• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Winterizing new sled

TrailxRider

Expert
I just bought my first snowmobile a week ago and did manage to get 17 miles in before the heatwave we got here in central NY. I was wondering if you guys have any advice on how to winterize my sled. I know I have to take the battery out, losen the track, keep the rear end lifted, put an additive in the gass. Anything else? and when winter comes again do I still have to grease everything up even though I only rode 17 miles?

I don't think it matters but it's an '07 Nytro

Thanks in advance

I keep the battery in and wired up a battery tender. I believe the yamaha manual states something along the lines of pull the plugs out, put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and crank the sled 10-15 times.

Fill the tank, add gas stabilizer and grease all the fittings to force out any water that may be in there. Start your sled once a month and let it warm up to operating temperature. That will charge your battery and keep your engine lubed. I start mine on the first day of the month that way I don't forget.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but dont you mean how to summerize your sled? I fill mine with fuel,add seafoam to it,change the oil,give it a super cleaning and wd40 the the engine bay. Done.

:die = = = = :jump: - - - - - - - - LaLaLa . . . . . . ;)!

Winterize or summerize? When I winterize mine its usually out riding the trails though the snow drifts. When I summerize mine I put some oil in the holes wind it over give it a really good bath then coat it with wd-40 and ATF mixed 50/50.

I have not been a fan of starting the sled monthly. I have a theory that that only creates moisture and water in the cumbustion chamber. And since it never gets really run during those start ups, the moisture never gets evaporated out of the oil system. Meaning you end up with water sitting in those precious parts where you do not want rust and corroison.

Just my 2 cents.

I just do the following:

Stabil in gas
Change the oil and filter
Change the chaincase oil
Oil in cylinders
Grease chassis
Take the belt off
Plug the intake and exhaust so the critters stay out (even in my garage)
Suspend the rear of the sled
Unhook battery
Wash and wax

That is my routine, then when the snow flies, all I have to do is hook the battery up and put the belt on, and away I go......

This is my procedure:

Add stabil (or what ever fuel stabilizer you like)
Fill gas tank with fuel
Change the engine oil and filter (I use a Yamaha filter and Yamalube)
Change the chaincase oil (I use Amsoil fully synthetic chaincase oil)
Grease all of the suspension compoents that you can to force any water out (I use a cold weather full synthetic grease)
Plug exhaust so mice don't get in (steal wool)
Take off seat (again so mice don't get into it)
Take off belt
Take out battery (give it a good charge with the 2amp trickle, then take it in the house)
Wash and Wax
Lift back of sled off the ground
Place 2x4's under skis
Put cover on

Say good 'nite

Then when the snow flies

(I give the battery one more good trickle charge when the season gets close)

Pull the cover off
Pull it out of its stall
Put the battery, belt and seat back on
Unplug exhaust
Start.......and Ride!! ;)!

Y1

I fill mine up with gas, put ski's and track on casters to elevate sled off the ground, and start it twice from may to september. Never has a problem starting.

Gonna be a long summer since im getting boost in October!

Back