• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What are your opinions on Yamaha's Extended Service Plan?

I'd pass on the extended warranty. If it doesn't give you any problems within the warranty period, its probably not give you trouble. If it gives you lots of trouble, trade it in or sell it. Furthermore, extended warranty is more of a benefit for the insurance company than you. Everyone has their own piece of mind, mine is not giving away money. Thats just my opinion.

Re: YES has saved me tons of cash

RippinV said:
The first engine melt down was due to a crimped oil line from the factory, that would have cost me $1500.00.

With all due respect to Rippin' this would have been covered without question by Yamaha since it was an apparent FACTORY DEFECT which ANY warranty covers PERIOD.

RippinV said:
The second was due to loose carb boots from the previous rebuild. This time the motor had 5000 miles on it, the crank was bad, so they replaced that as well. That build would have cost ~$2500-3000.00.

This is clearly the fault of a sloppy repair by the dealer. Again, I have had the same issue and Yamaha covered for their dealer by stepping up and covering this type of thing (outside my normal warranty).

RippinV said:
The final build was due to a faulty oil pump and again they replaced the crank, but this time the entire top end and cases as well as new power valves. This build would have cost me over $3600.00. The sled sits in the garage now all brand new and Yamaha has extended my extended warranty until March of 05 so I can break in the new motor.

Yamaha doesn't see too many "faulty oil pumps" so my guess is that unless their inspection of this sled showed some abuse or modification, this would also have been covered. Technically, this may have been the problem with this motor from the get go and no one caught it. Again, a very oddball type of failure so they will usually got to some extrem measures to make the consumer whole. [/quote]

IMHO, again with all due respect to RIPPIN', what he ACTUALLY got here was $400 in sled rental for the money he forked out for the Y.E.S.

However, if it makes you FEEL better, go ahead and spend the money. After all, you can't take it with you and YOU are the one who has to feel good or bad about your purchase.

Just my $0.02 worth!!

I hate to say this but just try and get things like that warrantied without a warranty for the dealer to easily recoup his oney and you will find out how honest and good you r dealer really is. A crimped oil line I am sure was from assembly of the sled. Dealers fault..... Easily put into warranty so as not to come out of dealers pocket. A loose carb boot after 5000 miles?????? Do you really think any dealer would admit this was his techs fault after 5000 miles of trouble free riding. Come on..... Again because you had warranty Yamaha paid and dealer got paid to fix. Last part if you did not have warranty and I dont know how many miles on the sled but if you put 5000 on it between your last probelms I would assume maybe 8 or 9000 miles on it by now. No warranty the oil pump wore out sorry no warranty it would never cover the oil pump much less the entire motor you lost. So I would have to disagree about the amount you saved. I have done warranty work for 8 years not on sleds but I get the idea of how it works.

Totally agree, BUttttttt

I agree, if the dealer discovered that a loose carb boot was the cause of the melt down about 200 miles after he rebuilt it they would have redone the motor for free and YES wouldnt even come into play. However.....HERE IS THE BUTTT!

I was in Canada near Lac St Jean when the motor gave out. I took it to a Canadian dealer and they rebuilt it in three days and covered it under Yamaha warranty. That is when YES comes in to play. When your 800 miles away from the dealer you bought the sled from...

Peace!

race24x said:
...for the dealer to easily recoup his oney and you will find out how honest and good you r dealer really is. ...Dealers fault..... Easily put into warranty so as not to come out of dealers pocket. .... Again because you had warranty Yamaha paid and dealer got paid to fix. .... So I would have to disagree about the amount you saved. I have done warranty work for 8 years not on sleds but I get the idea of how it works.

Try not to bash me too bad after you read this, but
here's some fun...

Race: You get the idea of how it works? ...This is how it works. Cost plus 10%(to cover the shipping) on parts and flat rate tables for labour that are comical. Your dealer gets paid barely a fraction of the time it takes to do a job under warranty and that fraction of time is calculated on a percentage of their door rate. Every warranty entry gets scrutinized. Better keep EVERY single part on that warranty claim. This might be the random time they ask for them back. (Not that the company doesn't trust your dealer, it's for quality control. They are partners you know) Months later, if everything checks out down to the letter your dealer should get paid. With that said, dealers DO want their customers to be happy. At all cost. So go ahead. Hammer the price on that new sled long enough and buy it for less than cost. Strike up your best deal on the extended warranty. Make sure to chop that price to the bare minimum as well. Make sure no one makes a dime from you on either the sled purchase or the warranty plan purchase. Bring the sled back regularly for "Warranty checks" to your dealer. The same dealer that had nothing to do with the designing, building or breaking/failing of that sled. The same dealer that made nothing on the extended warranty plan itself. The same dealer that won't make a dime repairing the sled for the entire extended warranty period. Yes, I say. Sign up for the plan today. Make sure and see the value in the Y.E.S. plan. I am sure your dealer does!

Wasn't that fun!
O.K.. Now let me have it...I can take it.
G Man

We visited this issue last year and opinions haven't changed much/ if your going to modify the sled or trade every year then DONT buy it/Now lets look at it from the other end/ lets say you paid 500-600 for the extension and didn't use it/If you only put 1500-2000 miles a year then in three years your selling a sled with 4500-6000- miles on it BUT with a TWO year Warranty/ It's gotta make that sled worth at least 200-300 more/ So let's take worst case $600 cost minus $200 added value= your cost for peace of mind $400/ AND if you did have a problem - guess what- no moola out of your pocket and the facts still remain the same/ Ask yourself this question-- If you were buying a used sled and one sled had a years warranty on it and the other didn't--- which sled would YOU buy/ It's a NO-BRAINER/ Your sled will sell for MORE and QUICKER and you can sell it outright to end up with an overall better deal on your next sled/ AND if that's not enough/ the guy that bought your used sled wont be bad mouthing you if the sled has a problem the first time he uses it/ later

jim-bob said:
We visited this issue last year and opinions haven't changed much/ if your going to modify the sled or trade every year then DONT buy it/Now lets look at it from the other end/ lets say you paid 500-600 for the extension and didn't use it/If you only put 1500-2000 miles a year then in three years your selling a sled with 4500-6000- miles on it BUT with a TWO year Warranty/ It's gotta make that sled worth at least 200-300 more/ So let's take worst case $600 cost minus $200 added value= your cost for peace of mind $400/ AND if you did have a problem - guess what- no moola out of your pocket and the facts still remain the same/ Ask yourself this question-- If you were buying a used sled and one sled had a years warranty on it and the other didn't--- which sled would YOU buy/ It's a NO-BRAINER/ Your sled will sell for MORE and QUICKER and you can sell it outright to end up with an overall better deal on your next sled/ AND if that's not enough/ the guy that bought your used sled wont be bad mouthing you if the sled has a problem the first time he uses it/ later

Maybe I should just let this go but . . .

Jim-bob, I don't know where you got the prices from. I am in New England like you and never got a quote anything like those numbers. Maybe if I had, it might have convinced me as I think your point about resale is VERY valid!!

FYI All - here are the prices for a Warrior directly from Yamaha:

Here is your quote for your RX Warrior:
12 Months = $539.00
24 Months = $638.00
36 Months = $767.00
48 Months = $877.00

So to be able to offer another 1 year to a new owner after 3yrs, you need to spend $767or whatever discounted price you can negotiate. If want to offer 2yrs to a new owner, you need to spend almost $900!!
The modifiations clause also has gotten many Y.E.S purchasers who try to claim or transfer. The new owner is also required to have the sled "inspected" by an authorized dealer prior to warranty reassignment. I don't believe Yamaha is under any strict obligation to honor any transfer. they are treated on a case by case basis I believe.

Your using the numbers quoted by Yamaha/ the dealers have about a fifty percent mark up on this item/ from the dealers point of view this is handled like the sale of any other extra-- like clothing etc/ My dealer sold me the EXTRA four years for 550/ I've seen on this site where some have got it for as little as 475/ remember you do not have to buy this directly from a your dealer/ you can purchase it on line / if you check some of the other topics there's a dealer in Michigan quoted as selling it at the 475/If you put the bulk of the use on your sled near home then I would recommend that you get it from your dealer/ If your away alot and are apt to use it at another dealer / he isn't going to care where you got it/Now about the transfer/ you are right about the inspection/ IF you ask the dealer BEFORE you put the sled up for sale it will be up to him if he wants to look the sled over/ unless the sled has obivously been abused he's going to give you a clean bill of health as he wants to sell you a new sled/ and with the price of used sleds in the crapper he doesn't want it himself/ so it's in his best interest to give the heads up on your sled/ remember the warranty is on the SLED not on YOU/ The bottom line on all of this is -- do you want to roll the dice and chance it or do you want to play it safe/ it's a personal matter/ By the way before you make your mind up read the notes about the jackshaft problem/ ask what it would cost to fix that/ maybe it'll help you decide/ later

I see what you ar esaying G-man but from the buyers view its not up to us to make sure the dealer makes money on the deal. I am not trying to be an #*$&@ but its not. Everyone buying something wants to get the best deal they can. For instance lets just say for arguments sake the carb boot was left loose and motor had a problem. After that many miles it should have had it way before that but OK dealer was at fault. they write it up as a motor issue piston looks like a lean condition etc and so on. Atleast they dopnt eat the cost out of there pocket. If you came to my shop after 5000 miles and said it was my workmanship that I left something loose and your motor melted down I would not take you to seriously. I would want to keep my customer happy but use common sense.

/ By the way before you make your mind up read the notes about the jackshaft problem/ ask what it would cost to fix that/ maybe it'll help you decide/ later

I would almost be willing to bet that Yamaha will step up and cover the jackshaft problem for anyone who asks unless they have a turbo or have otherwise modified the engine so the amount of power the driven clutch is seeing could be blamed for the failure.

Back