• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 AK sled build

How effective will the Dremel be? Mine I can barely grind a little metal and it eats pads and cutting discs like every 1 min so I get annoyed quickly. I'm sure you have found some better set up and will be curious to learn. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably won't work very well, I mostly bought it for cleaning up edges. Must of the cut outs will be from drilling holes and using the cut off wheel.

Pick up some carbide bits for your die grinder. They chooch right through aluminum.

carbide_bits.jpg

Yup :drink:

I ordered a couple new scales today too.

I've spent the last couple weeks cleaning and rearranging the shop getting it all setup for the sled. Should be grinding on the motor and bulkhead Sunday. Working 6 days a week for the last few months has slowed things down.

Looking forward to seeing how much total weight you can remove off the motor by just cutting and grinding off unused stuff.

I'm not sure. But I'm picking up a Nytro engine tomorrow that was in a sled that burned. My plan was to pull the guts out of it so I'd have a much lighter empty block for building a tube chassis and I'll also use it to see the inside of everywhere I want to grind.

I'll do my best to weigh the material that comes off.

Had our first child November 13th so it's been a busy 8 weeks but I put the sled back on the table. Going to try and finish up the steering and figure out some tie rod boots.

Congratulations on the babe'! We wont expect much for updates now LOL. I kept thinking once mine were 3 I would have more sled time...so far not so much! Sleds can wait, kids grow up fast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back