• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1st 16 turbo / Engine Failure

I have contacted Yamaha Canada about the poor quality of the 2016 engines. I had the intention of boosting my sled. Of course when I discovered the issues with engine a month after purchase I was a little upset:whine:. This is the response I received,

Good morning!

This is information we just recently received from our resources that the MPI turbo is not compatible with the 2016 Viper models....This is currently under investigation.

Sincerely,
Remi

Not much of a response. I am not impressed at all with the lack of concern. The thing is also, these sleds will not be worth much on resale value!

Be patient. What that means to me is we will take care of you. Remember we are dealing with a HUGE corporation. Is rare to even see what you got.

Be patient. What that means to me is we will take care of you. Remember we are dealing with a HUGE corporation. Is rare to even see what you got.
I snow checked my sled last April. I received a letter from Yamaha congratulating me and offering a turbo for $2,400. I contacted my dealer right away and put another deposit down for the turbo. Since there in little to no snow here in Ontario I didn't bother to pick up my sled before New Years but I had to pay for it in full by dec 31st. I did so then drove the 2-1/2 hrs to finally go get my new ride on Jan 5th. I was told I can't have it and that they would let me know why and when it would be ready. I emailed my dealer on dec 9th telling him about the problems I read here on TY and they said neither they or Yamaha knew anything about it. Now he's telling me I was right and Yamaha is trying to figure out what to do. I will accept the sled with new rods installed and an extended warranty for no less than 2 years or my money back. I will post the outcome here when I know. Just wanted to share my experience in case it helps someone else.

i bought my sled last month, went in to buy a new 15 left over, got talked into the 16 for almost the same price-i was not aware of this connecting rod issue, so i took the deal the sales guy told me i could order the turbo when ever i was ready and the sled would still carry its 3 year warrenty so i was happy, now i was wishing i stuck to my guns and took the 15' i did speak to my dealer and they have paper work from yamaha implying new engines will be shipped out for the 16' sleds- probably
cheaper then dissasembling the engine and installing new rods, less labour swapping out engines.

i bought my sled last month, went in to buy a new 15 left over, got talked into the 16 for almost the same price-i was not aware of this connecting rod issue, so i took the deal the sales guy told me i could order the turbo when ever i was ready and the sled would still carry its 3 year warrenty so i was happy, now i was wishing i stuck to my guns and took the 15' i did speak to my dealer and they have paper work from yamaha implying new engines will be shipped out for the 16' sleds- probably
cheaper then dissasembling the engine and installing new rods, less labour swapping out engines.
I just saw your post on the other chat about new motors. That would be ok with me if I knew it wasn't the 15' motor that has the starter problems. In a perfect world the 16' motor with new rods would be my choice but I'm nowhere near as mechanically inclined as most guys here. The dealer has my trade in sled now too so I'm SOL if we do get some snow finally.

image.jpeg
Here is my 20k sitting outside waiting for Yamaha to tell me what they will do. Sad, very sad.

image.jpeg
i hear ya boys i road myn once 65 miles, now waiting to get somthin solid in writing about this new engine swap or elce my sleds goin back to the dealer and im getting a 15' wich sucks because i do like the looks of my 16' more

It is. But it will be worth it especially with a Turbo! I cant wait for you guys to hit the trails you will be amazed. Sorry for all the trouble though for sure. Lets hope some lessons are learned from this.

my 2 buddys bought new 15's last year a rtx le and a ltx se and they just got there mpi kits on and got out for the first ride, they say its unreal, totaly amazing power i cant wait ha

Here is the listing on Yamaha and in blue it says incompatible with all 16 models

View attachment 114208
That wasn't there a week ago and it's not in the hard copy catalog at my dealer. That was a "quick and cover our butts ASAP" move. In the end I'm confident Yamaha will look after me which is why I've only baught Yamaha products ( at least 20 ) over the last 25 years.

I picked up 2 new 2016's in September, a 141Le and an STX137, dealer told me in no uncertain terms DO NOT turbo them, if i did they would not last and Yamaha Canada would not warranty them if i did.
I am very glad I did not turbo them.
To the OP,You may be SOL

Last edited:

Back