• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Y Pipes / Muffler removal

jclee71

Extreme
So I’m home trying to stay busy during this corona situation, 06 Apex tore into exhaust donuts shot Y pipes cracked need to replace bought a set of Y pipes now I’m trying to get the muffler off and I can’t get it off I’m afraid if I keep yanking and banging on it I’m gonna break or crack the Bellows and cause more problems with the rivets and tunnel, I have the clamps off and I stripped out the stupid hex nuts going to bracket so I’m gonna have to drill out the bracket , any advice?

Leave the Y pipes bolted up. Put a block of wood that can span the width of the muffler on the front side of the muffler. Use a larger hammer and pound on the wood against the muffler.
You can also drop the skid and heat where the clamps were to make this easier.

I have the skid out already, im replacing a left side bulkhead and doing exhaust donuts at the same time, so shes apart, probably do pto driveshaft bearing, etc while all apart, lol, only 4500 miles but she needs some love, thks for advise, what a pia

I recall jambing one arm down in front of the muffler and using it as a pry bar towards the back of the sled while wiggling/rotating the muffler with the other hand. Maybe even work better with a second person.
As steiner said, this works better with y pipes still bolted in place with those two dreaded #5 allen bolts.

Last edited:
put some heat on the pipe.

It's surprising how badly that slip gasket joint can become stuck together. I've had battles with it and there was a lot of swearing. If you can pry the tabs open a bit from the bottom and use some heat like already suggested.

Well I got it, thks for the advise, i ended up prying the tabs a little and spraying WD on the joints, i rigged up a t square under the muffler so it would slide back and up, i bungy corded a 4x4 across the front of the muffler and hit it few times with a 10 lb sleg!!!!

Ok, not out of the woods yet! Y Pipes unbolted, bracket bolts are stripped out so can’t remove them, I drilled out the bracket and now how do I remove the Y pipes, is it saw saw time and I end up buying new bracket, how easy is it to saw saw the pipes, ?

Looks like they should slide right out once all the rivets for the bracket are gone. You may need to remove the tunnel protectors but not sure on that.
IMG_5375.JPG

The pipes are still attached to the bracket due to the heads of the dreaded allen bolts are rounded out, the bracket is free as i drilled out the rivits but as a whole unit i cant get it out from above the tunnel protectors and i really dont want to remove protectors

I figure i can try to drill out the allen bolts but i was hoping to leave them so i can remove them with vise grips later and salvage the bracket

I figure i can try to drill out the allen bolts but i was hoping to leave them so i can remove them with vise grips later and salvage the bracket
Drill the heads off them 2 bolts, then unscrew them from the underside,

Just curious, but you do have the clamps connecting the four flex pipes to the two header pipes disconnected, right?

Edit: Just read in your first post that you did. I also had to remove the bracket due to the bolts stripping and did not remove the tunnel protectors after drilling out the rivets. That was quite a while ago as the Apex now has over 18,000 miles and since then I've also had to replace the titanium headers with SS ones. If your existing headers are damaged and already have replacement ones, then worse case scenario you get out your saw.

Last edited: