• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 VENTURE clutch noise

Just Yamin'

I'm new to YAMAHA . yes I was bit slow at driving the best but none the least I do love this sled.I put over 900 mi on it and my clutch is rather noisy, some guys are telling me get used to it. This is a sound that non yamers grinch at or laugh at. Is this normal? :yam: javascript:emoticon(':yam:')
Yamaha Rule

Since you have the '06 and the clutch fix was supposed to be in it then yes get used to the noisy clutch. I had my clutch updated at it has progressively gotten more noisy especially after it is warmed up.

Sounds like you need a clutch shim kit.

Most 05 RS series sleds had clutch rattles.

This was a Yamaha Update Bulletin item for those that had clutch rattles.

Give your dealer a call, he should be able to install a clutch shim kit under warranty.

Either-way, it's worth having your clutch checked.

Hope this helps! ;)!

You won't notice the clutch rattle once you start wearing ear plugs or an Ipod to block out the track howl. :yam: In case you have not heard, twomorestrokes sled does not track howl. :D

I was talking to one of the factory guys at the Demo rides in Munising. I told him that my '06 Rage clutch was starting to rattle. He told me to take it to the dealer and they would put the '05 kit into it and if it continued they would then put a shim kit in it. I guess the bottom line is you dont have to put up with a noisy clutch. :D

Just Yamin', is your clutch making a rattling noise? Or is it making a whining noise?

Until I had the shim kit installed, I had the clutch rattle, but I would only hear it at idle.

I get the whining noise while riding and I just get used to it.

Grimm said:
Just Yamin', is your clutch making a rattling noise? Or is it making a whining noise?

Until I had the shim kit installed, I had the clutch rattle, but I would only hear it at idle.

I get the whining noise while riding and I just get used to it.
WHAT I'M HEARING IS A LOUD RATTLE AT IDLE COLD OR HOT.

If all thing's right...... there is no such thing as clutch noise.
If you guys have it, then to you to make a move. Out of the box, the 2005, (all RS) would start to rattle between 400 to 800 miles... just worn enought for the spacer kit to fit in at the first dealer checkout. Since this was only a matter of time before it do it again, they come up with this O-Ring spacer kit, which i had installed at 4200 Km. Well, it lasted for 500 Km only ??? I could not stand it anymore...... the howl is one thing i can tolerate at some level as it shows up only when certain condition are met and again i am riding.... away from the crowd... this diesel noise is more like in the parking lot & rather shooting at the crowd...... it irritate me.

Two things i found.......
Syncing the carbs, has reduced the noised by half.
Figuring that the clutch got all put back together wrong and have it fixed gave me the other half.

I built a differential pressure guage so to sync the carb and found it very effective to smooth the idle but still....i could hear the clutch.... surprisingly, when i inspected the clutch real closely, found that the X mark was not matching.... and then it was from the O-Ring job the dealer had done !!! Since the balancing of the assembly is done with the X mark all in line, having either one part away from this result in an out-of-balance clutch...........then there was this moaning at high RPM, a some kind of resonnant frequency at 7000 that was impressive..... result=1/16 groove at 3/4 high in my primary after 2000 Km. Now, had their mistake fixed(clutch parts aligned) and all is fine.... since 3000 Km. no more rattle.... no more whinning..... no more whizzing..... well... soon no more snow...

Back