• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Apex airbox mods

Well for shits and giggles I ordered my air box lid it is a simple swap so I will put a stock lid on and make 3 runs and then swap it out and run 3 runs with just the lid change and I will record it on video with a radar gun and GPS and we will see what if any benefits I get from it

Now the RX-1 had HUGE gains with ECP filter kit. Much more acceleration over a stock RX-1, I think the lighter springs allowed most of the increase.

KnappAttack said:
Now the RX-1 had HUGE gains with ECP filter kit. Much more acceleration over a stock RX-1, I think the lighter springs allowed most of the increase.

The filters and jetting helped alot more then just the springs I found. I think the trumpets in the airbox are more critical then the airbox itself. I can't see the lid actually helping much without propper tuning with a powercommander though. That's ALOT more air with no additional fuel...that can't be good for power.

I've added additional vents to the front of the sled like this. Also note I've added holes and prefilter material to the black plastic snow blockoff plate in the nose of the sled to allow cold air to enter the factory intake under the airbox. This does work to allow cold air in also.

It is in the post I originated with my mod airbox version that works only in a first pass scenario, like the Ram Air lid only without the noise.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=51898

Ive tried both together and feel it ran best on top...
I have a top lid for sale in the classifieds

Running up in Muni my stock 07 GT against a base Attak with extra holes drilled like swiss cheese all around the front of the airbox he would ever so slightly pull me in midrange. He had 3,000 miles on his sled while I had 1,000. We attributed the slight increase to his airbox. With the hood on you couldn't see the holes. It sounded pretty knarly ;)!

Air box mod

Yes I am running both ulmer and fix ram air together. Running both together did gain about 3/4 of a sled length in the first 200 ft. versus ulmers alone. Had to put pod up to plus 15.

I have both on now, but did not add any fuel. Have about 250 miles on it, but temps were between -2 and +4 Celsius. I have not noticed any bog other than when I first started sled in morning. After sled warmed up, no bog. I am wondering if the fuel injection has added enuf fuel. Maybe I will have to add fuel for colder temps? Did not run anyone but have attained fasted dream meter numbers with it to date.

catchmeifucan said:
I have both on now, but did not add any fuel. Have about 250 miles on it, but temps were between -2 and +4 Celsius. I have not noticed any bog other than when I first started sled in morning. After sled warmed up, no bog. I am wondering if the fuel injection has added enuf fuel. Maybe I will have to add fuel for colder temps? Did not run anyone but have attained fasted dream meter numbers with it to date.

The Genesis has an air temp sensor so you do not need to add fuel for colder temps but you may need extra fuel due to the increased air flow even though you don’t have a low end stumble. You may need more fuel in the mid and top.

[quote="Iceman57"] With the air box opened I walk a little more on the sleds I run with and as far as the fuel economy I have always, from day one, gotten between 12 and 13 miles per gallon with my sled. I always ride my sled with the hammer down. Knapp you of all people should know that no two engines run the same or are built the same. There are slight to moderate differences in all engines, some may have a stumble down low like mine, some may run stronger on top, some may have a better midrange. I’m sure you know that Engines are built to certain specs, some engines could be close to tolerance and some could be on the high or low end. The tolerance specs cover all aspects of the engine from the intake to the valves to the pistions to the crank to the exhaust ect. Some engines may need more fuel then others at certain RPM’s, some could benefit much more from a exhaust that breaths better then the stock exhaust. Because of the inconsistencies in engines a balanced and blueprinted engine will out perform almost all that are not. Some engines may be as close to the factory specs right off the line but not many. Because of the differences one engine could benefit from a slight advance in the timing by installing an Ignition Module, another could benefit from more or less fuel and this could ge accomplished by adjustments from a Powercommander or opening the air box or aftermarket exhaust for better airflow or unrestricted the exhaust . The Powercommander eliminated my low end stumble by adding 8% fuel at the 2% and 5% throttle position. Bottom line is, with my sled, I do have a performance gain with the increased airflow. I’m not saying it’s a difference in night and day but its there. There are many people on there who claim gains in performance from their mods and I’m pretty sure they are not supplying us with false information. I’m sure you and I would get difference results from the same mods installed on both our sleds. I won't argue your performance claims good or bad without first hand knowledge and you shouldn’t argue mine[/quote]

Iceman, Your airmod mod that you are talking about here - Did you cut the rectangular bottom off or did you drill holes ? I am wondering if the if results can be obtained with just drilling holes in the bottom.

Back