• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SOMETHING EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ!!!!

What can you say to something like this. I know it make you think and I am going to print this and havethe guys I ride with read.
I am like all the rest of you guys in that I like to ride fast. I have been riding a sled now for 43 years but you just don't know what the guy coming the other way will do. I to have had my share of close calls. I try to ride during the week when all of these weekend warriors are out there. I know a lot of people can't ride then but if you can there aren't are a lot of sleds out. Back in my early days we always had a twelve pack in the back of the sled but you can't do that any more because these machines are so fast. We will not drink at all no until the sleds are but away for the night. We don't ride after dark any more either and we still put 350 plus miles on a day. I am a single parent and I have a 7 year old daughter who also rides, she has her own 120 and she rides it very well but I don't dare take her out on the trails because of these other people. It is always in the back of my mind to while I am riding with the boys what would happened to my little girl if someone came around that corner and hits me. I am usually the one who rides up front and I am always on the look out for these riders because I want to go home to see my little girl. So I guess we could all stand to slow down a little

Twelve years ago me and three friends were out sledding all day long in the archipelago here. On a very special windprotected place there?s a two mile straightway and we allways hit the throttles there.
In the evening we were heading back,the coast was clear,no sledlights at the "speedrun trail" and I was in the lead for more than 200 meters doing over 100 mph on my wild-cat.
Suddenly my handlebar crushed my visor,threw me of the sled,felt like I was hit by a freighttrain.I thought it was a strange feeling flying through the darkness with the wind blowing in my hair,looking at my helmet flying next to me!
I got away with a broken ankle, and still this day thanks my angels!
Me and my sled flew over 40 meters from takeoff to landing according to my friends and the cat was totaled.Only thing that could be used was motor and primary clutch.
After this I always check the trail at both directions before doing any speedruns ,even if I know its safe.

What had happened?
Once a year the town plows an iceroad for cars over the sea to a big island with a lots of cabins.And they did it while we were out that day.
Not an excuse,just an explanation,I was ignorant but very lucky.

I read this Thurs night right after it was posted and it has been on my mind all day today. I've had allot of time to think and reflect.

I too am stunned by this tragic tale and my thoughts and prayers are with this unfortunate fellow's friends and family.
I am equally stunned by two things that appear to stand out about the incident. First, the WI DNR report says his BAC was .166. In and of itself, that is not good. Second, the chain of events as recounted seem to indicate that this group of riders had just unloaded their sleds after arriving at the cabin. That would mean that there was more than likely alcohol consumed in the truck enroute to the cabin. I certainly don't want to intrude during what is surely a time of overwhelming grief, but it sounds as if everyone was being VERY foolish that night.
And yes, most of us have done the same or worse but that doesn't excuse it anymore. Times have changed and I would really like to respectfully ask all TY members to take "The Pledge" and abstain from intoxicating substances while driving. (ANY DRIVING!)
I think it is something we all need to do.

Respectfully,

Grassfirebob wrote
We all want to blame alcohol rather than speed because most ALL OF US SPEED. So if we just conveniently blame alcohol instead, we're off the hook.

I've ridden sleds for 30years and yes I've seen my share of drunken, stupid accidents that were truly CAUSED by alcohol. But to be honest, I've seen far more where the CAUSE was speed.

I ride with a group that does not ride fast. We've ridden together for years. We just spent 3 days riding in the Two Harbors/Grand Marais, MN. Our average trail speed was 30-35mph. Yes, we stopped and drank a few along the way - but in a 10hour riding day none of us would've even come close to the .08 limit. I consider our group infinitely safer than a group of high-speed, totally sober, trail idiots.

With all due respect sir, you both hit & missed the mark. I agree wholeheartedly about speed and the danger of the sno-cross wannabe's - even sober! However if you think even one or two drinks will not affect your judgement and reflexes, you are fooling yourself! "Zero tolerance" (wait until the sleds are put away) isn't just a good idea - it should be mandatory just the same as auto's!
For the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would want to dull their senses while snowmobiling - it takes away from the enjoyment. I'll continue to imbibe only after the sledding is done for the day!

Please dont let this thread be a finger pointing thread...take it for what its worth and dont try to force your views on others....some will learn and some wont...

I still remember when 1 beer was said to make you a safer driver in a car. The explanation was you were more carefull knowing you had drank. We lost 2 more people here in Vt last week. They left the trail travelled about 80 yards following between the trail and the river and went into about 6 feet of water (about the only place I couldnt see bottom) Still havnt heard a good explanation of how it happened. The driver was 100% sober with a 12 year old on the back. This has especially struck me hard because I felt I may have helped. I live about 1 minute away and within 20 to 30 minutes of getting home from riding I see the cops and ambulance at the bottom of my street. That is the same trail I just came in on! Sure it was night and I dont know if it happened minutes before or after I came through but I felt horrible. were they in there alive and I flew right by? the spot they went in was 1 -2 yards from the trail so I would like to think if I missed it my friend I had to wait for should have spotted them I think? I know myself well and I know I would have dove in leathers and all if only... To sensitive to begin with maybe but I have been the one to show up at the right time to save someone before. I found out they were with another sled who went for help. But still what if?

Hey Guys,

Ditto an everything said. I am 34, raced open wheel modifieds for 7 years and have always owned crotch rockets of over 1000 cc's. Speed, obviously is addictive. Two years ago I was out cruising on my FJ100, and met a couple guys headed my way. We rode for about 1/2 hour and pulled off to take a breather. The first guy had a new Ninja 1100. He proceeded to pull out a beer and so did the other guy. I declined their offer to share, as they both had several more on hand. I hung out and let them do their thing for a few minutes. So the guy on the Ninja follows up by pulling out a pot pipe, stoking it up and asking if I wanted some of that. I told the guys I had to head home to pick up my son and I got the Hell out of their. The guy on the Ninja never made it home to his son. He was in the papers the next day for having crashed and burned (literally) on the ride home that night. Cops figures in excess of 125 mph when he skated across the road into guard rails. Guys stay sober. Period.

I've been riding for almost 30 years so I have come across many accidents on the trails in the northeast U.S. and Quebec. The majority of the deaths that I have seen have been due to drinking and driving, the second largest cause is stupidity- riding MUCH faster than ANYONE could possibly handle on a given trail (missed unexpected turns and crashing into groomers). In fact I saw one accident scene in Quebec that killed a guy on a sled AND a groomer operator out on Lac St. Jean in the middle of the day. If you talk to the NH fish and game officers in the Back lake area, they'll tell you countless stories of the DUI deaths.

RX1Jim said:
I've been riding for almost 30 years so I have come across many accidents on the trails in the northeast U.S. and Quebec. The majority of the deaths that I have seen have been due to drinking and driving, the second largest cause is stupidity- riding MUCH faster than ANYONE could possibly handle on a given trail (missed unexpected turns and crashing into groomers). In fact I saw one accident scene in Quebec that killed a guy on a sled AND a groomer operator out on Lac St. Jean in the middle of the day. If you talk to the NH fish and game officers in the Back lake area, they'll tell you countless stories of the DUI deaths.
You know what... I've been reading these threads for the last few days and frankly I'm getting a little sick of this. Many of you will talk a good game but the fact is that we're all human. Any one of us can be out having a great time with all of our buds riding toward the evening hours when we decide to stop and have supper and also order a beer. I've done it and I'm SURE I'm not the only guy in this forum. IN FACT I PROBABLY DRINK LESS DURING THE COARSE OF ANY GIVEN WEEK THAN MANY OF THE GUYS IN THIS FORUM.

Bottom line... I drink sometimes because I simply enjoy a good beer with some meals (depends what I'm eating).

Now some of you will say "ZERO TOLERANCE !!! Blah Blah Blah we must impose these beliefs on everyone and they must be punished if they fail to adhere."

Some will see it for what it is. ONE beer at dinner because the guy simply enjoys it. Like one guy said earlier. "There's a lot more accidents caused by weekend warriors out of control rather then the guy that drank the beer at lunch or dinner"

Am I condoning the practice of jumping from one bar to another? NO! NO! NO! NO!

Are there always going to be idiots? YES! YES! YES! YES!

But let's be honest and let's real and for Pete's sake some of just think for yourselves. Don't just jump on a bandwagon or flip flop because it sounds good!

OH...By the way! I to am 34 years old and and a father of Two.

One beer will generally lead to another. I like beer but will wait until the sleds are parked for the day.

zoom-

Everyone thinks that ONE BEER won't hurt. Fact is sledding is like bike riding. YOU need ALL of your senses to do it as GOOD as you can. Split seconds often are the difference in accident avoidance. Everyone, by now, knows that alcohol dulls senses, and doesn't peek them. Take ONE beer and go riding and take the chance.

Maybe you're the exception to the rule. Maybe YOU can drink and drive perfectly. Maybe you can stop at one beer. Maybe you should buy more Life Insurance. Russian Roulette anyone?

There are two issues here. One is taking ANY drinks and riding. The other is speed. Speed can kill you surely. Drinking can kill you just as dead. Drinking and winding betsy out will leave those two little children wondering what Daddy was really like.

Nobody can force you to do anything. You have to use the brains God gave you. Talking about this issue is good, because if it causes some to think here, then maybe, just maybe it will save a life. As the beginning of the post clearly describes, that one life....gone....is very sobering for those who are not the ones lying on the slab at the morgue.
Desposing of the wrecked sled, driving the dead guys truck home, breaking the news to the wife and kids that Dad won't be coming home should be something left out of a fun weekend.

Go ahead, and disregard that ONE BEER, if you want. Many on here are thinking about the consequences of doing just that. But the morgues stay busy everyday of the week, and overtime on the weekends. You figure out why.

Anyone who defends drinking and driving is an absolute idiot!!!! Anyone who has lost a member of their immediate family, like I have, due to a drunk driver that said: "I only had a couple of beers" would agree. I go out of my way to shut down drunk drivers and will continue to do so - on the road and on the trails. Anyone who doesn't like my position on drinking and driving (or riding) and the FACTS that I have presented in my last posts can SHOVE IT! As it is our sport is doomed to extinction, drunk drivers and wreckless drivers are just accelerating the pace!

I am a drinker and love drinking. Probably too much actually. I have a story that might help you think twice before drinking and driving which I don't do at all anymore, not even 1 after the night I am going to tell you about.
Chautauqua County New York Last Winter-
We stopped in Sherman on the way to Mayville(10 miles away), for a beer before heading back to the hotel. Some guy was just rocked and said his friends got mad and left him but he did not know how to get back. No problem, follow us and we will get you back. About 2 minutes into the ride, the guy goes flying by me at about 80 and 10 seconds later all we saw was head lights and tail lights and a cloud of snow dust. We helped him untangle his sled from the cow gate he hit and brushed him off. He apologized up and down and said he is so thankful he did not get hurt. 1 mile later, same thing except this time he hit a culvert and that was it for the sled. He got up and asked if we could please help. We said we could, we called the cops and told them he needed help. They got there and let us proceed and took care of him.
Now, normally I am against turning people in but that night changed my mind about drinking and riding/driving. The luckiest people aside from that guy that night is the innocent riders that he could have hit head on if we would have helped him get his sled unstuck again.

Back