• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Apex Error Code 42 and 84

rocksolidsr

Country
USA
Snowmobile
yamaha
I have an 07 Apex and a little over a month ago I was riding it it started throwing error code 42 and 84. While I was riding I noticed that the speedometer would incorrectly read 0 mph while I was definitely going faster than 0!!

My question is do you think it is just a bad speed sensor or something else, so after looking more closely at it, it does appear to be broken?

Is the sensor hard to replace, are there any instructions?

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• IMG_20200325_164607_red.jpg
    IMG_20200325_164607_red.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 166

I have an 07 Apex and a little over a month ago I was riding it it started throwing error code 42 and 84. While I was riding I noticed that the speedometer would incorrectly read 0 mph while I was definitely going faster than 0!!

My question is do you think it is just a bad speed sensor or something else, so after looking more closely at it, it does appear to be broken?

Is the sensor hard to replace, are there any instructions?

Thanks,
Shane
Clearly, it's physically damaged. The driveshaft bearing failed and took the sensor out.
The track will need to be loosened first. Then remove the old bearing and install new one. Often the inner race can be stubborn to get off, depending on if any rust has set in between the bearing and shaft.
The sensor is easy to change. Simply unbolt it and follow the wire to the plug. Reverse steps for install.

thank you for the prompt replies, this may be beyond my skill set, anyone know how much a mechanic would charge for this?

at minimum an hour for labour charge + parts. i have replaced that bearing in 20 min when it failed the same way on my 11 apex. it is pretty easy to do.

I am having trouble loosening the track, I've loosened the bolts at the rear of the track but the track did not seem to get a looser, are there any other bolts to loosen or tricks to help get the track loose?

I am having trouble loosening the track, I've loosened the bolts at the rear of the track but the track did not seem to get a looser, are there any other bolts to loosen or tricks to help get the track loose?
Did you loosen the nut on the end of the main axle?

Not only is Port Yamaha an awesome vendor to deal and work with, but they also have the parts micofiche which can help in times like this to see how something is fastened together. Other Yamaha dealers have this on their website but there's only one Kevin. ;)!

Like 74Nitro suggested, you need to have the drive axle bolt (#36) loosened as well as those two rear track tension bolts #39.

Capture.JPG

so i finally got the bearing off!! albeit with some struggles!!

however now i'm trying to get the new bearing on and before i do i was trying to move the axle to the center of the hole but it is hardly budging. anyone have any tips on getting that centered up? I've loosen the track as much as i could but it didn't give it much room to move.

IMG_20200523_160900 - Copvcgy.jpg

Not only is Port Yamaha an awesome vendor to deal and work with, but they also have the parts micofiche which can help in times like this to see how something is fastened together. Other Yamaha dealers have this on their website but there's only one Kevin. ;)!
X2

Like 74Nitro suggested, you need to have the drive axle bolt (#36) loosened as well as those two rear track tension bolts #39.

View attachment 155476

so i finally got the bearing off!! albeit with some struggles!!

however now i'm trying to get the new bearing on and before i do i was trying to move the axle to the center of the hole but it is hardly budging. anyone have any tips on getting that centered up? I've loosen the track as much as i could but it didn't give it much room to move.

View attachment 155538

First of all, clean the shaft with a green pad & file off any burs on the shaft that were caused by the 2 set screws. Get a buddy of yours & have him push the shaft forward while you put on the bearing

i did loosen that bolt, and the track is fairly loose now, but i still can't really move the axle?

Back