• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What good is a 2 year warranty?

Roger

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2012 RS Venture GT (power steering doesn't work when real cold)
2006 Indy 500
Hi All
My 2007 Venture went in before it was 1 year old for going over, under warranty. Nothing wrong. Sled is now 1 year and 1 month old, running like a piece of dog poo, so brought back in. Different dealer this time, more local. Dealer says, carbs out of sync, clutch needs new parts, idler wheels worn out, no warranty. Exhaust leaks, under warranty. Does this sound fishy to anyone? What should I do?
I'm picking sled up today. Will post how much these repairs will cost me, and the name of the shoddy dealer will be posted if I don't get satisfaction from them or Yamaha.
Can I expect $1000 in repairs on a 4stroke Yamaha every 5000miles?
I'm near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Carb synch = no warranty - cable stretch...any sled can have this.
Idlers = known issue - yes they should cover it....push for it. BUT you'll likely have issues again if they use the same JUNK Yami idlers.
Exhaust leaks = warranty
Clutch parts? = well see my post and don't get me going on this! USD400+ in 3500 miles??

I have the YES warranty too....didn't help on the clutch. I maybe should have let the clutch go and hope it blew up the motor, then Yami would warranty it!

It cost me $400 in maintenance for a 1 year old sled. This is B.S. Yamaha better cover this stuff or I'll never buy another one. In addition to the $400, nothing was done about the pitted secondary clutch, or the worn idlers. What would that have cost me? This is all B.S. Yamaha, wake up. $13000 for a sled, and nothing is covered? Give me a break. I can buy a car for $13000 and get a 5 year, 160000km warranty.

Like Grimm said....call Yamaha Customer Service. Be nice about it and they SHOULD take care of you!

I've been nice, nothing from Yamaha. After carb sync, it's still a pig on fuel, and 20kph slower than the same sled as mine on the river.
What next? Burn it? Have someone steal it? I can't afford to run a 4 stroke Yamaha. My 2001 Venture 700 with 20000km's on it is cheaper, and faster to run than this piece of crap, with less trips to the garage.

undecided said:
What kind of mpg are you getting and what clutch parts did they replace?
My mileage went from 20mpg to 15mpg. My brothers 2006 still gets 20mpg with more miles on it, and a friends 2007 120h.p., short track, gets 22mpg. They changed:
(11) - 3 X sliders - 8ES-17653-00-00
(13) - 3 x damper sliders - 8ES-17655-00-00
(21) - 6 x washer plates - 90202-092227-00
(22) - 3 x rollers, comp - 8FG-17624-10-00
(23) - 3 x bushings - 90386-09001-00
After changing all these parts, and clean the carbs, and balance the carbs, absolutely no improvement in gas mileage. Now, upon stopping, sled idles at 2300 rpm for 30 seconds before dropping to 1200rpm. Any ideas?

P.S. 2001 700 Venture - 13000 miles. Many Polaris' with 6000 - 12000 miles, no clutch issues (Engine problems though, on the Polaris').

I have an 07 venture too ..So far no issues..How many miles/ kms on your sled ???? I hope Yamaha helps you out..If that were me and they didn't help me out I would paint huge LEMONS on the sled and take it to every show, get together etc...

Roger said:
undecided said:
What kind of mpg are you getting and what clutch parts did they replace?
My mileage went from 20mpg to 15mpg. My brothers 2006 still gets 20mpg with more miles on it, and a friends 2007 120h.p., short track, gets 22mpg. They changed:
(11) - 3 X sliders - 8ES-17653-00-00
(13) - 3 x damper sliders - 8ES-17655-00-00
(21) - 6 x washer plates - 90202-092227-00
(22) - 3 x rollers, comp - 8FG-17624-10-00
(23) - 3 x bushings - 90386-09001-00
After changing all these parts, and clean the carbs, and balance the carbs, absolutely no improvement in gas mileage. Now, upon stopping, sled idles at 2300 rpm for 30 seconds before dropping to 1200rpm. Any ideas?

P.S. 2001 700 Venture - 13000 miles. Many Polaris' with 6000 - 12000 miles, no clutch issues (Engine problems though, on the Polaris').

Change the primary and secondary springs ASAP. Check the buttons on the secondary and replace if they look fishy.

[quoteChange the primary and secondary springs ASAP. Check the buttons on the secondary and replace if they look fishy.[/quote]

There was 7400kms on it at the time of the repairs, now there is 7900kms on it.
Why do the springs need to be replaced? To me, with all my previous sledding experience, with never having to touch a clutch, this is poor quality Yamaha clutches.

Roger said:
[quoteChange the primary and secondary springs ASAP. Check the buttons on the secondary and replace if they look fishy.

Why do the springs need to be replaced? To me, with all my previous sledding experience, with never having to touch a clutch, this is poor quality Yamaha clutches.[/quote]

The springs very well could be OK, but if your mileage hasn't changed, you might as well change them...for USD50 it's a cheap investment.

And as to never having to touch a clutch, save it OK? I owned 14 Polaris' over the years and never touched a clutch in over 40,000 miles of riding. Read my thread where I put almost USD400 into my clutches to rebuild them back to specs....at ~3500 miles.

Yami's engines are great, but their chassis, suspensions and clutches are wayyyyy behind the competition.

undecided said:
Roger said:
[quoteChange the primary and secondary springs ASAP. Check the buttons on the secondary and replace if they look fishy.

Why do the springs need to be replaced? To me, with all my previous sledding experience, with never having to touch a clutch, this is poor quality Yamaha clutches.

The springs very well could be OK, but if your mileage hasn't changed, you might as well change them...for USD50 it's a cheap investment.

And as to never having to touch a clutch, save it OK? I owned 14 Polaris' over the years and never touched a clutch in over 40,000 miles of riding. Read my thread where I put almost USD400 into my clutches to rebuild them back to specs....at ~3500 miles.

Yami's engines are great, but their chassis, suspensions and clutches are wayyyyy behind the competition.[/quote]

So, you're saying their clutches are only good for 4000 miles?

Roger said:
undecided said:
Roger said:

Yami's engines are great, but their chassis, suspensions and clutches are wayyyyy behind the competition.

So, you're saying their clutches are only good for 4000 miles?[/quote]

What I am saying is that I will be more diligent in:

1. Blowing off the clutches at least every 500 miles
2. Checking the belt to see how high it's running on the secondary at least every 500 miles.
3. Scotchbrite the faces of the clutches at least every 500 miles
4. Remove and inspect the primary weights and rollers every 1500 miles.
5. Replace the primary and secondary spring every year
6. Purchase a clutch puller so I can remove the primary by myself.

Lessons learned, money spent and I'm trying to move on despite Yamaha saying the weights and rollers are wear items in my YES warranty.

If weights and rollers are wear items, what are piston rings and crank bearings?

Back