• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1998 Grizzly 600 running rough popping off intake boot! HELP

bbragg

My neighbor recently picked up a 1998 grizzly 600 that has been setting about 7yrs. He was told it was running when parked, but when he brought it home it had no spark. So I checked it out and found the stator was bad. After changing it, I got it running but it ideals like crap and it pops out the carb and sometimes pops the intake boot completely off then dies. I took it to my buddy who works on quads, and selds for a living and he couldn't even figure it out. He checked the valves, put a different carb on/ cleaned it and checked timing. I've had this quad all summer and am sick of it. Anyone have any idea?

how does the intake boot to the head look? they rot out over time and can cause some of the issues you are describing. has the timing been checked too? might be too advanced.

It's held on by a round hose clamp. How do I check the cam and crank timing?

the carb boots have an aluminum flange bonded into the rubber where it bolts to the head. these are bad for separating with age and allowing a vacume leak. the atv is old enough it may need one.

i do not know the specifics for that particular bike but the stators holes are slotted to advance/retard the timing. usually you use a timing light to make shure that the spark is firing at the perscribed # of degrees stated by the manual from top dead center. bike does not need to run for this check but i think you will need to make shure that the cam timing is correct 1st and then there is a mark (usually) on the flywheel that you can see through a hole that you put the light on to make shure it is firing at the proper time.

Back