• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

xtx in the mountains??

d3v!l said:
Any problems with rolling the XTX out of being stuck in the mountains. I'm new to the 4 stroke world and last time I was in the mountains with my 2 stroke that seemed to be the easiest way to become unstuck...

Planning to take my XTX to Revelstoke this year...

I unintentionally rolled mine last week. It sat 3/4 upside down on the left side for at least 30 seconds and probably closer to 45 seconds before I could get to it and tip it up. I had no cowl breakage but the windshield and all the plastic screws broke. I've heard stories about oil draining into the airbox but I didn't have any leakage of oil or fuel. A little anti-freeze was in the snow but not enough to worry about. I wouldn't suggest rolling it unless you carry new screws and rubber nuts. And some tape to Frankenstein the windshield back together. Oops. I forgot the handguard mounts. They broke, too.

well I appreciate some of the input from you guys, I have gone ahead and changed my track to a 2" challenger, wahl bros drivers, changed my top gear to a 19, mountain strap, Rox 3.5 riser , lefty trottle control and clutched. Hope this all works cant wait to go!!

Anyone able to say what the stock XTX gearing is? What about the MTX what is stock on that??

Mtnviper said:
XTX is 21-39 with 2.52 pitch 9 tooth drivers
MTX is 20-40 with 3" pitch 7 tooth drivers. (slightly smaller diameter)

So 1.86 ratio w/ 9T drivers should be geared for somewhere around 96 mph (ish) does that sound close?

So dropping 2 teeth on top should put you around at 2.05.....and maybe somewhere around 88 mph???

How is the stock chain length? Should be able to drop 2 teeth on the top sprocket without issues I would assume???

Sounds about right.
Stock chain is a 68 link. Yes you can drop down to a 19/39 with the stock chain.
At first I was using 20/39 for 2500' to 6500'. Worked ok, but it was little tall for tight boondocking.
Since then I have switched to 20/40, which I figure should about right for my elevation and riding style. Hope to find out this weekend. :jump:

Mtnviper said:
Sounds about right.
Stock chain is a 68 link. Yes you can drop down to a 19/39 with the stock chain.
At first I was using 20/39 for 2500' to 6500'. Worked ok, but it was little tall for tight boondocking.
Since then I have switched to 20/40, which I figure should about right for my elevation and riding style. Hope to find out this weekend. :jump:

If im guna be riding at around 8,300Ft what would you suggest gearing it at?

[quote="Erickson[/quote]

If im guna be riding at around 8,300Ft what would you suggest gearing it at?[/quote]

20/39 should be good for ya.

If im guna be riding at around 8,300Ft what would you suggest gearing it at?[/quote]
Either 20/39 or 19/39 should work. Depending on the type of riding you plan on doing. Lower speed boondocking I would lean towards 19/39, trail riding or higher speeds 20/39.

wel im sure il just dinking around in the powder so im guessn the lower the better..do you guys use snow skinz or nething to cover the vents out there or is it nothing to worry about?

Erickson said:
wel im sure il just dinking around in the powder so im guessn the lower the better..do you guys use snow skinz or nething to cover the vents out there or is it nothing to worry about?

More than once this year I've been forced to stand up while riding to the cabin because the snow was deep enough that it was coming over the hood and windshield constantly for the better part of the 30 mile trip. And once there we go looking for snow to play in. Ice under the cowl was annoying but not as much as the steam that roils into my face the moment I slow down. I had to take action to restrict snow ingestion. Here's a post about it.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=70323

Back