• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which c&a skis

iam_canadian22

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
16 viper mtx 141
Im looking to go to a wider ski to help floatation on my 16 mtx 141. Im debating on the bx at 7.25" wide or the mtx at 8" wide. Same price, bx has deeper keel. Basically is 7.25 enough or should i go to 8" for the same price?

Im looking to go to a wider ski to help floatation on my 16 mtx 141. Im debating on the bx at 7.25" wide or the mtx at 8" wide. Same price, bx has deeper keel. Basically is 7.25 enough or should i go to 8" for the same price?
I run 7" slydogs on my mountain shorty LTX which has been narrowed to 40" and do a lot of off trail riding in addition to some trail cruising. Also run 7" slydogs on my '15 XTX LE which is the predecessor sled to your MTX 141. They work well. Guys I ride with run 8" slydogs and they do get on top of the snow a bit better, but the 7" don't submarine. If you ride off trail a lot and want the flotation, go 8". If you ride trails a lot in addition to off trail, consider the added keel height. I don't think I'd want the taller keel on the trail.

Are you unhappy with the factory ski or reading too much in to the comments of others? Much of the complaining that I've seen on this form has been based on the narrower 2015 Viper MTX skis. The 2016 MTX's, or at least my MTX 141, came with Yamaha's version of the Cat Proclimb-7 skis (the ones with 4" of ski stance adjustment). They are 7" wide at the front and taper to 6.5". If this is the ski that you have and you aren't happy with the flotation then I would recommend the 8 inch wide MTX C&A Skis. The BX skis are only.25" wider and they also taper. They may not make enough of a difference in the flotation that you are seeking to justify their cost.

This is a case of "do as I say not as I do". I plan to purchase the BX skis for my Viper but my reasoning for the change is different than yours. I'm not necessarily looking for better flotation but rather a little sharper trail handling without loosing flotation. I plan to use mine as more of a crossover. I do a fair amount of trail riding.

One other observation: The 2016 and newer mountain front ends have have spindles that are laid back an additional 10 degrees. Because of this geometry, when the skis are turned sharply they will roll over much more. This isn't a problem off trail, but on the trail a wider ski without enough keel height could allow the inside edge to lift the carbide up off the snow. This would create a push through the corners. C&A Pro may know if this is a concern with their MTX ski.

Good luck with your decision. -PeeWee

Are you unhappy with the factory ski or reading too much in to the comments of others? Much of the complaining that I've seen on this form has been based on the narrower 2015 Viper MTX skis. The 2016 MTX's, or at least my MTX 141, came with Yamaha's version of the Cat Proclimb-7 skis (the ones with 4" of ski stance adjustment). They are 7" wide at the front and taper to 6.5". If this is the ski that you have and you aren't happy with the flotation then I would recommend the 8 inch wide MTX C&A Skis. The BX skis are only.25" wider and they also taper. They may not make enough of a difference in the flotation that you are seeking to justify their cost.

This is a case of "do as I say not as I do". I plan to purchase the BX skis for my Viper but my reasoning for the change is different than yours. I'm not necessarily looking for better flotation but rather a little sharper trail handling without loosing flotation. I plan to use mine as more of a crossover. I do a fair amount of trail riding.

One other observation: The 2016 and newer mountain front ends have have spindles that are laid back an additional 10 degrees. Because of this geometry, when the skis are turned sharply they will roll over much more. This isn't a problem off trail, but on the trail a wider ski without enough keel height could allow the inside edge to lift the carbide up off the snow. This would create a push through the corners. C&A Pro may know if this is a concern with their MTX ski.

Good luck with your decision. -PeeWee
Thanks for the input, my reasoning is easy the sled dives in the powder. I also plan to use it both on and off pretty equally. I only measured my stock skies at one spot and was 6.25".

Back