• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Venture Lite Chaincase / gear Replacement

apeddigrew

Veteran
there is a loud Clunking sound coming from the chain case / gearbox area. sled will move but makes very loud clunk every 4-5 feet. sounds like damaged gear sprocket or chain maybe. does track need to be let go and is this a difficult repair? all comments welcome.

thks much,

ap

apeddigrew said:
there is a loud Clunking sound coming from the chain case / gearbox area. sled will move but makes very loud clunk every 4-5 feet. sounds like damaged gear sprocket or chain maybe. does track need to be let go and is this a difficult repair? all comments welcome.

thks much,

ap
Any update on this problem?
I'm asking because I had a similar issue with mine on the first ride this season. That is, when almost stopped there was a clunk and it didn't seem to want to move and the green light blinked when going into forward gear and did not engage unless it was rocked. Afterwards it drove okay but seemed like there was more vibration from the drive system.
Any thoughts on what my problem might be? Loose chain? Gear problems?
thanks,

Have you guys checked your belts?A belt with chunk out of it will do this and it almost sounds like motor has a issue 4-5 ft interval seems real long though.More like a track issue.

cannondale27 said:
Have you guys checked your belts?A belt with chunk out of it will do this and it almost sounds like motor has a issue 4-5 ft interval seems real long though.More like a track issue.
Thanks, I'll check the belt first then. What type of issues with the track could cause clunking? What about the chaincase or gears?

Thing is chain and gears turn completely around at least 5 times in 5ft distance.Belt more so it would normally be much more frequent.Sure you dont have a Ice chunk in tunnel or a broken clip on track?

Sounds like there was some sort of binding somewhere. If you turn your secondary clutch back and forth, is there a lot of slack? Did you check the chain adjustment? Could just need to be re-adjusted. Beyond that, without opening up the chaincase, it would be difficult to diagnose. Hopefully it's not the reverse gearcase, which would be a PITA to remove.

thanks for the ideas, I have a few things to check now as a starting point. So how much slack in the secondary is too much and if there is slack what does that indicate?

You dont measure the slack.Turn adjuster bolt in with your fingers till tight then back off 1/4turn.TWO fingers.

Like Cannondale said. It's just to give an indication that the chain may need to be adjusted. There shouldn't be that much movement.

I tend to adjust it on the loose side for the reverse to work better. I turn the adjusting bolt just until I start to feel resistance and then back it out 1/4 turn. Manual says finger tight but this is very subjective. Is that tight until you can't turn it anymore? Just sorta tight? I had the best results with my method.

Okay thanks for the explanation - I'll check those things first. I also have a new track to install so I'll see if there are any issues inside the chain box.

I think I have found my problem, that is the outside surface of the helix is damaged where it slides into the secondary. I don't have it apart yet to see if the clutch is damaged but the secondary is scarred bad. have no idea how this could have happened unless something got between the secondary and the helix- any thoughts? Will get some pics when I get it apart.

I had the same noises you heard happen to me today.. got my sled home and took the chaincase cover off. My driveshaft bearing is junk.

Back