• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 xtx

Pabstkiller

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 apex
had a guy reach out wanting to trade his 09 xtx for my 06 apex. i don't know anything about Nytro's. mainly looking for opinions from people who've owned/rode both. here is a list of things done to the nytro

14k miles
2020 skidoo pilot x skis.
Yamaheaters hand warmers with boost.
Yamaha accessories boogie wheels.
Stainless exhaust flex pipes in stead of donuts. Garage works I believe
DuPont slides
Led headlights bulbs
7 inch led light bar
Linq brackets for extra fuel tank
Rear skid shocks rebuilt
Front fox floats
Fresh oil change with filter.
Yamaha oil and filter.
Chain case bearings
Yamaha red upgrade relays. All 4 or 5. Can’t remember
New carbides this year. Use ski doo. 4 inch.
New bearings in boogie wheels that had replaceable ones.
I’m sure I’m forgetting stuff.
Put plugs in it last year for maintenance.
Front end was completely taken apart and fresh black powder coated. New oil light bushings in front end when assembled.

my apex has just over 6000 miles
huck #5 clutch kit
huck Exhaust
Newer studs
dougnuts were done 300 miles ago
Yamaheaters hand warmers
Fresh oil change with filter.
Yamaha oil and filter.
newer slides and carbides
added bogie wheels
all bushings were done in the last 1000 miles

I loved my Nytro XTX, but never took the time to get it to corner on groomed trails. You might want to investigate to see if it has the mod that moves the steering post forward; big improvement in ergonomics.

I've had a'06 Nytro which is the same chassis as your apex and now a '9 Nytro. Two completely different sleds. The RS is a trail beast, low center of gravity, wants to stay flat on the turns. No matter how well you tune a FX, it isn't going to hang with a RS in tight trails, too much mass higher up.

Get the FX off trail or on bumps, and it is a much better sled. My FX is an XTX, 144" track, whereas my RS was 136". The FX XTX comes factory with a 1.25" lug, the previous owner shoe-horned a 2" on mine, which I probably wouldn't have gone with. It can burn slides pretty easily on groomed trailer.

But, with all that said, I'd never trade a sled with 6k miles for one with 14k. Yamaha's do last a long time, but at 14k that engine is well into middle age. When I upgraded last year, I was out about $1000 between buying the XTX for a great price, and selling my RS for more than I thought. Both had around 3500 miles.

(correction, thought the 06 Apex was a RS chassis, it is RX with a mono shock, but still about the same)

Last edited:
I've had a'06 Nytro which is the same chassis as your apex and now a '9 Nytro. Two completely different sleds. The RS is a trail beast, low center of gravity, wants to stay flat on the turns. No matter how well you tune a FX, it isn't going to hang with a RS in tight trails, too much mass higher up.

Get the FX off trail or on bumps, and it is a much better sled. My FX is an XTX, 144" track, whereas my RS was 136". The FX XTX comes factory with a 1.25" lug, the previous owner shoe-horned a 2" on mine, which I probably wouldn't have gone with. It can burn slides pretty easily on groomed trailer.

But, with all that said, I'd never trade a sled with 6k miles for one with 14k. Yamaha's do last a long time, but at 14k that engine is well into middle age. When I upgraded last year, I was out about $1000 between buying the XTX for a great price, and selling my RS for more than I thought. Both had around 3500 miles.

(correction, thought the 06 Apex was a RS chassis, it is RX with a mono shock, but still about the same)
I ended up passing on it because of the mileage, as much as I would like a sled with a longer track i just couldn't trade for one with more then double the miles on it.

I have two Vectors . Same chassis as the Apex. My brother had a Nytro for 7 years . the only thing I liked on the Nytro was the engine and the seating position. Other wise the RS chassis is better in most ways .

If you want to improve your Apex try adding 2" of foam to the seat . Very cheap! and a 2 " Handle bar riser . If there's money in the budget get dual rate springs for the front and rear shocks . Have the shocks rebuilt . Snowtrackers for the skis . For around 500$ you can transform your sled to the next level. Look for used parts online in places like Market place or Barn of parts.com . There is a few threads on raising your seat if you do a search.

I think you made a wise choice .

Back