• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'06 Apex GT...want more top end

bwsbar

I have a stock '06 Apex GT with 144 picks and blew my chain case apart last week in Canada (due to a leak in the factory seal...but let's not talk about that). Now that I need a new chain, gears, bearings, etc. I would like more top end (nothing to extreme). Any suggestions on gearing? If so, any clutch adjustments needed to accomodate the new gearing? I pretty much only run this machine on groomed trails in Quebec, no ditch banging for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Get an Ulmer Clutch kit and run 22/38 gearing. It seems to work the best for groomed trail riding. You have to be in perfect conditions (like glare ice) for the stock gearing to show anything and even that, it's still too high. The 23/38 is alot better, but I would think 22/38 seems to be the best for hard packed snow. It will top out at 114mph on GPS and will get there quicker.

the stock apex does not have enough HP to pull the stock gear, much less change it out for a higher one. People are changing to a lower gear to be quicker out of the hole and are not loosing top end.

There are lots of little tuning tricks posted on here that may get 1-2 mph but it you want something serious - Turbo or Supercharge it

Ulmer clutching with adjustments and set up for radar I had 4 runs on ice of 122.2-124.4 mph.No tailwind.
06 Apex GT with reverse,stock gearing,stock 1.25 track,low windshield, and 144 studs.
My GT will run down many sleds accross VERY hard packed lakes.
Ulmer kit is easy to adjust.
I get a steady 14.5 mpg.
1 less on the gear at least would help for trails.

I would drop to the 23 tooth gear i have a buddy with an 07 rtx that was running the 22 gear and i could always out mph him. He bumped up to a 23 tooth gear and were basically dead even on top end From what ive seen the 22 is slower then the 23

22 is usually fastest on snow, basically when the conditions are poor for a speed run. Get on perfect hardpack or ice and the 23 is for sure faster on the big end. Most say the 22 feels a little funner for the trails though. Always give and take with this things.

Yam 182,
I have a very similar set-up to you in my GT. I'm at my wits end to figure out how to get traction with this set-up. I get smoked out of the hole every time. It seems that I'm not getting any weight transfer. I have tried the transfer rod everywhere between min. and max. limiter strap all out, ect. and can count on one hand the # of times the sled has pick the skis up in 2 seasons. This is strange for me since switching from Cat where weight transfer wasn't an issue

Torque!!!!!!!! I have said all along, the amount of torque these machines is create is almost a problem. My 07 gt with 192 studs, my 250lbs on the back and transfer set between std and max and on hard pack, it will still spin for forever. The skis will only pull about 6"off the ground, which is fine, but if the sled could get some traction, it would probably go over backwards. I have not tried to hook it up on glare ice.

I think the sled transfers ok, I just dont see any results because the track just breaks loose before you launch up and out.

Thinking of trying a different track next year. Maybe longer studs.

OTB

I have a Gt, 144 picks, big boy spring and if I have the transfer rod past mid way I can not keep the skiis on the ground. Even at mid transfer rod adjust, I carry them often, not high 6-12 inches, but for a long way.

Something must be different, wrong if you get no ski lift.
If you get excessive spin, I still do that with just 144, that I can understand.

Yamadoo

I do get a bit of spin with 144 studs, but on hardpacked it hooks pretty good and carry's the skis for a while. Can't see how 192 is not doing the job.

I'm running 192 Golddiggers. 120 1.45" in the middle and 72 1.325" on the edge. I've wondered if I could be overstudded? I have a 23 tooth gear that I want to try but I feel that it wouldn't make any sense since it will only add more torque at the bottom which it can't handle the hook-up now. I weigh 230lbs. and have the stock spring on the rear shock (will change at end of season)turned all the way up. I'm not sure if this has any negitive impact on transfering weight?

I have a 05 RX1 with the mono skid. Some mods, transfer set at max, strap all the way out and 23 tooth gear and she will not hook on thin hard pack or ice from a stop. At 10 mph roll on it hooks and goes. I have 144 studs and 48 chisels. Deep hard pack snow and she hooks great from a dead stop. On hard pack it will pull the skis 6" at 55 mph. The sled is a lot of fun to drive, but sure wish I could get it to hook out of the hole.
Bruce

Why not stop doing drag races from a stop on glare ice? Pick your fights. On glare ice you just trash your studs from a stand still anyways.

Not to be smart but why would ice hurt your studs. I understand dirt or gravel roads. I use to run a speed track with chissels and they would stay sharp for a long time if you only run on ice.
I have been on Polaris sleds for ever. My last sled was Ultra with a HTG 900. It had 196 hp and 121 ft lb of tq. That sled would hook any time any where with a 1 " track and 196 studs.
Just not use to having to do roll ons to race.
I guess it is what it is and I need to get over it.
Bruce

Back