• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 XTX 20 miles WTF???????????????

XTX Kory said:
The more I look at it, which is every hour or so< I am getting obsessed! It looks like the bottom a-arm actually bends up a little, If you look at the 1st pic of sled from the front the left a-arm (sleds left) appears to bend ever so slightly just past the sway bar mount. The spindle is almost straight up and down. Where exactly is the gusset plate anyone have a pic of what I should be looking for?? Man this sucks! I bought this sled in April, been waiting for 9 monthes to ride It!

PM Laneo on here, get him to find you a new lower a arm, then install it and ride teh season and pull the subframe in the spring (its 12 bolts) and straighten it out and add gussets, i'm in the same boat but i'm not missing the season over it. my 2 cents

yup

You know, I put on a new set of ski's last Sunday and at that time noticed that my right ski was toed in about 2 inches. Had to use all the threads on tie rod to correct toe with new ski. After reading this post, I am curious about why. I do pound my sled for all it's worth and have hit a bunch of stuff at high speed hard. Betcha I got a bend somewhere. Goin to check now.........either way it's getting ridden till the snow melts.

Find a small straight edge a put it on the lower A arm. It will help you tell where the bend is. Mine was between the the sway bar and spindle. It bent up and twisted back. Tried to straighten it on a press. Did not work but helped. The frame looks ok but I guess I will know more when I put the new one in.

Check out the mountain nytro forum and look for 2009 subframe. There are a lot of great info and pics to look at, all about the subframe.

XTX Kory said:
Where exactly is the gusset plate anyone have a pic of what I should be looking for?? Man this sucks! I bought this sled in April, been waiting for 9 monthes to ride It!

I hear ya, last year I bent the subframe after only 100km...and it was at such a slow speed too.

A sure sign of a bent subframe is the buckling of the metal plate on the bottom of the subframe where the lower A-arms bolt to. Take a peak and see.

Definitely take it in to your Dealer to have them go over it, maybe they will repair it under warranty.

Here's a pic of mine from last season:

Attachments

• 8b.JPG
    8b.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 74
i can tell from the pic ur lower a arm is bent
ive herd enough of these subframes bending im taking my sled to my fab guy and seeing what we can cum up with he is anal at everything he duz
the sled will snap in to befor any thing he builds duz
ther trying to make em lite but if you hit a pussy willow u cant have ur toe off by to inches either

Sorry to say, but if the A-arm is bent, which it looks like it is in the pic. The subframe is likely tweaked also. The bottom A-arms are actually pretty stout. It takes a lot to bend em'. Hey look at it this way, at least the price of the subframes is coming down!

I feel sorry for you XTX Kory! That is a real downer! Really is unacceptable the way these ridiculously priced sleds are manufactured like an aluminum pop can! There is no way in hell these things should be bending at these low speeds like quite a few guys are reporting on here.

Blue 4's Rule said:
I feel sorry for you XTX Kory! That is a real downer! Really is unacceptable the way these ridiculously priced sleds are manufactured like an aluminum pop can! There is no way in hell these things should be bending at these low speeds like quite a few guys are reporting on here.

They don't. I've been racing my '08 with the stock, ungusseted subframe and the only time I've done damage to the front end was when I cart wheeled the sled at high speed after hitting a series of wind drifts. The impact bent the tip of my Ultra Flex III ski and made one spindle more vertical than the other. I couldn't find anything bent or tweaked in the sub frame so the left side a-arms twisted from the impact. I just took a big pry bar and leveraged that side back into place.

If the front end is impacted by something at the perfect angle then damage results. The a-arms are really long and the mounting points on the sub frame are really thin and flimsy. The skis just have a lot of leverage to transfer the impact's energy into the subframe. Ski-doo has the same issues with impacts damaging "Nun's" and S-modules on their sleds. It is just the nature of the designs. Polaris seems to have a pretty solid front end, but in one race, my buddy caught a stump on his IQ and the riveted a-arm mounting points didn't sheer away as clean as everyone believes they will. The aluminum in is his bulkhead tore at one of the a-arm mounts and he had to get it welded. I guess what I'm trying to say is they all have problems.

Basically if you hit something, whether you noticed it or not, will probably cause damage. The current designs are not as durable to impacts as the old trailing arm sleds were.

So far I've been lucky with mine too but I agree with one guys post on here, everytime I hear or feel a bump or a nick with the ski I'm thinkin Oh boy, is that the one to do her in??! Should never have to think like that unless of course one hits something quite hard. It gets really old hearing they all have problems. Yes they do but it is really up to us the consumers. We keep buying this sub par stuff and saying that's just the way it is. I agree with you that the old trailing arm sleds had a way more durable chassis than these new ones. I much prefer the rider forward and overall ergonomics of the new sleds though.... Hmmm...

This A-arm front end design will take all kinds of abuse in a straight line, but they bend very easily with a very minor impact from the side when you are turning full-lock. Bump something at 10 or 15 mph when turning, and it can bend. I've done it twice. There was absolutely NO sign of impact, and yet the subframe was bent. Replaced under warranty - no questions asked. As long as there is no indication of impact, the dealer should be able to fix it under warranty. Best to get it to the dealer ASAP. Last time I was at the dealer, they had 4 bent subframes sitting on the shop floor.

Traildale, anyway you could let me know how you are getting it warrantied? I have no signs of damage to my sled and don't remember hitting anything and my local Yamaha dealer called for me and they said no it was caused by impact of some sort. I want to get this fixed very soon as I have trips planned!

I DID THE SAME THING TO MINE AFTER 40 MILES SUBFRAME IS BENT I HAD TO LOOK TWICE AT YOUR PICTURES LOOKED JUST LIKE MINE WITH THE SHOCK BACK. THE SUBFRAMES ARE GARBAGE AND IF YOU SEARCH ON HERE LOTS OF THE SAME ISSUES SIMPLE FIX TAKE IT APART BEND IT BACK AND THEN REINFORCE IT..A 1/16 OF AN INCH BEND IN THE SUBFRAME WILL CAUSE A HALF INCH OR MORE AT THE SKI AS FAR AS BEND.

Just got bck from the dealer, subframe is ok, just the bottom arm is bent, tech could find no sign of an impact and stated that he has seen them come bent from Yamaha, stated that it could have been dropped or something during shipment, stated that Yamaha will most likely not go good for it but that I should call the customer service line which I will do. I am going to try that now, will keep you updated. Thanks

Back