• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 updates

krm

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
sidewinder 850 mxz,850xrs 850xrs 900t22Mach Z
Has anyone contacted yamaha ,or have any 1st hand info .on updates to the 2018 sw ? Bulletins to come for 2017 sw owners ??

Not a one, sorry.....I wish.

My dealer is really good with this stuff, and has been riding yammie about many issues in his 4000 miles or so he put on his personal machine, and other customer sled issues....Still nothing from Yammie.

We could very well see updates that are done but not talked about....since so many 17s were sold, they might not want to openly post a ton of updates onto 18s. And then maybe this way just the ones who have the issues will get warranty work on their 17s. Its all speculation on my part though, so who really knows.

But I for one hope I see changes from the 17 on certain things.

Reactions: krm
I guess so far my sled and my sons sleds have only had roller issues,well not mine,cause I started with STM rollers.What else has been a big deal,i guess I ask cause I have not had any issues so far,but only have 720 miles,but its all on a 26o-270 tune.

I guess so far my sled and my sons sleds have only had roller issues,well not mine,cause I started with STM rollers.What else has been a big deal,i guess I ask cause I have not had any issues so far,but only have 720 miles,but its all on a 26o-270 tune.
belts

When no yammie sleds prior have blown belts, there seems to be alot on the SW..Also spring grinding around on primary, and rollers seizing up.....seems like ALOT of clutching things on more then just a few sleds.

I just hope enough people are telling their dealers so the brass knows.

belts

When no yammie sleds prior have blown belts, there seems to be alot on the SW..Also spring grinding around on primary, and rollers seizing up.....seems like ALOT of clutching things on more then just a few sleds.

I just hope enough people are telling their dealers so the brass knows.
I am not sure just how big a deal these rollers on both primary and secondary have become,i know some who have never changed there belt in over 3000 miles,and there clutches still look just like our old clutches of past. But I do understand how frustrating these problems can be,when your dealer may tell you you are the first he has heard of,than yammie saids,we have not seen this either. When I compare these little issues to what my 13 cat shared with me,well it is a none issue!

belts

Agreed. Seen quite a few noise issues. This is what has me leaning toward the Cat 9000. Spending that much and possibly hearing clutch noise...deal breaker here. They are all 3 so close (including the TCat) and I expect that to be right. Other than that what a machine !

Agreed. Seen quite a few noise issues. This is what has me leaning toward the Cat 9000. Spending that much and possibly hearing clutch noise...deal breaker here. They are all 3 so close (including the TCat) and I expect that to be right. Other than that what a machine !

Its not possibly hear clutch noise, you will hear clutch noise eventually. That noise has been happening on every Yamaha sled with a 3 cylinder, 4 stroke engine since the first one came out in 2004 or whatever. Give it time and they will all sound like a tdi when they idle. Belt blowing is obviously a problem, but a little noise when idling, big deal. The noise is harmless.

Its not possibly hear clutch noise, you will hear clutch noise eventually. That noise has been happening on every Yamaha sled with a 3 cylinder, 4 stroke engine since the first one came out in 2004 or whatever. Give it time and they will all sound like a tdi when they idle. Belt blowing is obviously a problem, but a little noise when idling, big deal. The noise is harmless.

Seems that way. Its a big deal to me...harmless or not it is unacceptable. Your mileage may vary.

For me, drivetrain stuff on a new 15k sled has to be amazing. Overall the machine is...they need to fix this peice of it yesterday.

Seems that way. Its a big deal to me...harmless or not it is unacceptable. Your mileage may vary.

For me, drivetrain stuff on a new 15k sled has to be amazing. Overall the machine is...they need to fix this peice of it yesterday.

What would you rather have, a little bit of noise and clutches that last 15000 miles or quieter clutches that are done after 5000 miles? Go ask skidoo guys how long a clutch lasts on an 800. And I see that you drive a tz1 turbo. Those clutches wont last near as long as a yamaha clutch, and that sled is heavier than an apex. At the end of the day, do whatever makes you happy.

I hear ya. They all have something you have to settle on Phil...I agree.

Agree with Phil. Owned a venture and a vector both 3 cal and the clutch rattled. You get used to it........kinda

What a bunch of first world problems lol. My dealer sold 20-22 sidewinders last year An none blew a belt. Roller issues and turbo heat shield issues have been taken care of. And there's clutch noise. Really? The clutches are essentially the same as they were 30 years ago. That technology can't be improved on by leaps and bounds currently. So how about I put it in perspective. It sounds same as me saying my $70,000 trucks windshield wiper leaves a streak after only 6 months, so for $70k they should have wipers that last forever, that's just unacceptable lol.

There will probably be updates and yammy will probably not mention any because then people who aren't even having an issue or just want new calibrations will bitch about it and demand warrenty. We already know they have new rolllers our and belts seem like a small group.

It only makes sense that there will be some updates for the 18's. I mean, what motorsports company doesn't make small tweaks here and there to a second year machine, that was such a huge hit/made such a huge impact. There will be updates...just a matter of what exactly they are?

I agree with the post/what the guy said above this one.

Amen,all my rx1,s apes,and now SW have some primary clutch rattle,bur really,how long are you sitting there listening to this? One thing I know about my winder,dont let it sit there like we ever did ape,s,this motor does not have a fan,to turn on and cool things off,and there is no need to keep it ideling for extended periods of time,once up and running,i hear just the noise of my 3" sandales sweet mouth piece talking to me,saying squeeze me harder bro,i need that feel of speed... lol

Back