• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

121" to 136" skid extension

crazy canuck

Extreme
Just looking for feedback before installing 121" - 136" rail extensions. Is the ride and handling improved? Read somewhere that the track gets too tight when bottoming with the extensions due to the different geometry...any comments? Thanks.

What kind of sled do you have?I went from a 121"to a 136" last year and loved it I will never own a slewd under a 136" again.I thought it cornered just as good. ;)!

In a lot of conditions, a longer track can actually corner BETTER than a short. This is because the longer track has a lower pressure on the ground, therefore it stays at the surface better and slides across sideways easier. This, of course, doesn't hold if you put spikes in your track (can't imagine why anyone would want to, all they do is make any sled drive like garbage), then the shorter one will corner easier.

OK Time for a new track so i'm really thinking why not go to a 136 can i get by with just the rails or do i have to go with the tunnel extension also. I have an 03 121 and i am a cheap bast#%@ LOL what do youse guys recommend? I'm thinking about an Ice ripper for a track just for a little more traction on ice never studded and never will I just don't push it that hard (well maybe once in a while lol)

Thanks in advance

LazyBastard said:
The stock tunnel really isn't even long enough for a 121" - you know how the tail flap always gets sucked in? For 136, you will DEFINITELY need a tunnel extension. For your track, get a 9819. Best you can get.

LB who's extension do you recommend? I've looked at hartman but i know there a few others out there!

There's really no difference. Go with whatever you think looks the best. Hartman's bumper is round, MPI's is rectangular (and costs less). http://www.mountainperformance.com/rx1-xc.htm

I've got a couple of hartman rail extensions if you want - 7.5" if you can get your hands on just the tunnel extension. I can just send them to you (I figure I owe you). PM me your address and I'll rip them off the old skid this weekend. I think there might be an extra set of holes in them, but they're structurally sound.

LazyBastard said:
There's really no difference. Go with whatever you think looks the best. Hartman's bumper is round, MPI's is rectangular (and costs less). http://www.mountainperformance.com/rx1-xc.htm

I've got a couple of hartman rail extensions if you want - 7.5" if you can get your hands on just the tunnel extension. I can just send them to you (I figure I owe you). PM me your address and I'll rip them off the old skid this weekend. I think there might be an extra set of holes in them, but they're structurally sound.

Thanks LB i'll let you know :-o

I make a custom tunnel extension that makes use of the stock bumper. See link in my signature.

I just took a 136 extension off of my rx-1.It has a couple of extra small holes in it but it is straight.The price wood be cheep.

In process of converting to a 136 how important is the rear cooler? did'nt have one on the 121 but i have heard it will run hotter with the 136 anyone know if this is true and do I need to add the cooler

Thanks

Rear exchanger=yes, there was one on the forum for sale yesterday. I used a Warrior ext. Post a wanted in the Mountain section you should find one. Personally I like OEM the best, the fit is perfect, plus you still use all of your OEM plastic trim parts. Studs-track, I went with the pre-drilled ripsaw with woodys, I have already removed half of the studs and still have some push. I am very seriously considering removing all studs.

Convert, I did the same to my '03 a couple of years ago. I did the Hartman extension and then modified an aftermarket hitch that really worked well and upped the strength. I believe I chose the 9834 full block, fully clipped 1 1/4" track which is super durable and has great hook up. I changed the drivers to extroverts too (the reason for the fully clipped 9834). I got the Wahl drivers from Hartman at the same time. They do need to be machined down a minimum of 1/4" though. That set-up will totally change your '03. you will need to re-do all your rear suspension adjustments 'cause if you leave them as they are you will have a devil of a time keeping the skis down. Unless you ride on a lot of ice you shouldn't need studs. Get the suspension set right and you won't believe the difference. I have beaten 800 polaris', 800 ski-doos and a ZR-900 in drags of less than 1/4 mile (the ZR was picked too). That is with an otherwise totally stock RX-1. I never did a rear cooler and have never needed it (bleed the cooling system right when you put it back together). I also put a fourth wheel kit in. With the extroverts you will be able to run your track nice and loose.

Back