• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Rage - Engine noise, fuel mileage

sleddermb

Extreme
Gents,
I have an 06 Rage that I bought last spring. Had the shock revalved and it rides nice. I have about 100 miles on so far and noticed the engine has a knock or rattle that you notice when idling. It's not hammering or anything, just makes me a little uneasy. Is this normal on the 3 cylinder or should I be worried. Starts and runs great, performance is fine, hits 95 mph without breaking a sweat (and I'm 300 lbs.).

Second, Does anyone or everyone use isopropyl on the four strokes.

Third, I got about 14 mpg imperial (12 us) on the first partial tank. It was varying speed (majority 50-70 mph in 6" of powder) and all breaking trail in fresh snow. I was expecting a little better mileage, but like I said, I'm not a tiny tot. Other than dropping a 100 lbs, any thoughts! I haven't looked at the carbs, but it runs fine so I assume the carbs aren't gummed.

Thanks,
Greg

Do a search on clutch rattle...3 years of reading for ya. Mileage is low but snow is soft & fluffy. Mileage will be better on hardpack.

Turk said:
Do a search on clutch rattle...3 years of reading for ya. Mileage is low but snow is soft & fluffy. Mileage will be better on hardpack.

Yep... Clutch Rattle, mine has had it for 9,000 miles with no problem.
The fuel mileage increases drasticly after 500 miles and seems to get a little better over the next 1,000-1,500 after that. At about 2,000 miles mine seemed to level off at right around 20+-.

Have most of you guys just left the stock clutch as is, or do you recommend installing the shims/orings.
Any other thoughts on fuel mileage, ie things to check and does anyone have problems icing up without using isopropyl.

The clutch is annoying and you could read the 3 million posts and varying responses what have worked and what hasn't. At the end of the day you could also choose just to ride and not wrench. I'm sick of wrenching all the crap I have here so I let it go.

The motor is the best in the business , (hard fact) so don't worry one thing about that.

Sometimes the rattel can be almost eliminated with a carb sync, or a little higher idle. Dont do a carb sync until you have 1000 miles on the sled.

Slowly getting a bigger smile on my face. Each tank seems to get a little better mileage. Just filled up today and got 16 mpg imp (14 us). Not super, but respectable.

sleddermb said:
Second, Does anyone or everyone use isopropyl on the four strokes.

Some iso is OK, but NOT if you're using gas with ethanol in it.
1. It does the same thing (absorbes the water)
2. Yami manual says not to.

Personally, it depends on how much fuel is left in the tank when you're not using it. If you store it with a full tank and there isn't big temp differences between use, I don't think it becomes a huge issue. I usually store it full...ride it for 60-80 miles and refill it before it goes back into the shed.

I might think differently if I stored it in a heated garage then, alternately, left it outside from time to time. But mine isn't heated.

The engine 'rattle' is the primary clutch weights bouncing off the rollers. The '97' vmax 700's had this noise as well. I placed a metal tab under the weight to hold it against the roller, it worked great! No more noise.

It's unfortunate that Yamaha hasn't addressed this issue because it makes a really good product seem cheap. With my hood open on my 05 vector it was deafening. My friends thought the crank bearings were shot.

The clutch rattle is peculiar. With the side panel off, my primary sounds like hell - rattles like a Diesel truck on a -20 deg morning. With the panel on it isn't so bad due to all of the sound absorbing foam. I think the problems isn't with the 120 deg firing order as some have suggested (the Cat 660 tripple 4 stroke didn't have this problem).

The Cat clutches have casting pegs which the heel of the weight sits upon and creates pressure against the spider rollers - sounds like what you accomplished with your metal shims.

Also, I can't seem adjust my idle higher than 1400 rpm. It either wants to idle at 1400 or 2500. It seems that there is no in-between. Just a hair up on the idle adjustment and I am looking at 2500rpm's every time I stop.

red rider said:
The engine 'rattle' is the primary clutch weights bouncing off the rollers. The '97' vmax 700's had this noise as well. I placed a metal tab under the weight to hold it against the roller, it worked great! No more noise.

It's unfortunate that Yamaha hasn't addressed this issue because it makes a really good product seem cheap. With my hood open on my 05 vector it was deafening. My friends thought the crank bearings were shot.

Metallicat said:
Also, I can't seem adjust my idle higher than 1400 rpm. It either wants to idle at 1400 or 2500. It seems that there is no in-between. Just a hair up on the idle adjustment and I am looking at 2500rpm's every time I stop.

OK, we're heading off topic, but mine was about 1100 - 2500. I haven't adjusted it yet (don't need to anymore), but I just paid (I know...I should be able to do this myself with the help of this forum, but...) to get my carbs cleaned. Whether it was true or not, I'll never know, but they said that 2 of the three were in need of the cleaning and possibly synching.

Last year I noticed it running slow and adjusted it up and just like you , it would really take off (I began using the parking brake just in case, esp. when starting it on the choke). I also became worried as it would occasionally backfire during the warm up and when shutting down.

Guy knew it was off by the way she idled and that it would still run when (at least partially was) on choke after being warmed up.

Charged me 1.3 hrs at $55 per plus $15 in "supplies." My Vec is Ok, but my Rage was bought slightly used and I can't complain if $90 is what it takes to get it running right. Hopefully I won't need to do it again if I take precautions.

Back