• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats the difference on top end between apex-gt and attak-gt

THE-TRUTH

It's between these two bad asses.What is the difference on top end.I wanna fly man will they both go over 110mph.

Re: Whats the difference on top end between apex-gt and atta

THE-TRUTH said:
It's between these two bad asses.What is the difference on top end.I wanna fly man will they both go over 110mph.
Yes i had the 06 attak and mine would run 114 gps and a friend had the apexGt his would run 115gps but most of the shorties run a little higher around 117-120 and most attaks around 114-117 gps hope it helps.

Thanks a lot mnmsnobeast,i never knew they were so close.But it is still a tough decision these are the best sleds out there this year in my mind.

The major difference in the to sleds is the lenght of the track and the rear suspension. If top end is your thing, the GT is the way to go.
You have to ask yourself if the ultimate top end is what you really want. You'll spend 99.9% of your time on the sled at less than top end, and you have to be more concerned about handling, ergonomics, economics, etc....
Take some time and read alot of the info you can get here at TY. You will hear the pros and cons of every Yamaha made. Trust me, it will help you decide which is right for you.
I'm not sure what gps you have used, mnmsnowbeast, but I've used a few different brands, and I haven't seen a factory sled of any breed do much over 110. My '06 GT was reading 121mph on the speedo, but 2 gps' mounted to the sled both said 108.
There are very few places to really honk on a sled to reach those speeds consistantly, and frankly, IMO, I'd rathe play on the twisty trails or even do a little jumping.
Read on, my friend........

In my testing, I have found the attak pulls the apex buy around 6 lengths in acceleration, and they both run same topend. The RX-1's used to be faster than the warriors as it should have been. Not the case with the EFI's. I'll never own a 121 again. The 136 has it all over the 121. That is just my opinion. Wait, my buddies that bought the 121's too, they were staunch short track guys till they have found the advantages of the attak. Mike Knapp#17

Six lengths in what distance Mike?

My Warrior goes next year or this spring. Trying to decide on new Attak for me or upgrade the wife to someting smaller and take her Apex for myself.

Thanks,

Dave

Six lengths from start to finish. Just kidding! From 0-120 MPH. I don't know how many times we all lined up and switched machines. The outcome was always the same. You could let the short track machine take off anytime they wanted, they would get out 3 lengths, and the long track machines would go around and put 3 more on them! Exact top speed! No difference at all. I couldn't believe it. I figured the long tracks would give up around 2-4 MPH, but they didn't. No comparison in the trails. Sorties don't come close in ride department next to the Attak. The Attaks don't push anymore like the Warrior did either. If you let the wife ride the Attak, you won't get her off. That is what my wife rides now.

Hmmmmm. :bling

Sounds like maybe she should keep her Apex then.

I have a good woman. She rides what I give her.

She is not that fond of the Warrior other than the open trails. Requires
a little more strength than she can muster anymore[ The Docs stroked her out during brain surgery 3 years ago and she lost the use of half her body for awhile. ]

Should not be too much trouble keeping her off an Attak.

Thanks for the additional info.

Dave

Traction must have been the key on holeshot!

Well for the debelievers i guess unless a shortie hands you your #*$&@ out on the lake you just wont believe it,yea my sled started life last year as the 06 attak it pushed so bad and rode so crappy i decidded to change it to a shortie,man am i glad i did,we had the 06 attak,06 rtx 06 gt and the rtx would drive around both the attak and gt,and the gt ec shock was junk with in 400 miles,the attak shock was shot with in 1000 miles and now as an apex rtx with fox floats it is just right,bone stock the attak and apex gt were dead even as far as top end were concerned,both unstudded and spinning at 109 gps and speedo reading 124 later studded and clutched the gt would run 115 gps and my best with unstudded track once on long lake just before it blew its second track went 114 gps and i have a very reliable gps its a garmen etrex legend and i have matched it up to different radar readings if anything its reads low compared to most radar guns we have seen by about 1-2 mph my boys rtx would drive buy both of us on the lake with his speedo reading 134-136 and when that time happened he was not running the gps but according to some of you guys the speedos are off 12-17 mph and they get worse the faster you go,we have some apexs stock running 124-127 on the gun so i dont understand why you cant believe they can go that fast,if your sled does not do that,than there is no reason to disbelieve someone elses can! Get the rtx if you want the best riding and handling sled in yammis line up,that is if you want to blast thru the tight and twisty and bumpy trails,if you want to drive a sled that pushes and is hard to twitch quickly than by all means get the attak oh and i have let to see an attak run over 118 mph gps or radar,if so show us some proff,but we have seen plenty of the shorties run 118-125 backed up with videos..

KnappAttack said:
In my testing, I have found the attak pulls the apex buy around 6 lengths in acceleration, and they both run same topend. The RX-1's used to be faster than the warriors as it should have been. Not the case with the EFI's. I'll never own a 121 again. The 136 has it all over the 121. That is just my opinion. Wait, my buddies that bought the 121's too, they were staunch short track guys till they have found the advantages of the attak. Mike Knapp#17

Mike your right those Attak's scream, especially when there set up right, it must be gearing

Well I've got an Attak GT, and will never look back. It's looking ahead that gets me all the time.

Mike Knapp is on the money with his description. The only place I believe the 121 will out run the Attak is on a long lake. Everywhere else the Attak will dominate.
I distinctly remember at the Jan muni ride last year on several occaisions there were 121's running each other and I could catch them. I would get on their bumpers then have to back off because I didn't have room to pass.
Ask Mr. Sled why he went from an Apex GT last year to an Attak GT this year :-o

Actually read an aritcle recently that stated the Attack was quicker (better acceleration - not necessarily faster at top end) than the Apex, so I tend to agree with Mike as well....not that I believe EVERYTHING I read :drink:

In any event, the mag went on to say that even with various upgrades (including cluthch kit and cold air kit), they couldn't get the Apex to keep up... I also believe they said the stock gearing was different and the stock clutch setup differed??? You guys would know better than I, I'm sure.

The extra traction from the 136 was also deemed to be a factor.

Personally, I DIG the 136, and will probably never go back to the shortie. :Rockon:

KnappAttack said:
If you let the wife ride the Attak, you won't get her off. That is what my wife rides now.

So funny! When My wife rode the Attak for the first time last year We stopped at a stop sign on the trail and over the communicator I said "hey if you don't like how high you sit on that or if it feels to wierd just say so." She turned her head toward me, took her hand off the handlebar and flipped Me off. When she goes riding with Me the Attak is hers. There is no discussion. :o|

In addition to the topic My buddies E.R. could take My Attak by a small amount. But I had a 1.5" track and he is probably 70 lbs lighter than me. Both sleds were stock otherwise.

Back