throttle to use the skis.

So, to my question, where do REAL powder riders/boondockers set their weight transfer? Do they set it so the skis are always in the air? so the skis only come up at full throttle? or somewhere in between (is there an in between?)? Is this a "rider preference" issue? I want to carve and negotiate the trees.

Thank you!

My personal opinion is the more ski lift the better so you can use your weight to manuver if your climbing and it is out of control straight up and down trying to flip on top of you you have went to much but I like a lot of ski lift while boondocking

My personal preference is about 6 inches from a hard throttle start. Anymore than that and you are just loosing horsepower to the snow.

Aaron

Problem with sucking the limiters up to reduce transfer is that you will have to keep the throttle on to play in the snow. So many times in 2-3' of snow I will drop my throttle to 6-7k rpm's once I have my momentum up. I love to cruise around like that maintaining a controllable speed so I can go in and out of trees, ditches, etc. If you lose your transfer when you let off like that you will start pushing snow and lose your momentum (which is critical).

Another consideration is that when your skis are in the air they are not touching, but as soon as you turn in to a carve, your lower side ski is in the snow so you still have some handlebar steering (remember to countersteer to carve). I think you will find that with your limiters in as soon as you let off the throttle the outside ski will try to dive on you. Just my $.02.

Rt

bdm, good post and I'm in a similar situation as far as learning curve. Too much of my riding has been trail riding back east. I'm finding that going out and messing around on your own isn't a bad way to learn, you aren't trying to keep up with better riders, and can just putz around at slow speeds trying different things. No one to make an a** of yourself in front of. I have a field with a couple feet of powder right by the house now, and have been playing with my MM trying to understand how different adjustments and riding techniques affect handling.

Oh, and no input as to what will work best, but I'm watching the thread and learning.

Bro

So the consensus is to take the slack out of the limiter straps? Not so much as to make them stiff, but more on the tight side than the loose side? Or is it the other way around?

I'm inferring the other way around, loosten them up to ride in pow. Should help keep the front end up so your body english can make the sled carve better, without the front end diving and pushing so much.

brianidaho said:
I'm inferring the other way around, loosten them up to ride in pow. Should help keep the front end up so your body english can make the sled carve better, without the front end diving and pushing so much.
I was thinking olong the same line,correct me if i am wrong????

We run the Holz suspension with limiter straps all the way out and control ski lift by giving the front shock nut a few turns. Not many makes a big difference in lift. We dial in quite a bit of lift for most of the year, but when spring riding comes, and everything is hard and "go anywhere" I get scared and bring back some ski pressure.

Keeping the skis on the ground keeps more track on the ground and therefore gets more power to the ground and will get you higher on the hill.

The skis coming out of the snow just shows weight transfer. ask any true sled junkie or mechanic, the skis coming up are not what you want.

Just .02 cents

Again this is just another .02 cents, but I have heard this conversation several times. When the skis lift off the ground, the power that is required for that to take place is less power that is helping you move forward. While I love the feel of having that front end lift up, I usually dial my transfer in so that I get ski lift only at full power. This is an endless argument, due to the fact that riding on skis vs. track is dependant on rider and conditions... ya gotta admit, riding back on the track in powder is bliss! Regardless... ski lift is less power pushin ya forward. Again just another .02 cents....

I think it is all rider preference. A little trial and error is needed. You know what it is like the way it is. Now take the straps out a little and try that. Then put it where you are most comfortable.

J.

Back