• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 RX-1 burning oil

nh rx-1rider uses more oil than anyone on this page. I have had several rx-1's and I have not used any oil in any of them. I went 3000+ miles without changeign my oil and it was still on the full mark for the last part of my season running ams-oil.

There was a rx-1 on this page with 20,000 miles and they used sea foam and it did not burn any oil. Infact most people on this page with rx-1's dont use any oil there is a few here and there. Try some sea foam and you should be all set. Nh rx-1 deffently has a problem

Suisse Sledder said:
Both. The only time I had oil problems was when my breather hose got ice and shot oil out the bottom. That was in the 03 before I did the "slit in the hose" trick.

I checked the oil after our 450 mile ride at Christmas and it was fine, very little used at all. To be honest, it is kind of weird how some sleds use oil when the others don't. It must be riding style or mods is all I think.

Mine is 100% stock and I broke it in by the book, but did give it lots of short heavy throttle bursts early in life (very short at lower mileages).

It didn't really use any oil during the 800 kms (500 mile) first oil change interval (I actually changed the oil at 740 kms - before a two day sledding trip). The oil was just down a bit from the full mark.

After about 1200 kms I started to drive it much harder, but still no very long WOT runs (30 seconds max). That seems to be when it started to use a little oil.

However... While typing this I just checked the oil (we just got home from sledding 5 minutes ago so I didn't have to run it long to make sure it was warmed up) and it's right on the full mark still (possibly down a hair, but it's so close I can't tell). So in the last 400 kms (250 miles) it doesn't seem to have burnt any.

One difference in the last 400 kms is the dealer changed the belt. With the original belt (after 1700 kms), the rpms climbed to 10,300 fairly quickly and topped out around 10,350. With the new belt, the rpms were back to starting around 9600 and only hitting 10,300 over 100 mph.

The sled now has 2300 kms on it and with the negligible amount of oil consumed over the past 400 kms I'm not as concerned that I'm going to have an oil burner.

One other thing is make sure you are not actually overfilling the oil. You have to let it run for several minutes before checking it. then when you check it you dont screw the dipstick back into the tank unless you will actually overfill it.

There was an thing about this in one of my snowmobile books that people were actually overfilling them. Be sure to use a good quality oil if not useing yamaha.

YamahaRx-Warrior said:
One other thing is make sure you are not actually overfilling the oil. You have to let it run for several minutes before checking it. then when you check it you dont screw the dipstick back into the tank unless you will actually overfill it.

There was an thing about this in one of my snowmobile books that people were actually overfilling them. Be sure to use a good quality oil if not useing yamaha.

I'd say several minutes isn't long enough.

When it ended up overfilled, I had run it for 15 minutes - mainly idle, but with a little slowly turning the track (off the ground). I then dropped it to the ground (flat - inside my garage) and let it idle for a minute. Finally I shut it down and added enough oil to fill it exactly to the full mark.

During the next ride, I let the sled ide until the light went out (5 minutes) and then drove the sled for about 20 minutes, then idled it for about a minute. The oil was overfilled by about 1/8" - maybe a little more.

I'm running Yamaha 0w30 oil in it (Yamaha recommended oil for the 05's).

I put another 200 kms on the sled. This time with a fair bit of WOT lake racing included. Got it up to 194 kph (121 mph) on the speedometer...

The oil level is sitting exactly at the full mark still.

I don't know why it burnt oil between 1200 and 1900 kms (still breaking in?), but it seems to have cleaned up it's act now.

Cool. Luckily mine isn't as bad this year as I feared...must have taken a ride to get things seated this season. I did about 120 miles Sunday night and Monday morning and only used about 1/2 qt. Its still extremely annoying, but at least its ridable...until the plugs foul. I noticed oil dripping out of the exhaust tips, so it proves its definately burning it.

Jim

nhrxrider, are you using seafoam ? If you are, you will get a lot of oily watery soot out the exhaust when you first start using it. Especially if your motor is carboned up.

When I did my oil/filter change at 739 kms, warmed it up then checked the oil before I changed it, still at the full mark 8)

I put 300 kms since my oil change, checked the oil, still at the full mark.

Just for your info, I used Quaker State High Performance Power engine oil
5W30 synthetic blend
Pour: -37 celcius
Flash point: 210 celcius (411 F)
Viscosity: 166

Better than the Yamahalube 5W30 and as good as the new Yamahalube 0W30 synthetic blend if not better!

Next season or at 4,000 kms if reached before the end of the season, I will use the Shell full synthetic 0W40 (I can get it at the Shell Depot!)
Pour: -48 celcius
Flash point: 226 celcius
Viscosity: 182

I just want to make sure I have at least 4,000 kms before I switch to full synthetic.

I guess Amsoil 0W40 & RedLine 0W40 are as good as the Shell but more expensive!

I'm also tempted with the Castrol Synthec 5W30/5W50... :?

well, to start out with you cant break in a 4 stroke like you can a 2 stroke. Any WOT while there arent any miles on an engine is very bad for it. The way i broke in mine is right when i got it, i started it, and then just let it idle untilt he automatic shutoff killed it, let it cool for a few hours and repeated that, did that for a total of 3 times, then for the first 200 miles i stayed below 6000 rpms, changed the oil and filter. then until 500 miles i stayed below 8000 rpms, then changed the oil. after that, i took it easy with no extended periods of WOT (5 seconds at the very most). now i dont use any oil and my gas millage for cruising the trails is 22mpg and agressive riding is 17mpg. the people that are getting around 13 mpg with their RX1 are the ones that didnt break them in properly.......also the sled calls for 87 octane, 93 octane does nothing put cake the combustion chamber and everything else with carbon. when i got the sled i wanted to get right on it and have some fun with it, but be patient and break in a 4 stroke right and it will last forever

thats intresting. yamaha says NOT to overheat it especially during breakin, but you let it sit and idle untill it shuts down from overheating. stupid yamaha, i knew they dident have a clue about these sleds :ORC

no, not till it hits the overheat safety, it shuts off automaticly on a timer if you let it idle and not touch the throttle, 3-4 minutes...., 4 stroke is goot to get it warm to seat the rings anyways... just a thought do the people that burn oil use over the recomended octane, and that could be the carbon in the ring issue

RX1ton05 said:
well, to start out with you cant break in a 4 stroke like you can a 2 stroke. Any WOT while there arent any miles on an engine is very bad for it. The way i broke in mine is right when i got it, i started it, and then just let it idle untilt he automatic shutoff killed it, let it cool for a few hours and repeated that, did that for a total of 3 times, then for the first 200 miles i stayed below 6000 rpms, changed the oil and filter. then until 500 miles i stayed below 8000 rpms, then changed the oil. after that, i took it easy with no extended periods of WOT (5 seconds at the very most). now i dont use any oil and my gas millage for cruising the trails is 22mpg and agressive riding is 17mpg. the people that are getting around 13 mpg with their RX1 are the ones that didnt break them in properly.......also the sled calls for 87 octane, 93 octane does nothing put cake the combustion chamber and everything else with carbon. when i got the sled i wanted to get right on it and have some fun with it, but be patient and break in a 4 stroke right and it will last forever

Did pretty much the same except that I stayed under 6,000 RPM the first 200 kms as opposed to your 200 miles!

I feel the problem with oil useage with most guys is they are overfilling them. Follow the procedure in the owners manual to a T or you will over fill with oil. If you noticed Yamaha has went with a semi synthectic oil for all of its Four Strokes. Why you may ask. Ever heard of oil baking! Auto Industrie has had the same problem. What happens with todays high output engines is that they run hot and work hard - oil actualy bakes, creating carbon, causing the rings to stick. That why guys are having luck with Seafoam. It is desolving the carbon (caused by high operating temps) thats causing the rings to stick. Yamaha is gone to a semi synthestic oil to relieve this and so have alot of auto manufactures. Yamaha has changed thier rings for the 2005 model year also. If you have a true oil burner i would recommend using Seafoam. Put it in the fuel tank, also remove the spark plugs and pour 2 ounces into each cylinder, rotate the engine by hand one revolution. Do this for 2 or 3 days. I read on another post to raise the back of the sled so the engine is level and the Seafoam can be distributed evenly (good idea). After 2 or 3 days put a rag over the spark plug holes and crank the engine to remove any Seafoam that has not leaked past the rings (Make shure you kill the ignition source first so you do not create a fire). If you fail to do this you could hydralic your engine and bend a rod. Reinstall spark plugs, fire up the sled and let it warm up. Then change the oil and filter. Be shure to use a semi synthetic. I am a firm believer in using OEM oils. If done properly your oil consumption should be gone. I have successfuly done this befor and it works. Good Luck.

Back