• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What would you look for

Dara

Expert
2012 Vector LTX with 17,000 miles, 29,000 km
No blemishes to speak of. Decent looking track studded with one stud pulled out.
Regular maintenance, oil and filter every year, chain case oil every year, greased regularly.
Boggie wheel bearings changed when needed.
Drive shaft bearing changed every 3 years. Forgot the jackshaft bearing so it and the shaft( warped by hot bearing)changed, bearing should be done again.
Dupont sliders in almost new condition after 10,000 miles.
Donuts never done but possibly need them now.
3 year old battery, maybe 4, only changed it once after 6 or 7 years
Always stored and trailered inside.
The red one, not the black
I am the original owner and selling.
Can anything be really bad and what do I ask for it. Hoping for 5k CDN

2012 vectors are going for $7000+ in Canada. Don't know if anyone is getting paid on that price but I would say more than $5k.

I would just hit the highlights. Its a high mileage sled in good conditions with annual maintenance done. Yamaha owners know that 29k km is acceptable as long as compression is strong and even across the cylinders. I might be looking for valve adjustment information. Most of the listings are sled, year, mileage, maintenance, how it was stored, condition of obvious consumables (track, belt, etc). Everyone wants to know that the sled is reliable, starts every time, etc.. Information about the battery age, donuts, etc.. those are negotiating points.

I see one on the facebook in South Dakota for $7k -US- only 1795 miles- another in Hudson, WI but a short track with 1500 miles- $8K

Thanks Earthling, gives me confidence. And looking at it beside the new one I really want to keep it.
Thats crazy Attack, how could you put 150 miles a year on a sled like that...thats a short day's cruise

Donuts never done in 17k miles?!?!

You sure?? The stockers would NEVER last even half that long. Hell 1/3 that long.

Anyway, GLWS.

before you sell, take a look at all the welds around the joints in the rear suspension tubes as they tend to crack/break with miles. A prospective buyer may look for this and want to haggle quite a bit if he/she finds any issues with the welds. I had to have 5 of the tubing joints in my sled re-welded and I added gussets to them all after only 9,000 miles.

I think the donuts may need replacing now. A couple years (2000 miles) ago I could still make the engine stall by blocking exhaust outlets with a couple rags. Now it just almost quits so there must be a leak.
I thinks the suspension is ok. I had the shocks out to rebuild 2 years ago and haven't rode it hard since. It has been rode hard a few times though trying to smooth out the moguls after a long day.
I put it on facebook a few days ago and 300 clicks but no interest other than somebody wanting to trade an 06 F150
Maybe gotta drop the price but the darn thing is in really good shape as far as I'm concerned.
Hate to sell it but the new one is sitting beside it.
Where I live and ride we get lots of snow so it didn't get the abuse lots of sleds do. Over 10,000 miles on the duponts and they look like new

If you get an answer right away, it is too cheap. Facebook is a cesspool. Post it on kijiji. I recently posted one of my motorcycles on FB and kijiji. The guy who ended up buying it took a week to initiate the conversation but I got 20 inquiries after that including several that were ready to come over cash in hand to outbid the original buyer (too late). Give it some time.

All of the FB inquires were garbage trade offers, low ballers, etc.. despite the fact that I said the price was firm, was not accepting low ball offers, and no trades.

Well, over 300 clicks on facebook and a hundred on Kijiji.
Yesterday a local guy messaged that he wanted a look at it.
He shows up and looked it over really well. Wanted a replacement for his wifes 06 vector with 23,000 miles.
Very knowledgeable on Yamaha sleds. He looked at all the right things and asked all the pertinent questions.
Made an offer, I bumped it to what I was hoping for in the first place. Sold and I am happy to have sold it to a person that knows exactly what he bought. He drives a VK pro to a remote fish hunt trap camp with the wife on her vector, now on a vector ltx.
Thanks for all the opinions and guidance.
I,m gonna miss that sled. Had a lot of fun on it

Back