• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

windsheild ?'s For Apex

yamadoo

Yamadoo is a snowmobile ' aholic'.
Country
USA
Snowmobile
15 Viper STX DX red/white- GPS and KING AIR suspension 4kmiles
13 Apex XTX 45 anniversary RED/WHITE/BLACK 3K miles
10 Vector LTX Blue 9kmiles
11 Venture GT 4k miles
86 SnoScoot(2) for grand kids
I have the Yamaha low 12"- not the stock windkini and it brought the wind up off my neck to my face. Shoulders, arms and hands still a cold ride.

My question is, how much better are the Mid's, I believe 14". I have searched and seems some feel not much better.

Here is my GREAT problem to have.

I am going for a week in January about 1300+ miles in 'da UP'. I am planning on hand gaurd and mirrors -Big Nytro black ones. But if it is below zero will I wish I also had the mid windshield.

Any feed back from those who have the mids........... worth the 100$?

Beginning the winter dreaming.

Yamadoo

For those about 5ft 10 and under the mid seems fine as long as you have good handwarmers.Still a little wind over the top though.

Below zero and you may wish you had the HIGH windshield.Who cares what it looks like,you will be much warmer.Warm rider = more fun,ride longer and no frostbite.

You can get the mirrors that go on the back of your hand.

I have the mid shield and the 06 bars with the 07 update kit wiring on my 06 GT so this with the mid shield and my sled is plenty warm for me until around zero then its my body getting cold and I sometimes wish I had a tall shield.

I have those elephant ear handle bar covers cant think of the name but they wrok great i wear mechanics wear gloves with them and ride in 0 weather aahh gauntlets they are called a little tough getting used too but work well I will post a pic of my shield on my apex and it wroks great for me 5-9 no wind in chest a little on helmet bu not bad :Rockon:

Attachments

• 2 sleds.jpg
    2 sleds.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 104
After freezing myself reaalllly good one time just after getting my sled (with 12") I just started wearing an extra layer on top - end of problem for me!

If you get cold, just hop off the trail for a bit. That should warm you right up!

Cobra (Powermadd) mid height made a huge difference for me over stock. I also have the Powermadd hand guards and the Powermadd gauntlets for when it is below zero.

Thanks Guys,

I have gauntlets for the hands and since I am 6'2" I am thinking the mids may not be a big enough difference for shoulders. I am thinking I will bring a good lining for under the jacket.

Still uncertain about the windshield?

Davey boy I have the same windshield. Nice looking sled!!

Yamadoo

Only used the stock shorty on my 07 RTX for the first ride of the season, the last spring ride and when I sold it. Used the medium without problem in any temp for 9,000 miles. Still have it if you are interested in having one for less $. It is the OEM Yami, smoke shade with black lower graphic accents and would blend with any apex coloring. PM me soon id you want it.

Yamadoo

I have an 06 attak with the stock mid windshield, and use a set of heatlok handguards and I USUALLY do not get too cold. But this past season while riding in Quebec with temps 0 to -10 I froze my a$$ off. I had 4 insulating layers and a tekvest for those rides. I will never get that cold again and decided to get either a tall or extra tall windshield for those really cold days. I am 6' 3'' and the mid windshield deflects the air to my upper body and head.

Matt

I have had the Yamaha mid height windshield I believe
IMG_1039Medium.jpg
and then switched to the cobra tall.
IMG_1448Medium.jpg
I sold the Cobra tall because I felt like it only moved the wind hitting me up a couple inches to peg me just below the forehead. Also the cobra directs the wind to hit the end of the bars making my hands much colder than the Yamaha mid height windshield is a bit wider. This year I will probably be switching to the extra tall windshield with the support brackets so that I don't feel any of the wind. I know I will be happy I did it on those -10 degree days. Also I have Katlindin gauntlets (not correct spelling)
IMG_1128Medium.jpg
with wire around the part where you put your hands in so it stays open and they work great. If my hands get cold I throw these on the bars in about 30 seconds, and then another ten minutes down the trail I have to turn the bar warmers down.

I have the TALL windshiled from yamaha, i had the mid height.. it didnt keep the wind off my hands..

The tall does..

Attachments

• apex tall 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    apex tall 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 90

Back