• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

04 Rx-1 with Coil Lightshow on all 4!!

Len Todd

TY 4 Stroke God
Was puttin' the sleds to bed and noticed a lot of black powder in three coil wells. Cleaned them all out and changed plugs. Took off the rubber gromlets, re-installed the coils and took a peek. Low and behold, three were arcing consistenly and the 4th was intermittant.

The moral to the story; Even the 04 coils (supposedly the updated ones) arc. Also, one was even distorted significnatly enough to rub what I think is the valve cover to head joint. ??? A 1/16" deep wear spot is in that coil?

Does it hirt these things to use dielectric grease. I assume that you would want to put it only on the plug tips to keep the mess contained to insdie the coil. It would not be good to get the thing overly greasy and having them pop out of there. Right?

Fortunetly, there is YES. I'll be taking it in to the dealer for a look-see next week. Wish me luck.

On my 03 coils they were arcing,I removed both rubber boots and the metal sheild around the shaft of the coil it was all rusty cleaned the sheild and coil with fine sandpaper taped the coil shaft with good quailty elictrical tape,used dielectric grease on boots and the inside of metal sheild .I also installed a small spring around the sparkplug termanal because the coil was sloppy snapping onto the plug ,now I have been trouble free for over 10,000 miles.

Once they have been arcing, are they any good anymore?

It would seem that the insulation would be somewhat broken down.

There was probably some moisture that started the arcing and of course then it made it worse by finding a new shorter path for the current. How did the engine run when you noticed the arcing? This winter my 04 was idling funny but only intermittently.

crazyyamaha said:
On my 03 coils they were arcing,I removed both rubber boots and the metal sheild around the shaft of the coil it was all rusty cleaned the sheild and coil with fine sandpaper taped the coil shaft with good quailty elictrical tape,used dielectric grease on boots and the inside of metal sheild .I also installed a small spring around the sparkplug termanal because the coil was sloppy snapping onto the plug ,now I have been trouble free for over 10,000 miles.

Fill me in on this spring trick. How small a spring, were exactly did you put it? And if it is sitting on the treads of the plug has it ever fallen off when pulling off the coil to remove the sparkplug? I could see it being bad if the spring ended up in the motor.

The spring is just a little smaller than a pen spring it is just big enough to screw over the sparkplug terminal.It doesn't fall off when pulling the coil off for removal,and the spring is only as long as the terminal is.I did this because my sparkplug terminal had grooves worn in them from vibration so there was a small amount of metal dust on the plug and in the bore were the coil sat.also as I mentioned there is a tin sheild around the 2003 coils that had rusty dust on the inside of them all contributing to the arcing because it was easier for the spark to travel up the metel dust than jump the gap of the plug.If you do not catch this soon enough you will get carbon tracking on the coil and you will probably have to replace the coil.

Seld Dog; Forgot to answer your ?

The reason I checked the coils this year is because it started harder and it seemed like it was only running on two cylinders for a moment, once she fired up.

But really, I have not changed the plugs for two + years. I can't even remember when I had the coils out since the second time I started the sled in 04 and flooded it. That is when the plugs last got changed. (left on the choke too long). That was slightly > 5K miles ago.

By the way, the plugs looked perfect and the gap was only out to .032". Last trip out, the sled seemed to be running fine, even though the RPMs were telling me that I need to address the clutching (9900 shifting).

I've never used them, but what about Helicoils? Don't know if they come in the right size.

All my 03 coils were arcing to the metal shield, so discarding it and taping with electrical tape sounds good. I taped my coils in Feb without discarding the shield and there is some arcing on the tape now. I recently bought 4 used 03 coils off ebay. They all fit tight on the spark plug, but have arc marks on the shield. That proves they don't have to be loose on the plug to arc. I wrapped a few strands of tape under the top boot so they fit tight at the top of the valve cover. I have heard of people using o-rings under the top boot. In my opinion, there are two separate issues with these coils: bottom spring and top boot.

LiLAl said:
I've never used them, but what about Helicoils? Don't know if they come in the right size.

All my 03 coils were arcing to the metal shield, so discarding it and taping with electrical tape sounds good. I taped my coils in Feb without discarding the shield and there is some arcing on the tape now. I recently bought 4 used 03 coils off ebay. They all fit tight on the spark plug, but have arc marks on the shield. That proves they don't have to be loose on the plug to arc. I wrapped a few strands of tape under the top boot so they fit tight at the top of the valve cover. I have heard of people using o-rings under the top boot. In my opinion, there are two separate issues with these coils: bottom spring and top boot.
I am sory LiLal I think you misunderstood me I didn' t discard my metal shield I cleaned it and reinstalled it . I believe it is on there for magnetic interferance or such? I could be wrong? I also wrapped under the top boot as you did to keep the coil tight in the valve cover. I agree with you 100% that there are two issues with the coils the top boot and the fit on the sparkplug terminal. If you can keep a good electrical connection at the plug and the top boot sealed so moisture is kept out there should be no arcing.

Yup. I definitely misunderstood, though you left the shield off. That's what I'm thinking of doing.

Took the sled in to the dealer today. Showed them a good lightshow. He has to call YES to see what they will do. Should know Monday, if they will replace them or not.

Back